The way people remember something, and how it actually happened.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Toto'sDad, Sep 25, 2019.

1. TokyoPortrait

TokyoPortrait Tele-Afflicted

Hi.

I might be wrong, but it seems we’re talking about two things here. Not only recollection / recall, but also the problematic act of observation in the first place. So two areas of possible error or incompleteness?

Pax/
    Dean

Bristlehound, Moriarty and Lawdawg like this.
  2. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Friend of Leo's

It's a college thing I guess. I saw it when I was in college and later we did a stage production of it. I was kind of the gaffer for it, setting up lights and such.

3. Lawdawg

Lawdawg Tele-Holic

@TokyoPortrait is exactly right. Our initial perception of something is itself prone to subjective error even before taking into account problems with memory/recollection. It's entirely possible for someone to have a 100% accurate recollection of an objectively incorrect observation.

Rashomon should be required viewing!

4. Stringbanger

Stringbanger Telefied Ad Free Member

I just posted here, or was it there, or is it a dream? I’m not sure. People also use the old “I forget” excuse, when you know 9 times out of 10, they remember.

5. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

There's only one "i" in the way you, and you rest of the world spell "something." The letter "i" on my keyboard is raring to go, and likes to make a strong impression. What I actually mean is, thanks for pointing that out, I edited the poor misguided errant "i" out of the title.

drlucky likes this.
  6. Toto'sDad

It depends, what's your story?

7. Toto'sDad

Time, don't we wish we could avoid it without having to croak.

8. Endless Mike

Endless Mike Friend of Leo's

There probably won't be one. It seems it will likely just keep evolving. Well, okay, there's always the Sun going supernova/red giant or whatever.

9. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

SoOOoo... you're one of them there optimists?

Bristlehound likes this.
  10. P-Nutz

P-Nutz Tele-Afflicted

The Mandela effect ...

Jimmy Owen likes this.
  11. Harry Styron

Harry Styron Tele-Afflicted

I need a mnemonic for CRS. And for mnemonic.

Stringbanger likes this.
  12. Endless Mike

Nah, just a realist. The difference between a realist and a pessimist? A realist doesn't use the reality of their situation or circumstance as an excuse for being miserable. I'm okay with whatever happens. I'm Alfred E. Neuman!

13. Endless Mike

Indeed, it is here. At the tail end of the 90's and early 00's I saw it beginning, but it was fun, playful, an opportunity to make a game out of things. Since then it has turned into something else, and like you, am unwilling to get into all of that, as "fake news" seems to be the tip of the iceberg.

Sad thing is people don't recognize propaganda, and conspiracy theory has become a term that denies questioning official narratives. Conspiracies happen and are a well established part of history. But that can't be discussed, and is better left unaddressed here as well.

So, I don't have a one track mind! I have an 8-track mind, they just don't make the tapes anymore. That's a relief!

codamedia likes this.
  14. Endless Mike

Yes, you're correct. So when it comes to believing much of what we think, we're delusional. Is it any wonder the world is the way it is? We're all seeing different versions of the same thing! Or so it appears.

15. stormin1155

stormin1155 Tele-Meister

As several others have noted, memory is malleable… that means that every time you recall an event, your memory of it can change. One of my very first memories was when my younger brother was born. I was 2 1/2 at the time and remember being on the sidewalk with my older sister when the folks drove up, bringing him home from the hospital. My sister and I were jumping up and down and shouting Kimie! Kimie! (His name is Kimber, and we called him Kimie.) I shared that memory with my mom many years later, and she said that was interesting, since they didn't name him until several days after bringing him home.

An interesting demonstration of the unreliability of eye witnesses happened in 1952 at an airshow in Farnborogh, England. There were 120,000 spectators. One of the planes crashed into the crowd, killing 31 people. The event was filmed by numerous professional photographers and many amateur spectators, so there was plenty of hard evidence of exactly what happened, but investigators also called for eyewitnesses to come forward and recount what they saw. Over 500 people came forward and were interviewed. Of those 500, only 8 of them recounted accurately what all of the film evidence showed.

16. ndcaster

ndcaster Poster Extraordinaire

You'll have to ask my wife. She remembers EVERYTHING.

Toto'sDad likes this.
  17. Toto'sDad

I'm amused by those folks saying memories change, or are fallible. My wife's memories that are of something I've done real or imagined that were not to her liking are indelible and forever!

Rowdyman likes this.
  18. Shuster

Shuster Poster Extraordinaire

This is too good to pass up, I'll be back too laugh my @$$ off, bed time!

19. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Humans once lived in smaller groups, and "spectacular" events were probably far and few in number. The central nervous system of the observer was not overloaded with Hollywood Action Movies and video games and the horrific events from an entire globe, delivered unfiltered to them. That's all changed now.

I think the observer, especially if he or she lacks specialized training, can be EXPECTED to not get the facts right. We already know that when witnesses are interviewed and they narrate what they saw PRECISELY the same every repeat time they're interviewed, they're probably fabricators, so why are we blind to the reality that recollection of such events is approximate? Approximate may once have been good enough, but as society marches towards greater precision, we're at a crossroads as to whether we should still respect and prize eye witness testimony much longer.

20. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Right. Sometimes my recollections of events that were carefully PLANNED but didn't get off the ground, are the strongest.

Some part of your brain is still ready for the event as though it might yet happen. I, for one, have a way of "checking off" on an event once it is accomplished. Once the groceries have been bought, and twenty minutes passes, not only can I not tell you if we needed (and bought) tuna fish - in fact I may not be able to remember if we actually did the shopping at all once the sale is complete and the list thrown away. I bought the products without actually consulting the list. It was the MAKING of the list that cemented the short term memory.

Toto'sDad likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.