1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

The why's and how's of relicing a fretboard

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by SixShooter, Jul 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. deaconque

deaconque Tele-Meister

I do believe this poor old chap may have seen the business end of a blow torch (neck pocket) :eek:

2. kwerk

kwerk Poster Extraordinaire

Yep, gotta agree.. when I saw this thread title I figured it would only be a matter of time before it went horribly wrong, though first and second reply must be a new record... nice to see it back on track tho.

3. Joely

Joely Tele-Meister

hiya,

not sure if this site is any use. he does a couple of hows to..... although i have never tried it myself.

http://www.relicdeluxe.com/

4. SixShooter

SixShooter Friend of Leo's

The 'why' was a reference to why vintage necks are worn in certain places (between the strings, end of fretboard). Those questions were answered for me. Believe me, I have no interest in baiting anyone.

5. motor_city_tele

motor_city_tele Tele-Afflicted

There is a science to creating a passable relic but also some intrigue as to how it got that way. I see it as sorta telling a story. I'm building a half dozen of relics - mostly differrent. each has a particular story to tell. My favorite is the guitar that was always handled with care - never banged or bashed. The metal parts have aged gracefully over time with a slight patina. The only thing that sticks out with this guitar is the amount of checking in the lacquer. What happened to that guitar. did it spend a frigid Michigan winter evening in the trunk, if so Why? what was so important as to leave your tele in the trunk? a woman maybe? -

As you can tell - I really don't care what others have to say - It's my fantasy.

Oh btw - there is a demand for relics - they sell. another good reason to make 'um.

6. JeradP

JeradP Former Member

Colt, I never get tired of seeing that horrendously gorgeous Tele. I love it. There's no way anyone could come close to duplicating all those ridiculous scars.

Does anyone know of a good site that has galleries of beat up old guitars? I think they're fun to look at.

(sorry for the breif hijack)

OP-I think the ashtray bridge scars are the coolest relic marks. Maybe throw one of those on there?

7. deaconque

deaconque Tele-Meister

8. sacizob

sacizob Friend of Leo's

[​IMG]
    My 2008 Hwy 1. Some of us like relic. Amber shellac over #2 pencil.

9. Muttcaster

Muttcaster Tele-Holic

It's not the leaving it in the trunk so much as it is the removing it from the cold trunk into a warm house. My '73 D-28 was pristine when I got it. What gave it most of these was removing it from the cold case to a fire-stove warmed country barn in order to play in an attempt to impress a cute lil' redhead. Didn't work. Guitar cracked instead. Oh, well. Nothing ventured, nothing gained. :)

[​IMG]

10. SixShooter

SixShooter Friend of Leo's

Very nice job.

Great story to go along with your (real) relicing.

11. Preacher

Preacher Friend of Leo's

My Daddy in Law has a '57 that has been played. I wanted it. He would not let me have it so I made my own.

[​IMG]

The picture does not let you see the neck too well. I will see if I have another.

12. Preacher

Preacher Friend of Leo's

This is the real neck... the relic would have fooled the dad in law if I had put a Fender logo on the headstock.

[​IMG]

13. JBennett

JBennett Tele-Afflicted

I think this wear comes from picking. If you pick over the last fret (which sounds great for rhythm playing) then the pick subtly scratches at the frets, wearing away finish, and then, if the guitar is old enough and played enough, with a heavy enough hand, wearing away wood.

14. Preacher

Preacher Friend of Leo's

I used fine steel wool, a little fine sandpaper on the end of my finger and pencil to mark the outlines of the wear spots. I pretty much sanded through the top coat just barely. It makes the maple of the fretboard look really really white. So I then went and got some WD40, sprayed some on my hands and went to rubbing it on the neck. The fish oils in the WD40 are pretty close to the oils in your hands. Let it dry and did a couple applications till it got to the color I wanted. Viola, done.
    Just don't overdo it.

15. adrianjordan

adrianjordan TDPRI Member

I'm thinking that those gloves that someone patented wouldn't actually be that bad an idea.

The way I'm thinking of trying is to mask off the entire fretboard, string the guitar up and play for a while with ink on my finger tips. That will show me where I would have worn away the finish. I'll then remove the masking tape except in those areas before lacquering the neck with a couple of thin coats. Once dried and cured I'll carefully sand the edge of the wear patches to soften them up and blend them into the lacquered areas before using something to darken up the exposed areas.

That is what I haven't decided on yet...I'm familiar with the Steel Wool, Vinegar and Tea method, but hesitant to do it on the fingerboard in case it goes wrong...engine oil might end up being used instead...

16. jefrs

jefrs Doctor of Teleocity

I see nothing wrong with relicing a guitar other than so many are poorly executed.

17. Shepherd

Shepherd Friend of Leo's

Or you can string it up with some of this and play it and get a fret polish at the same time :p.

[​IMG]

18. Sterling Sound

Sterling Sound Tele-Meister

I have a relic but actually the fake wear has blended with the playing wear since I use this stratocaster so much. It's always an inspiring piece of wood to pick up:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. jonal335

jonal335 Tele-Holic

Relicers make new guitars look old, car restorers make old cars look new. I can't see any problem...

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.