1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

The Vyper & Mustang Experience

Discussion in 'Modeling Amps, Plugins and Apps' started by karnac, Nov 29, 2013.

1. karnac

karnac Tele-Meister

Has anyone tried these both in the store, compared one with your friend's amp, or bought one then heard the other and returned the first?
    I haven't had the opportunity to do any of these yet on my search for a modeling amp.
    Maybe you have and can add your 2 cents worth?

2. Il Duce

Il Duce Tele-Holic

I've tried the Peavey Vyper and didn't care for it to much. As for the Mustang, I've never tried one, but I've heard such good stuff about them that I'll be getting one in the next week or so sight unseen! Sooooooo, I'd definitely say, go with the Mustang, so many people can't be wrong!

3. karnac

karnac Tele-Meister

That's the gut feeling I have but the fuse software is a heavy factor for some. What Mustang did you get?

4. Il Duce

Il Duce Tele-Holic

I'll be getting a Mustang II. And to be quite honest, despite being kinda hooked on tubes, I'm pretty excited! Hahaha

5. karnac

karnac Tele-Meister

Now the difference between the I and II is just the speaker size. Correct?

6. Randypttt

Randypttt Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Yes, size. But if you're thinking about the II you should just get the III cuz the Celestion 12" makes a big difference.

Full disclosure. I have tried a Vyper just to say I did but I don't like Peavy stuff much. I did buy a M III but I had trouble getting a sound I liked. The tweaking is endless and I'm too old to wanna spend my time doing that.

I eventually traded it for a SC X2 head. Great amp. Voices as good as the Mustang but without tweaking the programs and the sub programs and the sub sub programs. It gives you access to the Fuse software also.

But I did like the speaker in the III. It's very much like the G80 12 in my cab I use with the X2.

7. karnac

karnac Tele-Meister

You have the SCX2 head, how does the software work with it compared to the Mustang? The SCX2 (combo) sounds awesome I thought. I think between this and the MIII, I would get the SCX2.

8. karnac

karnac Tele-Meister

Also I always think Peavey as a heavy metal amp. All the local heavy metal band wanna be's had peavy equipment, it was cheap stuff in the late 80's I guess. The good rock band that is still around use Marshall heads.

9. bob1234

bob1234 Tele-Afflicted

we're just gonna have to agree to disagree haha

[​IMG]

For the OP:

The fender had better models of everything when I played em (vypry 75 vs the Mustang V head). The vypyr had better amp models, but that may have been because of the tube preamp as well. For the money, I'd rather get the mustang V. The lower end mustangs arent worth your time or money imo.

Vypyr is also much more expensive then the Mustang, and less reliable from what I've seen in store demos. (They have mustangs and vypyrs next to each other, and in the past 6 months they have gone through TWO of the vypyrs)

10. Abu Twangy

Abu Twangy Friend of Leo's

I don't play metal and I use Peavey Vypyrs and a Vypyr VIP as practice and primary gigging amps. There are a lot of decent non-high gain models in the older Vypyrs. and the newer VIPs have three different levels of gain for all models. The majority of the factory Vypyr and VIP presets are horrible. But the Vypyrs and VIPs are easy to create your own patches without dragging along a laptop computer.

The Mustang's strengths are the great computer interface program (FUSE) and the many tweakable Fender amp models.

I've played through both. The Mustang II I tried had high quality models and sounded very good--better than the Vox and Line6 stuff I had tried in the past. And the quality of the Fender models was very good. Effects were good quality.

Peavey's Vypyrs have 2 Fender based models--a blackface and a tweed Deluxe, both which are good. The current VIP has a BF Twin-type model. Both the Peavey Vypyr and VIP and Fender Mustang amps have good Vox AC 30 models.

I went Peavey because I like the utility of the optional Sanpera pedal. I like having a volume and controlable wah. The Sanpera that I got for my Vypyr 30 also works with my VIP1. Plus the VIPs have bass amp and acoustic amp models.

If you want a wide variety of highly tweakble Fender models and like tweaking with a laptop or through a screen like the bigger Mustangs --go Fender Mustang. If you want models that can easily be tweaked on the fly and the ability to control volume and wah with an optional pedal and want something that can work well for bass and acoustic as well, go Peavey VIP.

11. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

What's your beef with the other Mustangs? The speakers/cab? Are you saying you'd just go for the head? Have you tried the floor model?

12. karnac

karnac Tele-Meister

I seen the Mustang V for a good price at Guitar Center, I almost grabbed one. Too big for what I need now, I am still learning to play guitar at my age, my wife would shoot me. I think I don't consider that Vyper VIP is it's price and the extra things I wouldn't use. It does seem less reliable than the Mustang though but the VIP may have improved. I never considered the pedal view since I don't gig or practice with others (not yet).
    I am more looking at self practice/skill building than anything. I am kinda of a tech junkie and I am afraid if I bought a mustang/Vyper, I would never improve my guitar playing for the first few months. I would be trying to reprogram and hack the thing for fun. But people have recommended the G-Dec for the beginner, you foolish people lol. Probably down the road, I must get one.

13. bob1234

bob1234 Tele-Afflicted

Well my thing, the mustang is SS, that means at any volume it will sound the same, meaning Id rather have the extra models and voices. With the Mustang V head, you can use a GOOD cab instead of some crappy combo you're stuck with. I tried the cheaper combos and wasn't impressed. They looked, felt, and sounded "cheap" (to be fair, they were), but the IV's and V's sounded and felt better.

