The Warmoth decal - do you use it?

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by wabashslim, Sep 13, 2019.

1. wabashslim

wabashslim Tele-Holic

My Teles wear it proudly! If someone asks, "Who's Warmoth?" I get to brag a little.

Guys who put Fender decals on non-Fender items have some pretty horrendous insecurity issues....the same guys who stuff socks & zucchinis in their pants...but when it's truth-reveal time - they got nothing!

There, deal with it, frauds & cheaters, as you prepare to list your Chibson on Craigslist for $1500. Not that anybody on TDPRI would consider that...

upload_2019-9-13_8-22-24.png

howardlo, Jim622 and radiocaster like this.
  2. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

Am I the only one who thinks the turtle is lame-o?

[​IMG]

Luthi3rz, Steve Holt, RLee77 and 7 others like this.
  3. jannodude

jannodude Tele-Afflicted

It’s something I would likely see on a juice box..:lol:

4. fenderchamp

fenderchamp Tele-Afflicted

I love the turtle! I usually put the turtle on the back of my headstock when I use a warmoth neck.

Deeve and radiocaster like this.
  5. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

I like the period correct fender logo so I put them on my allparts necks, not to stuff my pants or to impress anyone but myself. I just like the look of a vintage tele/ strat without paying the inflated price for one. As much as I don't care if people do like it I don't care if they don't either.

I think most people don't care what logo you use as its a personal choice.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2019
    graybeard65, baiff, RLee77 and 4 others like this.
  6. Snfoilhat

Snfoilhat Tele-Afflicted

rosewood_neck_MB.png
    At first it was hidden on the heel, but now you know mine is a Warmoth neck by all the improperly drilled string tree holes in the headstock face put there by an amateur unqualified to to guitar work :eek:
    No decal necessary!

7. etype

etype Tele-Afflicted

I go decal-less. When people ask, I say no one put together exactly what I wanted so I had to do it myself.

Telecentric and Chunkocaster like this.
  8. Chunkocaster

Still a nice looking neck.

9. wabashslim

wabashslim Tele-Holic

Yes - I keep the turtle buried in his cavity so people won't think I get my guitars from Playskool.

RLee77, lammie200, Ducerro and 2 others like this.
  10. wabashslim

wabashslim Tele-Holic

I think most manufacturers would strongly disagree...

howardlo likes this.
  11. Chunkocaster

I'm sure they would. I don't own shares and they themselves have been faking their own vintage instruments for decades.
    They still make money from my purchases and I don't sell the guitars I put together. I put them together for me to play and enjoy and suit my personal taste.
    Warmoth are almost cloning fender necks and I don't think they pay a licence fee or do they?
    If not then shouldn't they have a different shaped headstock to keep the original manufacturer happy?

nojazzhere likes this.
  12. Mike Simpson

Mike Simpson Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I always use a decal with my own name. I usually make my own necks but I have used a couple of Allparts TMO-fat on past builds.

howardlo and bender66 like this.
  13. RottenTheCat

RottenTheCat Tele-Meister

No.

14. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

Is your partscaster totally from Warmoth parts? Or just the necks? Three years ago, when I got my first Warmoth neck, it went on a Fender body, with (at that time) Fender bridge, pickups, control plate, etc. Should I put on a "Fender/Warmoth" decal? Since the neck was a Fender licensed one, on an otherwise Fender guitar, I used a Fender Telecaster decal. I currently have another Warmoth neck on order, for a GuitarFetish body, Wilkinson bridge and tuners, generic pickguard, and Boot Strap pickups. This one, I'm debating (with myself) about either no decal, or a custom one of my own design. So, I'd say I'm somewhat conflicted over the whole thing.

Chunkocaster likes this.
  15. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

Yes, Chunk, Warmoth does pay a fee to Fender to license the headstock shape. And to just play devil's advocate.....you don't sell the guitars you put together....but they may be sold when you're gone. I'd wonder about my responsibility in that case. (?)

16. W.L.Weller

W.L.Weller Tele-Holic

You won't have any, because you'll be dead.

Kebmel and RLee77 like this.
  17. wabashslim

wabashslim Tele-Holic

They do, as do Allparts, Mighty Mite, and I'm sure others who sell theirs as authorized "Fender replacement necks". Best Guitar Parts uses a modified headstock. I don't know, or care, about all the legal minutiae involved.

I admit that one of my Warmoth necks is attached to a non-Warmoth, cheap Chinese body. Some might accuse me of blatant, televangelist-style hypocrisy but I say, because Warmoth includes the decal with each neck (with or without body), I'm legitimately indicating the neck as a Warmoth. I could also design my own decal from my name and that would be sort-of OK too, but much more OK if I actually made those parts myself instead of assembling somebody else's pieces together.

nojazzhere and Chunkocaster like this.
  18. Chunkocaster

Thanks about clarifying the licence, not that it bothers me. It does seem odd to be fanatical about a companies logo yet ignore the cloning of their product though.
    True about if they were sold when I pass, there is a big old Allparts stamp on the heel of them all though and they are all finished in tru oil. The flame roasted maple one is far too nice looking to be a fender neck.:)
    I wont compromise on my guitars to please someone else. I make them play and look just how I like them and encourage others to do the same. My opinion on it is just don't go trying to pass them off as something they aren't if someone asks or if they are ever up for sale.

Norrin Radd likes this.
  19. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

I have used the classier one that they sell for $3 because I think a headstock looks "right" with something written there. My only current Warmoth has no decal though. The one from the box looks kinda ugly to me (sorry), and the turtle is silly.
    If you choose to use a Fender or other logo on your guitar - go crazy man. I could not care less about anything.

Chunkocaster likes this.
  20. RottenTheCat

RottenTheCat Tele-Meister

I find your comments patently offensive.

You seem to have given little regard to aesthetics, nor homage. Given your "logic" taken to a realist level, even the shape of the headstock and body should be a nixed. After all who can see the decal from past the first few rows?
    Furthermore, homage, by shape of the wooden parts, hardware, pickups... AND decal, is both complimentary and visually pleasing. Many a Ford roadster kit have zero Ford parts beyond the nameplate/logo. Many a build bike say Harley-Davidson for yge same reason.
    I am not insecure, and will not be called the same without rebuttal. I like my creations, paying deep homage to Leo and crew, and there is zip zap nada wrong with it just because someone says so.

Kebmel, Buzzgrowl, RLee77 and 2 others like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.