The weight of putting a dog down

Cosmic Cowboy

Tele-Afflicted
It is heartbreaking. Though the actual process was quite peaceful and less traumatic than I was prepared for. Dogs are so great and unfortunately they don't live too long. Its one of those experiences that teach us about the impermenance of all things.

soundchaser59

Friend of Leo's
Ad Free Member
I had to put my 16 year old buddy girl down at Thanksgiving. She was blind and was losing the use of her back legs, but she tried so hard to be her old self for me every day. My wife had to tell me how much Wendy was struggling. I was so used to helping her get around and having her follow the sound of my voice and my hands clapping that I didn't even think about how much she was struggling. Every time I spoke or clapped she would turn to me and come to me like we had been apart for days, even though it was only a few seconds. But it was time to let her go.

I held her the entire time. As long as I'm holding her and she knows she's in my arms then she was content to retire and cross the rainbow bridge.

The mistake I made was having them come at the end of the day. It was too late to take her to the pet cemetery to be cremated. So we covered her up on her favorite sleeping bag and waited till morning to take her in. I knew it was a mistake as soon as I came down stairs in the morning. I reached out to touch her little furry head one last time and she was cold. I cried instantly and realized how sorry I was that I let that happen. I'm sorry Wendy.

I will never make that mistake again. But I will always give a dawggie a home furever. They are so worthy.

Nicko_Lps

Tele-Meister
Posting here to get it out.
When i was in your position a few years ago i kept hoping for miracles and did not put my Nikki down when the vet was almost sure she wont make it and i ended up seeing my most trusted friend suffering for 3 hours..

You did the right thing, i wish i had made your choice a while ago when i had to!
Dont forget there are stray dogs in a shelter out there that need a good and caring family like yours, get a new dog and never forget the ones you lost.

I hope that helps

SpaceAceman

Tele-Meister
Just remember- once the pain passes....you have the opportunity for a whole new relationship with a new dog, one that is desperately looking for a person to love.

Stubee

Doctor of Teleocity
It’s what we must do but it’s so hard. Years ago we had to put our 16 & 1/2 year old dog Joie down. She’d been a wonderful dog, the easiest to train of any we’ve owned and was with me nearly constantly from day one. Three full weeks later I went up to our cottage to pheasant hunt with my neighbors. I walked over when they arrived to greet them and when one asked “Where’s Joie?” I burst into tears like a little baby as I tried to explain. They understood. It was just as emotional a time with our next dog, Jena.

I’m sorry. Hang in there.

Deeve

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
I'm glad others have found appropriate graphics (esp the UbertoolComic)
The experience is beyond words, although Dean Koontz got pretty close.
Sending a man-hug your way.
Peace - Deeve

Attachments

• Buddy27101.jpeg
    Buddy27101.jpeg
    83.7 KB · Views: 5

DesmoDog

Tele-Afflicted
The day we had to put my favorite dog down, I got annoyed things weren't moving fast enough. Long story I won't get into but things had become obvious. She was hurting and scared, there was no getting better. I wasn't the only one there and the vet was just trying to be nice and not rush things, but it was killing me to see Sophia lying there with her paws trembling. It's time. Now. Let's go...

The day we had to put Desmo down was a different experience. He made it just shy of his 17th birthday. It wasn't as clear cut but even he seemed to realize he'd a had a great run and it was time. I was ok that day, no tears... until the vet who had been looking after him for 15 years leaned over and kissed him before giving him the shot. That was it, no more Mr. Tough Guy for me. Cripes, I'm tearing up typing this.

In any case, it's never easy. Condolences...

telleutelleme

Telefied
Ad Free Member
My heart goes out to you. Faced it this past year and will probably have to go through it again this year. I do it because you have too, but it doesn't make it any easier knowing that.

getbent

Telefied
Gold Supporter
I have been in those shoes. it is rough. our girl perked up when she got the first shot and the vet was kind of surprised then he said, 'you know, she has probably felt so much pain that for the first time in a bit, she felt better. You are doing the right thing.'

I think about her every day... she was such a good girl, just like your pup.

65 Champ Amp

Tele-Afflicted
Yeah, we do get attached. Sorry for your loss.

When I was a teen, I held the old GSD I’d grown up with in my lap out behind the vet’s office while he did the deed.

Never saw the need for that since. I just let them pass on their own, and it has always been just as mercifully peaceful as with the injection.
The last one had congestive heart failure. And when it was his last day, I knew it. I told my wife as she left for work to say goodbye to Dave. My other dog and I cuddled with him on the kitchen floor until his heart gave out.

Now this current dog. He’s a 50lb mutt. First non purebred of my 65 years. But he is the smartest and most devoted dog I have ever known. But, see, he was my oldest son’s dog. And my son died of injuries he suffered in Afghanistan. So when this good boy passes on, I will cry like a baby. Just like I did the day I found my son in his room.

Sorry. This is a little moody. Forgive me. I just got a positive result for the virus we can’t mention.

Billy3

Tele-Holic
So sorry! I've been there myself twice. Not an easy time. But there comes a time in all life when it's time to go. That's the hardest part when we love. Lots of good little doggies out there who need a good home. Might help. Just my 2 cents. Again sorry about your loss.

brindlepicker

Tele-Meister
Sorry to hear about it. I’ve had to put 3 down in my adult life. My coon dog Stormy was a heartbreaker. She was so good at her job and a great temperament of a dog too.
Jimmy was a stray that made it to 17 when my boy was about 5 or 6. I was out digging the hole before I took him in to the vet. My son came over by me then went in the barn. He came back out with a spade and started digging beside me silently. I’ll never forget that.

Tone Quest

Tele-Holic
So sorry for your loss. Been there too many times myself. Let yourself grieve, but remember the good times. Prayers up for healing your broken heart.