1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

The Vyper & Mustang Experience

Discussion in 'Modeling Amps, Plugins and Apps' started by karnac, Nov 29, 2013.

1. captainc

captainc Tele-Meister

I agree with Jim Dep's post above. I have a Mustang II. My Hot Rod DeVille was stolen a while back and now that I don’t do the band thing any longer, didn’t have the need or budget to replace it with something comparable. I do miss the lack of the LCD screen that exists on the MIII so sometimes wish I’d have sprung for the MIII, but the way I’ve gotten around that is to program the Mod and Delay/Rerverb Knobs with the FX I use so I can add on the fly and have the presets for the most part loaded with the clean amps with a few that have stomps added. Works swimmingly for me and I’m not much of a tweaker when it comes to FX so just have a some chorus, flange, phaser, and Vibratone variations on the MOD knob and different delay/reverb types and speeds on the DLY/RVB knob. There are plenty of slots on the FX knobs to hold what I need so this greatly reduces the need for the laptop which is great for me. As mentioned above, I really fell in love with this amp more and more as I really learned to use it. My last modeler was a GT6 and I gravitated to the Fender models and IMHO Fender really nailed it with this. The 65 Princeton and Deluxe Reverb models alone make it worth the money. And it takes my external stomps really well.

2. popthree

popthree Poster Extraordinaire

i would seriously consider getting the mustang 3.

having to hook into fuse every time you want to edit something will be a hassle.

the 3 has a really good, intuitive, and completely useable interface right on the amp. plus, you get an effects loop, and a 100 watt amp that sounds as good at bedroom level as it does cranked.

i have owned a roland cube 60, and still own a micro cube..technically.

i gave the 60 away and loaned out the micro. not saying they are bad amps but i had stuff that i liked better.. analog amps.

i never thought i'd find myself playing through a modeling amp but i got a m3 on trade and i love it. it is really awesome.

3. Jim Dep

Jim Dep Friend of Leo's

Those Sanpera pedals are really impressive. I have even more appreciation of them now that I got a a chance to get a little more familiar with one. The way they are set up would be a dream for a gigging player to use on stage. There's a lot of common sense just in the design of the pedal from the perspective of giving you so much control at your feet.

The Mustangs also have an expression pedal available that hooks up with the normal 2 or 4 button foot pedals. You can program the expression pedal to do the wahs', volume, Univibe type of sweeps, etc. and they're fairly inexpensive for the extra capabilities they give. Like the Sanpera, having this setup would be a blast to use on stage.

I don't really "need" an expression pedal for the Mustang, being I've already got a wah and volume pedal set up at home, but if I was playing out, having to set up and tear down often, either the Sanpera for the Peavey or this....whatever it's called.....expression pedal for the Mustang, along with the 4 button footswitch would eliminate the need for bringing a pedal board.

4. Veggie burger

Veggie burger TDPRI Member

Totally agree. Had a Mustang I when they first came out, very boxy sound, perhaps one with a larger speaker would sound better. Have a new VIP II, the 40 watt model, sounds very good, easier to dial in a sound I like in comparison to the Mustang. But my go to amp is still my Vox AD30VT. If you can find one used I would get it.

5. PumpJockey

PumpJockey Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

If you want a modeling amp for actual gigging I agree with the Veg. The Vox VT line has actually devolved over time (hmm… interesting concept for a band…). The current VT+ line can sound fine but the build quality is pfft. I have a friend who earns his living playing and he uses an AD60 most of the time.

My VT20+ sounds great since I replaced the Vietnamese speaker with a 1960s CTS, but I still wouldn't trust it if it had to spend time in the trunk of my car. They have stacked on more features and models but it is now particle board and plastic.

I also agree that the interface on these things can make or break them. I spend most of the time on my VT in manual mode tweaking it as I would a regular amp. If that's not an option on a modeler I say try something else.

6. Il Duce

Il Duce Tele-Holic

OK, so I got the Mustang 1 and was totally disappointed with it. Luckily the guy I bought it from is a forum member and offered to let me return it to him, which is something I didn't expect, but really appreciate! It just seemed like no matter how much I messed with it, I couldn't get a tone that I liked out of it. Maybe I'm expecting too much from a practice/bedroom amp? My next stop is gonna be a VHT Special 6 or Special 6 Ultra. It's gonna take a while to save up for either of these. Hopefully whichever one of those I get will make the grade.

7. Jim Dep

Jim Dep Friend of Leo's

That's a definite YES, not saying anything negative against the Mustang I, I've never tried one. You're not going to pay $100 more for a Mustang II with the 12 inch speaker and not have an improvement is tone.

