the whipping post

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by teleon, Jan 21, 2020.

1. teleon

teleon Tele-Holic

Last edited: Jan 21, 2020
    Doc3, swany, Georox and 1 other person like this.
  2. suthol

suthol Friend of Leo's

Nice, we covered this back around 1970 lots of fun to play

Looking back it was probably a bit weird bracketing this with the likes of Court Of The Crimson King, Sand And Foam by Donovan, Broken Wing by Mayall and 25 or 6 To 4

The times when bands could have fun and let their hair down ( lots of both )

3. Doc3

Doc3 Tele-Meister

Find a picture and I guarantee it will look like an ad for the Hair Club. Not an easy set. At least it was pre-mullett. Right?:rolleyes::confused::cool::p

Skydog1010 likes this.
  4. Georox

Georox Friend of Leo's

What a great band they were.

Skydog1010 likes this.
  5. gregulator450

gregulator450 Tele-Meister

Back in the 2010's (that sounds so weird), there used to be a band in Tempe, AZ called Mr. Eastwood, and they did a fantastic cover of Whipping Post. They changed it up a bit and really made it their own, and I almost liked it better than the original version. There is not any good audio or video out there of it, or I would share; the little bit of footage I was able to find really does the band and the song an injustice. It's a shame Mr. Eastwood didn't go on forever, because they were a band that should have been touring with national acts like Blackberry Smoke or the Allman/Betts Band.

6. Doc3

Doc3 Tele-Meister

The Duane Allman Band was one of the best rock and blues bands with a wide open future. Duane had plans to add a horn section ala Tower of Power and record some Miles Davis and Coltrane.

Duane was still getting better at the time of his death. He had just written his first song Little Martha and had left rehab focused on music.

To me the Allman Brothers Band without Duane always sounded like a cover band. It was like Noel Redding and Mitch Michell hiring a replacement for Jimi Hendrix and touring as the Jimi Hendrix Experience. There was no replacement for Brother Duane.

We are coming up on 50 years since Duane passed.

Georox likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.