The Wire.....

Texicaster

Friend of Leo's
Ad Free Member
¡Bueno!™

Based on the numerous glowing reviews for the Wire tv show I bough the complete series a few months ago. Couldn't get through episode #1.

Last night I tried again and got through it and must say that is THE WORST tv I have ever endured!

The stilted F bombs and constant other profane insults and language. I can handle that but just so fake! The part where the detective is called into the "majors" office and he's flipping him the bird, 2 bird actually, with this 5th grade playground "this one goes up you **** and this one....."

Do people really talk like this? I've been around and have never been in the company of people who speak to each other in such fashion 100% of the time.

Does it get better? I have never experienced such a let down on such a universally praised show.

So far -5 stars! Lousy script; weak actors; weak characters; derived plot that I'm pretty such I can predict where it's gonna go....

Talk me into episode 2! And stay tuned for a The Wire Complete Series giveaway.....

hemingway

Poster Extraordinaire
I struggled at first, too. Didn't get it at all. But I hung in there and it was well worth it.

Reactions: BB

Preacher

Poster Extraordinaire
Yeah haven't seen it, but I recommended "The Office" to someone once.

I asked them a couple of weeks later if they enjoyed it. They said they watched two episodes and thought it was dumb.
:eek:

Bluego1

Friend of Leo's
¡Bueno!™

Based on the numerous glowing reviews for the Wire tv show I bough the complete series a few months ago. Couldn't get through episode #1.

Last night I tried again and got through it and must say that is THE WORST tv I have ever endured!

The stilted F bombs and constant other profane insults and language. I can handle that but just so fake! The part where the detective is called into the "majors" office and he's flipping him the bird, 2 bird actually, with this 5th grade playground "this one goes up you **** and this one....."

Do people really talk like this? I've been around and have never been in the company of people who speak to each other in such fashion 100% of the time.

Does it get better? I have never experienced such a let down on such a universally praised show.

So far -5 stars! Lousy script; weak actors; weak characters; derived plot that I'm pretty such I can predict where it's gonna go....

Talk me into episode 2! And stay tuned for a The Wire Complete Series giveaway.....
I gave it two whole seasons, looking for the magic. Never found it.

drmordo

Friend of Leo's
First of all, it's very unlikely you will predict where it will go. It's as much about the criminals as it is the cops.

Second, I was in the military for 20 years. The language on The Wire is very tame in comparison. Heck, my ex-wife cursed far more offensively than that show.

Marc Morfei

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
The Wire is not for everyone. It deals with some ugly things in a very realistic way. So yes, you get an unfiltered look at the worst the world has to offer. For me, the cursing didn't bother me, but the near-constant drinking, inebriation, vomiting, etc, seemed unnecessary. But if you stick with it, the show also depicts the humanity that is present in even the worst situations. The show has empathy for its characters, and shows you that the world is not black and white, mostly it is very grey. There are very sympathetic characters, people who are real underdogs that you can root for. It is at times depressing and hard to watch, but also very believable.

Chester P Squier

Friend of Leo's
Yeah haven't seen it, but I recommended "The Office" to someone once.

I asked them a couple of weeks later if they enjoyed it. They said they watched two episodes and thought it was dumb.
:eek:
I loved The Office. I had worked for Corporate America, and I liked the way it skewered them.

Texicaster

Friend of Leo's
Ad Free Member
First of all, it's very unlikely you will predict where it will go. It's as much about the criminals as it is the cops.

Second, I was in the military for 20 years. The language on The Wire is very tame in comparison. Heck, my ex-wife cursed far more offensively than that show.

It's not the language per se it's the fake usage.

A couple weeks ago I watch The Departed which had similar testosterone poisoned characters but the F bombs were seamless and natural. Another one that effortlessly grabs you seconds in!

Hopefully episode 2 is Godzilla invades Baltimore and kills every one.....but there's bunch of discs so that's probably not gonna happen....

beyer160

Poster Extraordinaire
FWIW, the creative team behind The Wire includes former Baltimore police officers and others with intimate knowledge of the workings of city government and institutions. By all accounts it's one of the best depictions of both sides of the law ever produced.

You don't have to like it of course, but it's not the product of some LA producers who've never been in a squad room.

Last edited:

Toast

Tele-Afflicted
¡Bueno!™

I've tried. I've played episode one multiple times, but I always fall asleep. If a show is good, I usually overcome my end-of-day fatigue. The Wire hasn't perked my interest much. I feel like I'm watching actors trying to achieve grittiness. When my mind wanders into critiquing the acting, I usually don't make it very far into a series.

I think I've had my fill of police dramas anyway. Without having made it passed 15 minutes into the first episode, I think I can already predict certain scenarios.

-unhappy wife married to a cop (nagging + fighting + maybe a kid who is having trouble at school)
-the obligatory scene where the cops from the station all meet at a bar
-the troubled, uncommunicative cop meets with his partner in a bar to talk about his nagging wife
-the cop who is cold toward his family because he's laser focused on a case (50% chance the case involves a serial killer)

on and on. I'm just bored with these same old plot cliches.

