The Who Cover Band - Feedback appreciated!

Discussion in 'Twanger Central' started by ifurones, Dec 9, 2019.

1. ifurones

ifurones TDPRI Member

Hi!

I would love some feedback from you tdpri'rs regarding my who tribute band here in Spain. Some videos for you to check, if you like The Who (which we do):

What do you think? Any comments or suggestions?

erratick, decker, gridlock and 4 others like this.
  2. Mr_Martin

Mr_Martin Tele-Afflicted

I like your Band, but please hang your guitar lower.
    The Who are not a Jazz Band.

:)

pete.jpg

eddiewagner, Jim622, gridlock and 6 others like this.
  3. MrCairo46

MrCairo46 Friend of Leo's

Man , guitar player is in danger of choking himself with the guitar. Lower it.

eddiewagner, gridlock and ifurones like this.
  4. Verne Bunsen

Verne Bunsen Tele-Afflicted

I think you guys sound great! And for my part I couldn’t care less how high you choose to sling your guitar.

Ron R, erratick, Otis Fine and 5 others like this.
  5. ifurones

ifurones TDPRI Member

Good one, haha!

Though this:

[​IMG]

I tend to value playing comfort over aesthetics and have moved my playing position up throughout the years, but maybe I'll check how moving it again down works for me...

Any other comments? ;)

6. ifurones

ifurones TDPRI Member

Thanks!

It's not the most important thing to me either! But it's a frequent comment, more so from those watching the videos than from those attending the shows: some people's attention is trapped by my guitar's position. I will recheck if lowering a bit works well for me, just to let the audience have some attention available to -perhaps- enjoy the music :D

So thank you for all feedback, useful to me/us!

RiverDog and nojazzhere like this.
  7. Mr_Martin

Mr_Martin Tele-Afflicted

Yeah, but after Pete invented the Windmill he hung his Guitars lower :)

Squittolo and ifurones like this.
  8. ifurones

ifurones TDPRI Member

It's cool, it's cool. Man, these guys were good in so many aspects (composing, performance, sound, technical innovation with amps, synths and stuff...).

But then all of this is why we do a tribute to them...

9. EddieLocrian

EddieLocrian Tele-Afflicted

Its cool the way the guy on the right always takes a jump into the 1st chord on each song.

10. Unionjack515

Unionjack515 Tele-Holic

I liked the clips! The high guitar did catch my eye but whatever. I’d call yourselves a “cover band” and then you don’t have to worry about the height of your guitar. The “tribute band” label means wigs, carbon copied mannerisms, identical equipment, etc. Invokes visions of Greta Van Fleet. Oops was that out loud? :D

Anywho. Tempo a bit quick on The Real Me, bass needs some more growl and bite. Difficult to find the balance between the frequencies your guitar is occupying and what the bass covers...you know Entwistle covered a lot of sonic ground, and being a three-piece (plus vocalist), so did Townshend. Harmonies could use a bit of tightening but sounded nice overall!

11. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

I'm impressed. I've loved The Who since I got my copy of The Who Sings My Generation in 1966, and I've attempted a few Who songs with different bands.....in college we did See Me, Feel Me into Listening To You as our closer....always got a good response. I Can See For Miles is a REALLY hard one to sound right, you guys do a pretty good job. Over all I give y'all an A-......excellent job.
    BTW, I don't care WHERE you wear guitar.....play it where it feels the best! ;)

ifurones likes this.
  12. mimmo

mimmo Friend of Leo's

Me gusta muchissomo!
    Great job!

ifurones likes this.
  13. ifurones

ifurones TDPRI Member

That's right. Not a tribute band, really; not trying to imitate in a theatrical fashion, but aming to connect to the same source they were connected to. At least speaking for myself, then there's some debate in the band around that from time to time. For example, the issue of the British flag. I don't know, it made sense for The Who, because they were from the UK. We are not from the UK, so that would seem a bit silly to me. And feeling silly doesn't help me play The Who.

Cover band, noted :D

What we discuss more frequently is e.g. the bass sound, in which in my personal opinion we need a) a lot of bass b) a lot of treble c) a lot of volume. It is interesting how The Who achieved clarity, with so wide spectrum covered by both guitar and bass. In any case, as for the guitar, I cannot afford to have DR103 & 2x 4x12, so it gets more middy / higherish for me, which is ok not to get into the mid-low centered bass, I believe.

But, together I think we do not cover as wide a sonic range as they did. We have more of a normal rock band sound.

The "I cannot afford" above is related to "I am not allowed to". In the Sparks take (from last Saturday) I had to move from my beloved 40W mode to 15W and then not even 50% for the master & gain. I play the low E and I have to fight to fill the space. Not the Woodstock archetype ;)

14. FenderGuy53

FenderGuy53 Poster Extraordinaire

Honestly, I never really liked The Who. I found them to be more "noisy" and "full speed ahead" and less "musical" and "nuanced". But that's just me.

To your question: When you're gigging in clubs, I suppose it's difficult to set up and rehearse in an empty room, then expect it to sound the same way when the room is crowded and noisy.

In any case, the audio sounded thin and tinny, to my ears.

ifurones likes this.
  15. ifurones

ifurones TDPRI Member

Well, that's not just you, it's a lot of people out there :) Not our main target audience, obviously. But thanks for leaving your comments here, anyway.

I don't expect that, but I do not have a lot of experience, so we learn slowly the hard way. It's not just the audience, it's the venue size, the legal volume limit, the sound guy, the venue's gear... a lot of dependencies.

Note also that these are recorded with a zoom q2n camera with its simple mic, placed wherever possible...

But yes, I would like a wider spectrum with more emphasis on bass.

Just don't know how to do that reasonably. Some of the videos use two 1x12, others one 1x15. Thinking about getting a lightweight DV Mark 212V Gold. Also, I do not put much bass on the amp, because it gets a bit muddy. That doesn't happen with my Mywatt 100, but this is really overkill, oversize and overweight.

Then there is the bass guitar itself, we need that to become a thunder.

16. stormin1155

stormin1155 Tele-Meister

Damn! That looks like fun!

ifurones likes this.
  17. Rick330man

Rick330man Tele-Afflicted

Me recuerda de otra época cuando yo caminaba por Madrid con una hebilla de cinturón que decía "The Who" y la gente me miraban como algo raro.

I agree with you on the bass. Maybe it is just the mix, but the booming bass the Ox was known for is not there. Also keep in mind that the Who were unique in that Keith Moon and the Ox played the drums and the bass, respectively, essentially as lead instruments. It oftentimes really was Pete keeping time playing rhythm guitar. That unusual trait oftentimes presents a problem for bands that are trying to pay tribute because few of us can play drums like Keith Moon or bass like the Ox.

But you guys make a fine effort. I may have to check out your band next time I am in town.

Saludos y buena suerte.

ifurones likes this.
  18. 57fenderstrat

57fenderstrat Tele-Meister

Sounds good nice job.

In sparks when it builds up to that big sustained E though you gotta let it ring and hold the arms out like the birdman while it rings into feedback with unrelenting power and authority! Your guitar is the sound of two world wars and new savage machines of destruction used in them !

Haha In all seriousness sounds good, The Who are are hard band to cover

ifurones likes this.
  19. joe_cpwe

joe_cpwe Tele-Holic

good job, keep it going

eddiewagner and ifurones like this.
  20. ifurones

ifurones TDPRI Member

I agree, but already at this level the soundman was about to commit suicide with our 107dB vs the legal limit of 105dB for the venue...

57fenderstrat likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.