Mustang I's are around $100 have economy 8" speakers like other amps in that price range.

The discontinued Vox ADVT's are nice amps. I had the smallest one and it sounded really good on the VOX amp models. I don't know as fact, but I've heard repeatedly that the ADVT series sound better than the VT+'s they make now.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2013
  8. PumpJockey

PumpJockey Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

You are correct (see my post above). Vox succumbed to the feature wars with the other modelers and, to maintain their price point, skimped on everything else.

9. Jim Dep

Jim Dep Friend of Leo's

Hah ! You're right... I somehow didn't read those details you provided and it was right above my post.

We just validated each others point. :)

10. musicalmartin

musicalmartin Poster Extraordinaire

I have a Mustang I which could produce some great sounds if you tweaked it and learned fuse well .I put a speaker line out and ran through the jam studios big 4x10's .It sounded great BUT I mistakenly ran it through some 4 ohms instead of 8 for long time and it blew something on some of the circuits as it sounded crappy after that .I got a Yamaha THR10C and run it from phono on the Yamaha through the aux input on the Mustang .This bypasses all the guitar input side and produces some great sounds and not just me saying that .It really kicks out a very good valve sound .This would work on larger mustang amps .

11. Jim Dep

Jim Dep Friend of Leo's

Whoa, cool ! That's nice to hear. I'm sorry about the Mustang, but at least it was the cheapest one. I'm glad something positive came out of your misfortune and that somebody else too might be able to benefit by hooking them together. I wouldn't mind giving that a try myself.....no, not the running at 4 ohms part.....:eek:

12. Allan66

Allan66 TDPRI Member

Go for the Mustang 111 v2, I got one last week and gigged with it last weekend, the lads in the band were impressed with the sound and so was I, the Fender and Vox Mods are very good.

13. musicalmartin

All is safe .i could only run an extension speaker from the Mustang as i had installed one myself via switchable phono socket ..Stock it cant be done .It did sound friggin awesome though ,at least when the right speakers were hooked up LOL
    have fun

14. Teleagain

Teleagain Tele-Meister

I tried the Vyper, the little Vox and bought a Roland Microcube. Had a Mustang 1 for a while but didn't care for it and sold it. You have the play through the amps and see what sounds good to your ears. You'll get a wide variety of opinions on any of these "thinks or that" type threads.

15. Jim Dep

Jim Dep Friend of Leo's

Which is why people come to this forum. There was a time that all you could do was go out to music stores and try out whatever amps they had in stock, very possibly not knowing ahead of time the essentials of that particular amp.

Now, we have the luxury of coming here and collecting information, much given out by people with lots of experience. Gather it all in and sort it out. If you have all day, use the search key and type in "this or that" and go through the posts. :)

Now we can narrow the field over the internet, go into a music store armed with a whole lot more information about your final choices before you try them out. Otherwise, you might miss some of the finer features an amp has to offer. We've got a great resource here.

16. JohnSS

JohnSS Tele-Meister

I prefer the versatility of the Vypyr. Clean sounds are very Fender/Vox style and blend with HB, P-90 and Fender single coils. Distortion sounds can run gamut from blues to metal. Mustang has great Fender clean sounds; I thought the higher gain tones were somewhat grainy and artificial sounding to my ears.

17. wstarkel

wstarkel Tele-Meister

Just read through this thread and wanted to tip my hat to all those involved. I'm thinking of getting a modeling amp for my next purchase, and I've been mulling over all these options. Glad to see a good thread for so many amps in one spot.

Carry on!

18. oldteleguy

oldteleguy Tele-Afflicted

every player "hears" differently. I've played/owned a Mustang and a Vyper- I'didn't
    care for either of them. Too darned complicated for an old guy like me!. On the other hand, I love the Cubes. They are easy to operate, well- built, and sound super. It ain't a
    tube amp, but it's pretty darned good- sounding!!

19. musicalmartin

I am replying to my own post :twisted: .It sounded great until I cooked some out put trannies in some circuits .I ran a studios 4 ohm 4x something and goodbye ...fried the circuits .It still works on some settings and still sounds great when I run my THR into its aux socket.
    if I got another Mustang I/II/III I would still put in a switchable extension speaker socket in but certainly watch the ohms's.:lol:

20. Drubbing

Drubbing Friend of Leo's

My first amp was a Cube, returned it. Bought a Pathfinder. Later, wanted low vol gain and some FX to try. Bought Mustang. Year later selling it, too much stuff, could only see where I was dialling it through Fuse, which was a pain, and just found it was taking too much of my time. I didn't play it, I played with it.

Still got the Pathfinder.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.