The way people remember something, and how it actually happened.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Toto'sDad, Sep 25, 2019.

1. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

I’ll use the mpeg analogy. When you open a memory, you are opening what YOU wrote to YOUR memory. It passes through filters like self image, world view, personal values and so forth before being written. Furthermore, it’s compressed. So what you’re opening is already highly processed. When you close the memory, you write it again, AFTER passing it through the same or even different filters and compress it again. Just like an mpeg video, it loses accuracy each time it is saved back. This isn’t to say you should never trust your memory or even someone else’s. I’m saying that a memory isn’t the occurrence or event. It’s a representation of it that loses accuracy over time. Actually I find the whole thing kind of fun on a personal level, but in court I’ll trust the camera over the eye witness every time.

2. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire

I was told once to "write down exactly what you saw immediately after seeing it." Not later
    I like dash cams and body cams for cops....

3. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Well officer I hit the guy over the head with a 2x4 because he was attacking me. I'm claiming self-defenses. Officer: I understand your position sir, but you do happen to be standing in the guy's wife's bedroom wearing her panties, would you care to go into a little further detail on this particulars of this incident?

4. rcole_sooner

rcole_sooner Poster Extraordinaire

Human memory is the worst of all evidence.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.