1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

The why's and how's of relicing a fretboard

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by SixShooter, Jul 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. appar111

appar111 Friend of Leo's

I know! I say, to the OP, relic the crap outta that neck, to heck w/ the naysayers, and if they don't like it, crack 'em in the head with it!

2. Vizcaster

Vizcaster Poster Extraordinaire

The video that chronicles the Blackie tribute shows a custom shop (master) builder using a dremel wheel with what appears to be a buff charged with some abrasive compound. So maybe some use a dremel with a buff and some use an electric eraser. Come to think of it I've got a little detail sander somewhere that's a little smaller than a pencil eraser, made for smoothing out chips in car paint, that might work (Wait, what am I saying, I'm one of those guys who hates relics. I think.)

The guy doing the Clapton tribute guitar was working off of a set of detailed photographs of Eric's guitar. I can't imagine what people would pay if Fender would publish those photos of EC's Blackie and SRV's #1 into a booklet or album. They also did tributes of a Hendrix guitar and plenty of other guitar heros with the same process.

3. vtcyclist

vtcyclist Tele-Afflicted

On the other hand.....if I owned a guitar that looks like some of these relics, i'd touch up the finish so it looks newer. I do own a 40 year old acoustic and I do buff out scratches and dings in an attempt to make it look like the owner (me) is proud of and takes care of his/her instrument. Because I am. I don't mind a patina of age, but I do not like the look of abuse. Whether intentional or not.

4. jjpish68

jjpish68 Tele-Holic

If this doesn't interest you then just move on, your opinion does nothing to help and really does not matter.

5. jpbturbo

jpbturbo Tele-Afflicted

My '77 jazz bass is fairly trashed so I must be a poser since I've only had it for 10 years.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.