The Wire.....

NoTeleBob

Friend of Leo's
I'm no prude, but the violence, sex, language, and just the generally graphic repulsiveness of almost every "series" today makes them complete trash. The very goal of these shows is to be offensive.

No thanks.

adjason

Poster Extraordinaire
I have not seen it but I did like We Own this City which is a newer version of Baltimore corrupt cops

Morgan Music

TDPRI Member
Vendor Member
O.P. - "Lousy script; weak actors, weak characters" - after only one episode. I'd say you've made your mind up and should just move on. For me, and millions of others - the show was excellent and let's us into worlds we don't frequent, or even know. Great television IMO.

Today I saw a NY Times list of the greatest crime shows ever:

1. Breaking Bad
2. The Wire
3. The Sopranos.

I think The Wire is easily #1 even though I thought Breaking Bad was excellent.

They had Better Call Saul ranked #10....I think it's deserves a higher rating....probably a top 5 show.

beyer160

Poster Extraordinaire
Today I saw a NY Times list of the greatest crime shows ever:

1. Breaking Bad
2. The Wire
3. The Sopranos.

I think The Wire is easily #1 even though I thought Breaking Bad was excellent.

They had Better Call Saul ranked #10....I think it's deserves a higher rating....probably a top 5 show.
I actually think Better Call Saul is better than Breaking Bad. Breaking Bad was great but I never actually liked Walter White, and you can't help but like Jimmy. That's what makes his arc so compelling.

Si G X

Friend of Leo's
I thought it was awful too. I did get through season one but bailed out after that.

Nicko_Lps

Tele-Meister
Last night I tried again and got through it and must say that is THE WORST tv I have ever endured!
Honestly... I still dont understand what is actually the reason this TV show is rated so high, its literally at the bottom tier for me.
Breaking bad
Better call Saul
Suits
Rome<-------------
Camelot<-------
Penny dreadful<----------------------------------------------------------------------

Many far better choices out there that where "canceled" because there why not that catchy.

Ricky D.

Doctor of Teleocity
I gigged for a year in the neighborhood where they filmed The Wire. That neighborhood was about as rough as it gets. A few incidents, but none involved band members.

Lawdawg

Friend of Leo's
You don't like the wire?
Sheeeeeeeeeeeit

1656104673095.png

Senator Clay Davis approved this message.

Recalcitrant

Tele-Meister
I'd say to give it at least 3-4 episodes and then decide if you want to continue. I wouldn't necessarily say the Wire got better since I thought it started strong, but the scope of the show expands with each season. Over its 5 seasons the Wire evolves into a show that is less about cops and criminals than it is about the failure of modern urban institutions to serve their citizens. If that sounds like a theme you're interested in, I'd recommend you try to get through at least the first couple of seasons, but if it isn't your thing I understand.
Yes . The drug-afflicted schools, docks, police hierarchy, and city hall are the tragic co-stars in the Wire; it’s partly about a city so constrained by crooked politics and corruption that it seems to have no hope at all; I think this is the best aspect of the show. I agree that some of the characters and dialogue aren’t quite at the same level, and the first season is uneven, but still I think it’s worth giving it a chance.

ahiddentableau

Tele-Holic
The language complaint, at least in terms of you saying you're fine with profanity in other films, is something that I find bizarre. I have no idea what you mean when you say it's "stilted". I don't see how you can think that the rank profanity in other shows/films is fine and credible but there's somehow about the first episode of the wire that is beyond the pale or inherently less credible. I'd be interested to hear you explain this further because you've lost me completely.

Other than that, so you don't like a show other people love. No big deal.

Harry Styron

Friend of Leo's
Agreed! I used to work with the people from the Office. That is why I probably love it so much.

We had an accounts payable person (Kevin) who paid a 1 cent invoice with a check.

We had a person (Dwight) who was supposed to clean the office after work in the evenings for extra cash. One day he took everything off of my desk and put it in a black trash bag as he had told everyone to clear off their desks so he could clean them.

We had a guy a person (Ryan) who was supposed to be a salesperson. He went on a month of sales calls to large cities staying in a hotel the entire week. The day his truck was repossessed in our parking lot he came forward and said he had taken his girlfriend with him on the sales calls and just laid by the pool all day.

We had a man (Creed) who was a manager who happened to find a blunt on the shop floor. He showed it to me and told me he had found it. I asked what he was going to do? He said, "I am going to light this one up after I get home today."

We had a manager (Michael) who came in one day and brought in a dozen hats which each had a different name on them. "Antagonist", "Negativity", "Yes Man", "Ignorant", and on down the line some of them pretty ugly. The meeting consisted of us each wearing a different hat during the meeting and expressing our concerns with the attitude on the hat.

We had a lady (Andrea) who dated at least six men in the office and ended up marrying one of the ladies in the accounting department.

We had a guy (Packer) who showed up to work drunk, at 8AM.

And last but not least...

We had a guy (Toby) who actually worked in HR also who prepared a proposal to cut down on shop accidents by "dulling the saw blades to ensure that any accidents involving the hands of the employees would not be so costly to the company". I kid you not!
And you were Jim?

Spox

Tele-Meister
I watched it online a decade ago then bought the boxset for my folks and watched it again with them, did the same with The Shield, Breaking Bad, Deadwood and Boardwalk Empire.
I enjoyed it and may watch it for a third time as there has been a long break since I last watched it.

Jay Isler

Tele-Meister
I thoroughly enjoyed The Wire. I thought the story and character development was excellent. I didn’t like it as much as Breaking Bad or the Sopranos though.

Mindthebull

Tele-Meister
The Wire seems dated now. It was written over 10 years ago and seems quaint now. First 2 seasons with the original story arc were great and after that I lost interest. Lots of jargon and drug slang. Felt like I needed a street dictionary to follow it at first (“re-up”????). Google was my friend.

I found Better Call Saul a mixed bag, about halfway through I got really tired of Jimmy and his brother. We all know what’s going to happen in the end so who cares….Yawn. I found Mike, Gus and Nacho’s story far more interesting and would skip through the episodes to get to the development of those characters. I wish they had just made a show about Mike.

Another great series out of Australia is called Mr. In-Between. It’s on pay per view. Follows a hit man type character and his attempts to live a normal life as a divorced dad and father to a tween-age daughter, and navigate the world of organized crime. Somewhere between the Sopranos, Breaking Bad and Pulp Fiction.

Mike M

Tele-Afflicted
Except for the second season, where they move to the dockworkers, I think the series gets immensely better every season

I thought the fourth season, where they introduce the school kids and teachers, was one of the best things on TV ever.