The weight of putting a dog down

Cheap Trills

Tele-Afflicted
Last night, I held our family dog while the vet sedated him then stopped his heart. He's a family dog, joined my parents household 16 years ago with his brother, who drowned in the pool a few months ago. His health deteriorated in the time since, and a few days ago the tumor in his stomach began causing internal bleeding to the point he could no longer eat. Him and his brother were the first dogs our family had, and for a period when my siblings and I were not producing grand children, they were the "grandkids". I trained them, taught them tricks and obedience. I've always been their "alpha", so when his vet appointment turned into what it turned into, I'm glad I was able to rush over just in time to see him on his way.

It was tough because he seemed so alert and okay. We asked the vet what she'd do if it were her dog as I suspect most people in this situation do. I didn't shed any tears, there was enough of that in the room, but my heart did race as she did the final injection and maybe a light misting under my glasses. She asked if we were ready, but I think anything would have been too fast. I felt his heart stop beating in my hand a moment later.

It just felt weird after. I came home to my house that I left so abruptly just an hour prior and my infant daughter was put in my arms and I had to immediately gave her back. I didn't explain why, but that feeling of something I was caring for dying in my arms was still there. I just couldn't hold her.

I really didnt think it would affect me. I know he's had a good run. I dug the hole and buried his brother not too long ago, and my role was to be there for my mother and sister and that as that. But, for whatever reason, I couldn't really sleep last night and the experience is still heavy on my mind today.

Posting here to get it out.

Last edited:

Esquire Jones

Tele-Meister
Sorry for your loss my friend. You were a good alpha. Our little dog is getting along in years and can see this day coming too. Amazing how dogs become part of us. Sad but inevitable. Mostly just sad.

pope858

TDPRI Member
The hardest part of loving a dog.
Journey Home.jpg

Last edited:

tap4154

Doctor of Teleocity
The hardest pet of loving a dog.
View attachment 939967
That really explains exactly what I was thinking. The hardest thing about losing a pet is that you can't talk to them, and they are SO innocent. When you lose a family member, you go through the process, and you can talk to them, and you both understand what is happening, and it's much easier to reconcile what has happened when they pass.

I remember when one on my parents dogs was getting really old and feeble, and I was over and it was really lethargic, but it sat at my feet and tried its best to be itself. They said that one day soon after he walked outside over to the side of the house, and laid down and died. He knew it was time. That you were there when it passed, was a comfort to your pet.

StratDal

Tele-Afflicted
Thank you and thank you all for posting. Like everyone, I've been there too. While sad, it's what we sign up for the day dogs become part of our lives and our pack. I wouldn't trade those times for anything including the those when we had to finally say good-bye.

Bless you all and all of our here and gone. When it's our time, may they be the first to greet us. 🌹

StrangerNY

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
So sorry for your loss. A friend sent this quote when we had to put our Cody down nearly 10 years ago. I hope it gives you a little solace.

“Dogs’ lives are short, too short, but you know that going in. You know the pain is coming, you’re going to lose a dog, and there’s going to be great anguish, so you live fully in the moment with her, never fail to share her joy or delight in her innocence, because you can’t support the illusion that a dog can be your lifelong companion. There’s such beauty in the hard honesty of that, in accepting and giving love while always aware that it comes with an unbearable price. Maybe loving dogs is a way we do penance for all the other illusions we allow ourselves and the mistakes we make because of those illusions.”

– Dean Koontz, from The Darkest Evening of the Year

Lef T

Tele-Afflicted
I'm glad I was able to rush over just in time to see him on his way.
You were with him all those years and got to be beside him when he took his last breath on this planet.
He was as fortunate to have you as you were to have him.
You loved him and cared for him and he had a long run under your care.
I have been there and it crushed me when I had to put my best friend to sleep.
It is hard for some people to understand the bond between a person and their dog.
I think the bond is even more than human.
I am sorry for your loss.

Tele-friend

Tele-Afflicted
This things are always hard.
I was also crushed when our family dog died a couple of years ago.
Take all the time you need for grief and then carry on.
Sorry for your loss.

richiek65

Poster Extraordinaire
Thank you and thank you all for posting. Like everyone, I've been there too. While sad, it's what we sign up for the day dogs become part of our lives and our pack. I wouldn't trade those times for anything including the those when we had to finally say good-bye.

Bless you all and all of our here and gone. When it's our time, may they be the first to greet us. 🌹
I'm not religious but I like this
images (45).jpeg

Last edited:

teletimetx

Doctor of Teleocity
sorry for the loss and condolences to the OP and all others who know this loss. Was just sitting in front of our fireplace, missing one of our dogs who so loved to lie in front of it; Mrs. 3T then reminded me of the many animals who have shared our house but are now gone.

It's a very hard decision to make. And yes, as already mentioned, even though it's baked in from the beginning, the process is anxiety, anguish and grief - all of which will pass.

Knowing that these animals had good homes is evidence again that humans are capable of kindness, in the face of many examples to the contrary.

Kindness is it's own reward? I think so.

Nightclub Dwight

Friend of Leo's
I'm so sorry to read about your loss. I hope that writing about it here helps you to overcome this sadness.

In my opinion, putting a pet animal down is both the saddest things we have to do, but also the most compassionate thing we do as well. Pets rely on us for their very existence, and they return the favor with unconditional love. It is a huge responsibility as a pet owner to recognize when the time is right. We sometimes selfishly want them to live forever, even though we know that is not possible.

I wish you peace in your heart.

Cesspit

Tele-Holic
I had our beloved Dexter put down on November 29th 2021. Like you I held him in my arms as he took his last breathe. Devastated does not come close to how I felt and still feel and I'm not to proud to say I am welling up as I write this.
He was only 8 and had very aggressive cancer so I had to provide the greatest kindness and stop his pain but it is no consolation.
I am so sorry for your loss and I hope time eases the pain but so far mine has not diminished, I see him everywhere and as I work from home he was beside for 8 years. There is a huge gap in my life now and I honestly don't know what to do. Not sure what else to say really except I am hanging in there and I hope you will too.