The Value of Your Guitar/s

Doctor of Teleocity
I have two guitars that I care about, my first classical guitar that was given to me by my father when I was in high school, and my 52RI that I used to play most of my gigs with. Probably couldn’t get more than a hundred bucks for both of them, but they mean something to me. Otherwise, I’ve never fell in love with a guitar, but I can appreciate good craftsmanship.

soundchaser59

Friend of Leo's
Ad Free Member
Some people say “I’d never spend that much on a guitar. I can’t tell a real difference between that and my parts caster.” Or Squier. Or MIM. Or whatever they happen to like.

To those people I say “then you have the right guitar.”

I would never spend the money I spend on guitars if I couldn’t tell the difference between my PRS and a run of the mill whatever. I wouldn’t do it. It would make zero sense. Guitars aren’t status symbols to me, they’re tools. I like good tools. Maybe some people really can’t tell the difference. Maybe it’s just sour grapes. I don’t know.

What I do know, is that I can tell the difference, and it’s not subtle. So I spend the money to get what I really like. I buy a lot fewer guitars than I used to. But they’re much higher quality and are all “keepers”.
One time I rehearsed for a gig for a month with one guitar, one amp, one pedal board. Then when the gig came, at the last minute while packing up gear I said to myself, "I think I'll play that other guitar for this gig." I figured they are interchangeable, if I play one well I can play any guitar well.

Huge mistake. It was just different enough that I made mistakes all night long. I might have been the only one who noticed most of them, but it was obvious enough to me that it rattled me. It was hard to keep my cool that night. It was the feel and the sound and the behavior, etc. all of it just wasn't the same.

That was when I learned to appreciate the subtle differences I find from one guitar to the next. The blow heads who listen say they all sound alike and they truly can't hear any difference, but as the player I know they are not all alike. There are trained musicians who can tell when I switch guitars. And it's not about which guitar costs the most, it's about which guitar I have bonded with the most, most recently.

JohnnyThul

Tele-Meister
As I built all my guitars now, there is actually no worth at all to them, because, I could not sell them due to the lack of a brand name on them.
If I'd just use material costs as a factor, I'd say, most expensive one has about 800€ of parts/ wood in it. But most are about 120€ in woods, + maybe 300€ for hardware/electronics, if I want to get fancy.
But I spent thousands on guitars before I built my own, just was never satisfied. I guess, taking everything into account I may have lost some money after I sold all of them, but that was still cheaper than paying each month for a gym or so, I guess :)

zippofan

Tele-Afflicted
My current favorite since I built it last summer is a no name Tele body from eBay, Mighty Mite neck assembly that plays way better than the sum of it's parts. Tuners from a MIM Tele, a Gotoh 3 saddle Ti bridge that I had gotten for another guitar and went a different way, and Bootstrap Extra Crispy pickups. It sounds great, plays nice, and I think I am in about $250. I can't put it down and I think it's making me play better, no mean feat since I'm really a drummer lol

Twelvefrets

Tele-Meister
One of the treasured ones: a Ron Kirn "standard," now with Wilde Keystone pickups. Very reasonably priced. Victoria Regal behind, not cheap, not light, but the two together, worth a LOT to me.
B0707078-56DE-4F88-BB5E-3CDF89803310.jpeg

P-Nutz

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
I am down to five electrics: A mid ‘90s Gibson LP Studio, two newer Fender Strats, a custom Tele built for me by a former student and a knockoff Firebird, as well as my dad’s ‘36 Kalamazoo KG-21 and another Washburn acoustic with a big nuffin’ hole in the bottom (still plays and sounds great!). Total dollars might be a coupla to-tree $K.

I play all of them always.

Value: Priceless!

Cyberi4n

Tele-Holic
Hmmm, good question.

I am now down to four guitars, and I wont sell any of them. A PRS US CU24 that I purchased S/H for £1450, and probably worth about that now. A partscaster that has £1200 sunk into it. A S/H Epiphone Les Paul with around £500 or so in parts invested in it, and a US Performer Telecaster, again with the stuff I've put in probably at around £1200.