The way people remember something, and how it actually happened.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Toto'sDad, Sep 25, 2019.

1. geoff_in_nc

geoff_in_nc Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

That right there explains a lot about human beings I think.

2. chet again

chet again Friend of Leo's

There's only one "i" in something...

Toto'sDad likes this.
  3. jhundt

jhundt Doctor of Teleocity

it's "right intentions, false memory" when they are all talking about some party 30 years ago.

It's not so simple when they are testifying against you in a court of law, and you freedom is at stake. Then they are either telling the truth, or they are telling a lie. And the truth seems to be a very flexible thing judging from this thread.

4. Mosstone

Mosstone Tele-Meister

It's been clinically well established that our recall is faulty. We only really remember bits and pieces, and fill in the rest with imagination... Or as has been already mentioned; we recall our most recent recollection.

Unfortunately, you can't use that to win an argument. :)

5. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Agree 100%. It's well known that eyewitness testimony is much less reliable than good scientific evidence, but guess which one juries put more confidence in?

nojazzhere likes this.
  6. memorex

memorex Friend of Leo's

I clearly remember Dolly having braces.

7. trapdoor2

trapdoor2 Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

Reality is how you perceive it.

There have been many studies on perception, memory, etc. I saw a show a few years ago where they staged a blatant, obvious (though faux) theft in a park and then interviewed all the witnesses. None of them had the details right...and some maintained their version even after shown the video.

Your brain has to decide what aspects of your "live" world to keep in memory and what to discard. It can't keep it all. When you recall, your brain finds what meant the most to you at the time and then will build a memory based on very limited data.

I have "fisherman's memory" everything seems a lot bigger in my memory. I recently met an old high-school crush. In my memory, she was just a few inches shorter than me. Even considering that she has shrunk somewhat with age, she's actually nearly a foot shorter than me.

Swapping stories with old friends can be a real puzzler. Same experience, two different memories. Just a few weeks ago, my best old friend was telling Miz Diane an anecdote about my father. I was in the story...but I have no memory of it.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2019
  8. P Thought

P Thought Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I see that your brother in law shot your old man, but what I don't understand is why.

9. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Telefied Ad Free Member

I was just thinking about this subject this weekend when I saw an ex for the first time in 25 years.

I’m completely calling out myself for having a terrible memory .

So bad it makes me wonder whether my mind is slipping at 55.

I remember her as a shapely little thing that could turn a man’s head with a cute little bob haircut .

Well I was right that she could still turn a man’s head but it used to be toward her - not away.

Sea hag ! :eek:

drlucky, Toto'sDad and kingofdogs1950 like this.
  10. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

what if you woke up one morning and saw a news paper article about you, and although it was acurrate and factual but, not one bit of it was true

this or something like this was a tag line for a movie in the late 70's or early 80's

11. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Telefied Ad Free Member

^^^^Sounds like a travolta movie

Toto'sDad likes this.
  12. Endless Mike

Endless Mike Friend of Leo's

Sadly, that appears to be the case. Author Robert Anton Wilson predicted a time in the not too distant future (this was the 70s and 80s) when it would become impossible to tell what was true anymore, that reality, whatever it is, would be up for grabs, so to speak. He thought it would be beneficial to humans, but that doesn't appear to be how it is turning out.

drlucky likes this.
  13. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I'm willing to await the final result.

14. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Poster Extraordinaire

This another UFO thread?

Toto'sDad likes this.
  15. Guitharley

Guitharley Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

we did yearly motorcycle vacations with great friends( another couple) for years, and at a party one night with lots of friends , I was recounting a tale which had occurred during one of these trips.....my travelling buddy says..sometimes I wonder if we were on the same trip...my gal steps up and says "well....he's not lying, just maybe embellishing a little"

Toto'sDad likes this.
  16. IrishTeleDan

IrishTeleDan TDPRI Member

Last edited: Sep 25, 2019
    Toto'sDad likes this.
  17. IrishTeleDan

IrishTeleDan TDPRI Member

Absolutely. Nothing more faulty than people's recollections. Especially if it's of something stressful or frightening that happened suddenly.

18. memorex

memorex Friend of Leo's

I haven't seen my first ex-wife in almost 40 years. I don't even want to be reminded about it.

drlucky likes this.
  19. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Me too, and was quite surprised neither fellow sued.

drlucky likes this.
  20. codamedia

codamedia Poster Extraordinaire

It's here... regardless of what side of the "fake news" phenomenon you sit. (and I will not go there)
    This is targeted confusion, it is very malicious, and it's worldwide. Propaganda and conspiracy theories spread quickly these days and come from all directions.

This thread seems to be more about the "non malicious" state of what happens, what a great topic!

The mind is not a digital trap... it's an old 8-track cartridge that has sat in the sun too long and the songs start bleeding together. At least for me it's like that. Right stories/wrong people, right people and place / wrong story, etc... etc...

2 People can see the same thing, yet both see it differently. Fast forward 20 years and both will tell the stories that hardly resemble the original.
    • The difference in the original occurrence is based on the vantage point.
    • The memory simply devolves over time... stories fade or get embellished then become the "new truth".

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.