Last edited:

Lawdawg

Friend of Leo's
I'd say to give it at least 3-4 episodes and then decide if you want to continue. I wouldn't necessarily say the Wire got better since I thought it started strong, but the scope of the show expands with each season. Over its 5 seasons the Wire evolves into a show that is less about cops and criminals than it is about the failure of modern urban institutions to serve their citizens. If that sounds like a theme you're interested in, I'd recommend you try to get through at least the first couple of seasons, but if it isn't your thing I understand.

Texicaster

Friend of Leo's
Ad Free Member
I have no problem with grittiness!

I can mention plenty of films or series, as I already did above, that deal with similar subject matter in similar ways.

My issue is the script and the actors which fail to provide realistic or at least believable portrayals. I find it so sub par that I'm here rambling as I'm thoroughly baffled by ANY accolades it received!

I'm still hoping for a Godzilla appearance in ep.2!

Reminds me of Lucifers Hammer about a giant meteor heading to earth! Half way through you're rooting for the meteor as the characters are so awful!

Preacher

Poster Extraordinaire
I loved The Office. I had worked for Corporate America, and I liked the way it skewered them.

Agreed! I used to work with the people from the Office. That is why I probably love it so much.

We had an accounts payable person (Kevin) who paid a 1 cent invoice with a check.

We had a person (Dwight) who was supposed to clean the office after work in the evenings for extra cash. One day he took everything off of my desk and put it in a black trash bag as he had told everyone to clear off their desks so he could clean them.

We had a guy a person (Ryan) who was supposed to be a salesperson. He went on a month of sales calls to large cities staying in a hotel the entire week. The day his truck was repossessed in our parking lot he came forward and said he had taken his girlfriend with him on the sales calls and just laid by the pool all day.

We had a man (Creed) who was a manager who happened to find a blunt on the shop floor. He showed it to me and told me he had found it. I asked what he was going to do? He said, "I am going to light this one up after I get home today."

We had a manager (Michael) who came in one day and brought in a dozen hats which each had a different name on them. "Antagonist", "Negativity", "Yes Man", "Ignorant", and on down the line some of them pretty ugly. The meeting consisted of us each wearing a different hat during the meeting and expressing our concerns with the attitude on the hat.

We had a lady (Andrea) who dated at least six men in the office and ended up marrying one of the ladies in the accounting department.

We had a guy (Packer) who showed up to work drunk, at 8AM.

And last but not least...

We had a guy (Toby) who actually worked in HR also who prepared a proposal to cut down on shop accidents by "dulling the saw blades to ensure that any accidents involving the hands of the employees would not be so costly to the company". I kid you not!

drmordo

Friend of Leo's
Agreed! I used to work with the people from the Office. That is why I probably love it so much.

We had an accounts payable person (Kevin) who paid a 1 cent invoice with a check.

We had a person (Dwight) who was supposed to clean the office after work in the evenings for extra cash. One day he took everything off of my desk and put it in a black trash bag as he had told everyone to clear off their desks so he could clean them.

We had a guy a person (Ryan) who was supposed to be a salesperson. He went on a month of sales calls to large cities staying in a hotel the entire week. The day his truck was repossessed in our parking lot he came forward and said he had taken his girlfriend with him on the sales calls and just laid by the pool all day.

We had a man (Creed) who was a manager who happened to find a blunt on the shop floor. He showed it to me and told me he had found it. I asked what he was going to do? He said, "I am going to light this one up after I get home today."

We had a manager (Michael) who came in one day and brought in a dozen hats which each had a different name on them. "Antagonist", "Negativity", "Yes Man", "Ignorant", and on down the line some of them pretty ugly. The meeting consisted of us each wearing a different hat during the meeting and expressing our concerns with the attitude on the hat.

We had a lady (Andrea) who dated at least six men in the office and ended up marrying one of the ladies in the accounting department.

We had a guy (Packer) who showed up to work drunk, at 8AM.

And last but not least...

We had a guy (Toby) who actually worked in HR also who prepared a proposal to cut down on shop accidents by "dulling the saw blades to ensure that any accidents involving the hands of the employees would not be so costly to the company". I kid you not!

I definitely think people who have worked in an office get "The Office" and "Office Space" on a different level.

A few days back, a coworker was fighting with our printer, and I just said "PC Load Letter?!?" as I walked past him and got a surprisingly loud laugh from several people.

0SubSeanik0

Tele-Meister
The thing about The Wire is that the language, the violence... everything really... informs the characters, their motivations, and the situations. Absolutely none of it is gratuitous. The brilliance of that series is that it takes the time to explore everything, everyone, and how it's all woven together (knowingly or not).

A similar storytelling framework (by the same writers/producers, as well as several of the same actors) is "Treme," which I HIGHLY HIGHLY RECOMMEND, especially if you can't get past the subject matter of The Wire. The NOLA music is outstanding! If you start with Treme, maybe it will help manage your expectations for how to view (enjoy) The Wire? Maybe try that.

Robert H.

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
O.P. - "Lousy script; weak actors, weak characters" - after only one episode. I'd say you've made your mind up and should just move on. For me, and millions of others - the show was excellent and let's us into worlds we don't frequent, or even know. Great television IMO.