The weight of putting a dog down

stxrus

Poster Extraordinaire
My condolences
Taking a pet on that final journey is the hardest and best thing you can do.
They were there for you in so many ways and being there with and for them at the end, in my opinion, is the best thing you can do for them

SuprHtr

Tele-Afflicted
Silver Supporter
Sad, sad experience. You have my sympathy. I’m running through the list of companions who have left us and the two that were the hardest to accept were when we made the decision. It feels like a betrayal on one level, but it’s for the best and you must take comfort in knowing that you averted suffering. Maybe the sadness we feel is the price for the accumulated joy that they provided.

rarebreed

Tele-Afflicted
So sorry for your loss, my wife and I both feel your pain. We've had to have two of our dogs put down in the last few years. I held them both and talked to them while they passed. I sure hope that when it's my time to leave this earth, that I'll not only get to see family and friends that left before me, but I'll get to see my dogs and run and play with them again.

rarebreed

Tele-Afflicted
So sorry for your loss, my wife and I both feel your pain. We've had to have two of our dogs put down in the last few years. I held them both and talked to them while they passed. I sure hope that when it's my time to leave this earth, that I'll not only get to see family and friends that left before me, but I'll get to see my dogs and run and play with them again.

naveed211

Friend of Leo's
Truly sorry for your loss.

It’s never easy. With our last dog we had to put down, we only had him three years, he was a rescue as a stray, about 7-8 years old when we got him. Had lots of health problems, but was the sweetest dog you could imagine. It felt much longer than that (he was slow moving, definitely taught us some patience!). He couldn’t walk anymore and was deteriorating fast so we made the decision. It was my job to take him in, my wife couldn’t handle it. I’ll never forget that day and crying with him in his final moments. You never forget.

Sending good vibes your way, and hoping for a nice long healthy life for our two knuckleheads we’ve gotten since our last dog passed.
A774BBC3-725C-4421-8ECB-F8D3E50FCC25.jpeg

markal

Tele-Afflicted
Sorry to read this. I’ve done it three times now and it never gets any easier, but it’s the right thing to do when their time comes. Good on you for holding him. It’s better for him and for you.

Heal well.

Chester P Squier

Friend of Leo's
Sorry for your loss.

We were able to have our old boy pass in a spot in the living room of his choosing, with a vet who handled it.

Never easy...sorry for the loss.
Threads like this remind me of when we put down our dog. The vet's office was a few short blocks from our house, so the vet came over to our house. The dog passed peacefully on a grassy slope in our back yard.

Such are sad occasions.

421JAM

Tele-Afflicted
So sorry for your loss. Our dog has been going through lymphoma since June and we try to treat every remaining day with her like a gift. We’re going to miss her so much. I truly feel for you and share your pain.

netgear69

Friend of Leo's
It is a sad time been there twice i can totally sympathise
It does effect some people massively infact the only time i ever saw my father cry was when the dog had to be put down
good on you for giving your pets a great life