The vehicle that no one ever mentions.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by boris bubbanov, Feb 18, 2020.

1. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

I spent a lot of my childhood and youth broken down by the side of the road because my Dad always bought beater cars.
    And because for awhile there we were into MGs and Austin-Healeys in questionable condition.

I remember he bought a '72 Cutlass for me, rusted through the floor, for something like $150. It had a Holley 4-barrel
    carburetor in it and could move great in the straights, notwithstanding re-tread tires, rust everywhere, and blue smoke
    coming out of the tailpipe. I ran that thing for at least a year until the engine blew and I had the junk yard come pick
    it up for something like $50. When I gunned it you could actually watch the gas gauge needle move towards E.

2. Steerforth

Steerforth Friend of Leo's

I always longed to drive my Dad’s L88 Corvette to school, just once.

No radio, no heater, total beast. Rode like a buckboard wagon. But fast!

However, I was forbidden to look at it, or even think about looking at it. So alas, it wasn’t meant to be.

3. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

Might have saved your life, Steerforth. In my senior year a few guys crashed a Corvette so hard into a tree that
    about all that was recognizable was the engine block. The fibreglass body basically disappeared.

Steerforth likes this.
  4. David Barnett

David Barnett Doctor of Teleocity

And that's not even counting for inflation since it was written in the early 1990s...

5. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

A few of us without our own cars in high school realized our moms' big Ford and GM big block engines could hold up against some crappy old cars other kids had. We clearly didn't get any chick magnet points but I remember family car vs old car at a section of straight road called "the 1/4 mile".

Doing that would drain the gas tank fast.

That's another then vs now where I'll have to give my kids some education.

6. imwjl

Yes, in the town I grew up in a just out of high school guy managed to get an older Corvette and with a child of one of my mom's bridge club friends made a photo in the local paper where tree trunk, wheels and engine block were all you could recognize. The words or rumors were they were basically splattered.

7. Steerforth

Steerforth Friend of Leo's

I think that’s probably the sort of thing that Dad had in mind when he issued the prohibition. Behaving myself has never been my strong suit.

8. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Doctor of Teleocity

That might be a suitable replacement for my '01 BMW 525i Touring Wagon. Apparently I like cars nobody else does, BMW stopped importing 5 series wagons to the States in 2010. Everybody wants SUVs and crossovers. My buddy the tow truck guy likes those too, every time the roads get icy he pulls um out of the ditch.
    I'm going to keep the Beamer untill the rust breaks it in half, maybe another winter or two. By that time these Buicks should be really cheap used and their track record know. We'll see.
    Hopefully they're better than the Buick Enclave. My sister in law had to have one, it's out of warranty now and goes into the shop for 1,500 dollar repairs fairly often. Bad rack and pinion, $1,500, bad rear end $1,500 and I forget what else spewed out of my brothers mouth when I asked about it. Mostly expletives and $1,500 shop visits.
    And people think BMWs are costly!

imwjl likes this.
  9. imwjl

My mother's Enclave was a disappointment. My two acquaintances with this German made Buick have not had them long. They like the cars so far and especially the deals they got.

BobbyZ likes this.
  10. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Doctor of Teleocity

That's good to hear! I'm thinking in a couple of years the things will be worth little or nothing.
    And that's exactly what I like to spend on cars. :)

11. imwjl

There are a few of these left, and the VW incentives are tempting. Our 2013 Outback and 2016 Sienna SE have had superb reliability so it is hard to ignore that but the data for this low volume VW looks really good.

It appears when these are gone, the Outback will be the only modestly priced wagon left in the US.

12. jumpnblues

jumpnblues Friend of Leo's

My parents wouldn't let me have a car in HS. And if I wanted a car after that I had to buy it myself. But my dad still insisted he have his input on any car I purchased since I was living at home at the time. He wanted me to buy something practical. So I did. It couldn't be anything like a "race car."

It was an "arrest me red" colored car with a beautiful white vinyl interior. It was a straight stick (4 speed), for improved fuel mileage. And it was not a full sized car. So far so good? It was an Oldsmobile...you know, your dad's car. Still OK? And it said F-85 on the sides. It was a 1964 and this was 1968 so it was only 4 years old and had low mileage. That's it. Oh yeah...I forgot to mention to my dad those strange numbers on the front fenders just in front of the wheel wells... They weren't that important anyhow. :rolleyes:

Last edited: May 24, 2020
  13. Glen W

Glen W Tele-Afflicted

4-4-2? :cool:

14. Glen W

Glen W Tele-Afflicted

The Alltrack is a gem. I counted around 30 new ones on the lot while taking a stroll during the 10K service for my GTI. A bunch were leftover '19s...still carrying the People's 6/72 warranty.

imwjl likes this.
  15. jumpnblues

jumpnblues Friend of Leo's

Yep.

16. Milspec

Milspec Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Amen to that. I grew up on VW as my Father was actually a German trained VW mechanic who service as the crew chief for their Scirocco racing team. I have owned every type of VW and hot rodded a '66 Beetle with a 160 hp motor that could destroy everything on 4 wheels, but experiences since the '80's have been pretty negative. For a company that includes Porshe and Audi, you would expect Volkswagen to be a very reliable brand, but it really isn't. They are just not consistent, some will run for 200,000 miles easily and some become lemons in less than 60k miles and expensive to repair. I always loved the looks and wanted the small diesel, but just too many lemons. If I want to buy junk I can by Chrysler for far cheaper.

17. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Tele-Holic

Suburu Brat?

18. String Tree

String Tree Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

It breathes artificial Air.

19. lammie200

lammie200 Friend of Leo's

I didn't know that the current situation affected cars as well as humans.

20. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I'm waiting for the day when Hyundai or Kia come up with something that hasn't been hashed out by someone else before. Toyota and Honda (and Subaru) are doing some things that nobody else has really done. I'm interested in the thinkers, and reinventors - not so much the duplicators. For example, why isn't someone like Musk coming out of S. Korea?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.