YMMV, but the cost of admission is too cheap to not get the "extra goodies" with the IV's and V's. I have NOT tried the floor unit one, but I wouldn't go that route, may as well just get a pod hd500x if youre gonna do that

14. whiteop

whiteop Tele-Afflicted

I have tried both. If you like the tube amp tone and ready have a good pedalboard I'd go with the SCXD2. If you don't have any pedals or just a few the Mustang III would probably be the way to go. I'm a tube amp type of guy myself.

15. SamClemons

SamClemons Poster Extraordinaire

If I had a choice between a Vyper and a Mustang.....I would buy a Vox or a Roland cube.

16. karnac

karnac Tele-Meister

I knew someone was going to add that. Lol
    I like Vox, it's a hybrid though and a different price range. But anyway the Vox and Roland models that are comparable aren't currently in stock or cared in my area. Though the micro cube was, but that's a different category of amp.
    The Vox doesn't have USB/software ability I believe and the new CUBE series just have the new iOS app link.
    So why do you say Vox or Roland over either of the Fender or Peavey?

17. Randypttt

Randypttt Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Sorry I can't answer that. I'm still enjoying the presets the way they are. Lots of nuance just making tone or gain adjustments.

I've heard from other owners that it works the same as with the M III. Whatever that means.

You might look at the X2 owners club on this site or any reviews done by someone other than me.

18. gitlvr

gitlvr Friend of Leo's

I've played the Vyper. A friend of mine bought one, then couldn't figure out how to use it, so he asked me for help. He bought it used with no manual. I found it fairly easy to navigate, and IMHO the sound is great. Really good amp models. As to reliability, he's had it for two years at least, with no problems. If someone were looking for a modelling amp I'd have zero issues recommending the Vyper.
    I've never played the Mustang, but the reviews are stellar, at least for the III and up. I've read mixed reviews for the Mustang II, and some very horrible ones for the Mustang I. But that was a while back.
    I think I'd like the Mustang's layout better than the Vyper, and if you're trying to emulate Fender they are the way to go, I think. I'd love to hear the Mustang's clean Fender models in person, as I thought that was the one area that the Vyper fell slightly(very slightly) short. Nothing wrong with the cleans, just not as convincing as the dirt models.

19. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

I would as well but for the most part Fender and Peavey get the love because of how well known those names are and how much more they promote their amps whereas Roland doesn't and a Vox is usually an acquired taste not everyone likes.

I've played a Mustang III quite often but I own two Roland Cubes and I'll take the Rolands any day as far as tonality, ease of operation and quality of construction goes. I've never played a Vypr but a good friend who has a Cube ordered one and sent it back. He felt the Cube was better sounding and much easier to operate. I'd agree.

The names Fender and Peavey sell a lot of amps but sometimes it pays to look beyond just the name. Potential buyers need to get out and play the amps they're interested in and let their ears and the experience be their guide. None of these amps is pure junk but some models are far better than others.

20. Jim Dep

Jim Dep Friend of Leo's

Any of the Roland Cubes I tried out over the last decade sound sterile compared with the Mustang III's IV's, and V's IMHO. I have not personally played a I or II Mustangs or the floormodel but I wouldn't shy away from one for home practice.

Owning a Mustang III and being familiar with it is a lot different than just plugging into one at a band rehearsal as you mentioned in a previous thread. It's like trying to navigate a cell phone that belongs to somebody else. The person who set it up is going to
    know how it's configured. Familiarity makes a big difference when getting the most out of it.

Someone who owns an amp like a Mustang is going to know how to utilize it.
    It would make sense to me to bring my own portable amp to a band rehearsal, rather than spend the time to set up a true modeling amp with today's technology to your liking, especially when somebody else owns it.

If you can't have your own amp at a band rehearsal or recording studio, then something basic like a generic Roland Cube would be the simple way to go. What would motivate you, Soulman, to attempt to program a Mustang III that isn't yours rather than take your own Cube? I've never understood this. You choose to use a Mustang III you don't like for your rehearsals and then bash them on this forum...

Regarding Mustangs and Vypyrs being so popular just because of the Fender and Peavey names?
    I'm pretty sure people are familiar with Roland too....best known for electronic digital keyboards and been around for years. Roland overall HAS a good reputation.
    Fine pro models of keyboards. I have one.

Mustangs speak for themselves AND live up to the hype. They win the amp showdowns vs Roland Cubes for a reason, not because of advertising. They win every category, including sound quality. That's why the big stores sell so many is because of the positive reviews.....remember Justin Sandercoe's demo? Over 1200 responses and a 98% approval rating for the Mustangs.

If they were soooooo difficult to use as you claim, do you really think they get a 98% approval rating and continue to outsell all their competitors by a sizable margin since they hit the market in 2010? I don't think so. :)

Fender's and Peavey's are both excellent modeling amps. Roland Cubes are good amps too IMHO, just not the organic sound that I like, which is SUBJECTIVE opinion. Ten years ago, the Cubes were state of the art. Times have changed and the technology for digital amps has gotten a lot better. ( Johnson amps were way ahead of their time, IMO)

What is FACT, however is that the Cubes fall far short on features and lack of USB connectivity in today's market. Why is that a big deal? Even though the editing capabilities are tremendous on the Mustangs and Peaveys without even a computer, the computer editing potentials raises the ceiling high for what you can create.

My nod went with Fender over Peavey, but I'd be happy with either one.

For combo modeling amps I'm familiar with, my choices in order are Mustang, Yypyr, Vox AD VT's , Cubes.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2013
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.