The weird and wonderful Gibson guitars

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by Kontaktmoi, Sep 16, 2019.

1. Fretting out

Fretting out Tele-Holic

Ha! I get what you’re saying but they already forgot Alaska and Hawaii maybe if he contacts gibson They can make him a piece shaped like Alaska to put on his strap and a Hawaii piece to dangle from the cable

2. Ricky D.

Ricky D. Doctor of Teleocity

Very. Extremely. Cool. Guitar.

About the most uncomfortable shape I've ever seen, but I don't care. After I get a few other guitars and hit the Lotto, I want one just to have.

thunderbyrd likes this.
  3. Kontaktmoi

Kontaktmoi Tele-Meister

No idea but interesting question.

4. Kontaktmoi

Kontaktmoi Tele-Meister

That's exactly what I thought.... ehh.... without the Lotto thing.. LOL

Ricky D. likes this.
  5. Ricky D.

Ricky D. Doctor of Teleocity

It's in that category of things I would buy if I had a very large windfall. :)

6. John C

John C Friend of Leo's

I remember the Victory guitars; I did try one out at a store back in the day and really liked it - it was typical Gibson scale; their later SuperStrat types were 25.5" scale. The one I tried was the Victory MVX - it had a middle single stacked/noiseless coil; the MVII only had the 2 humbuckers. The neck was late 70s/early 80s style slim taper; made for a very nice combo - but I'll admit that I had only been playing about 2 years when I found these in the stores. This store also sold Hamers, and I believe I liked the Hamer Prototype better than the Victory (and the Hamer Special/Studio better than the Prototype).

Interestingly enough I now have a PRS Vela, that is a pretty similar shape to the old Victory guitars (sorry for the non-Gibson photo, but you can see what I mean:

Victory MVX:

[​IMG]

My PRS Vela:

[​IMG]

7. thunderbyrd

thunderbyrd Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

yes, i for sure see the likeness! that model PRS is attracting my interest these days. i love the way they look, but i want a strat configuration on the pick ups. i am interested in Space Blues guitars - futuristic, exotic. the Vela has that look.

8. John C

John C Friend of Leo's

Space blues, Strat configuration - how about an EBMM Albert Lee? While they've gotten really pricey lately they can still be had on the used market for about the same price as a used American Deluxe/American Elite Strat.

thunderbyrd likes this.
  9. Kontaktmoi

Kontaktmoi Tele-Meister

Let me do one more... this is not a Gibson but the thread is going where it wants to go.

This is an aluminum body guitar. Made by a metal shop, initially for Fender who made a few special Custom Shop guitars like the Harley Davidson and Aloha guitars. After the run was completed, PK was able to get an agreement with the folks and purchased some aluminum bodies, anodized them and build them out. They are the Peter Kellett guitars.

Here is a great custom built guitar...

https://reverb.com/item/25544128-pe...zed-strat-style-guitar-one-of-a-kind-anodized

Anodized aluminum body and anodized pick guard.
    Wilkinson tremolo bridge.
    Sperzel locking tuning machines.
    Birdseye maple neck.
    22 frets.
    25 1/2" scale length.
    1 5/8 nut width.

Here are some pictures.

IMG_5054.JPG IMG_5055.JPG IMG_5056.JPG IMG_5057.JPG IMG_5058.JPG IMG_5059.JPG IMG_5060.JPG IMG_5062.JPG

Last edited: Sep 20, 2019
    thunderbyrd likes this.
  10. thunderbyrd

thunderbyrd Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

you are right, the albert lee does have that look. I can only remember seeing one of those in a shop years back. but if one comes around here, i'll go check it out.

i had a MM bass once, it was a fantastic instrument.

11. POS Guitars

POS Guitars Tele-Meister

I've seen worse.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.