The value of a 54 Fender Princeton....

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by cincyguitarplay, Dec 9, 2019.

1. cincyguitarplay

cincyguitarplay Tele-Meister

I am looking to trade my 54 Fender Princeton for a Gibson or Martin acoustic...on Reverb I saw one was asking 1499...another was $2000....so will the value of it go up?

Attached Files:

2. Rufus

Rufus Tele-Afflicted

It depends on 2 things...

1) the more original and unmodified it is (except caps and stuff that deteriorates) the more it is worth

and

2) How badly someone wants one

3. Whatizitman

Whatizitman Friend of Leo's

Hey, I saw that one, too. IMO, you can't really get a good value range on a sample of two.

My rule of thumb. It's on FB marketplace. Go to FBM and save it. If you absolutely want it, make an offer. If you're just curious, take note how long it stays on FBM. If it's sold in a day or so, the asking price is probably pretty close. If it doesn't sell in a week or so, it's overpriced.

That said, you don't know much a seller is actually trying to sell an item, until you have some contact. I for one don't have the time nor desire to set up meet times just to have someone "look" at gear I'm trying to sell. Nor do I expect it from a local seller.

I will not contact a seller unless I'm ready to make an offer of some kind. Period.

Lastly, it's a vintage amp. You are paying for vintage-ness. Not playability. IMO there is an implied assumption with very old gear that you get what you get, warts and all. If a seller seems like the negotiating and buddy type, have at it. If not, don't bother. Just make an offer, and show up with cash in hand.

4. corliss1

corliss1 Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

@Whatizitman - he already has the amp in question :D

I would expect a trade value to be around $1400ish on something like that, give or take for your area and condition.

I never base keeping a piece of gear based on what the future value may be.

5. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Asking prices are meaningless.
    Even completed sales can be a head-scratcher, but they're the best indicator.
    My guess is, the value of gear like that will continue to creep up, at least keeping pace with inflation.
    At least, I hope it does.

6. Whatizitman

HAHA no. I saw it and was curious. But I'm certainly not in the market for anything that expensive. Way past my self-imposed $500 limit.

I am on the lookout for larger SF amps sub $500, though... Preferably needing repair, and seller willing to trade. I've already reneged on my other self-imposed one-in-one-out rule. Gotta get back into balance, as it were.

7. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

1987 would be a good place to start.

Maroonandwhite likes this.
  8. Whatizitman

Price? Year? Plexi?

Had one. And of course loved it. But I'm looking for old SF Fenders these days. Heckuva lot cheaper, and sound better at low volumes.

Local guy had a '72 TR that worked fine, but was heavily modded. Was posted $350, and stayed there for a few months. That was going to be next project once I got the cash together, but it sold this week.

Another local early 70s TR has been sitting for months at $500. Just sayin'.

9. etype

etype Tele-Afflicted

You can get a price trend of sales prices on Reverb. For a 1954, looks like $1,300-$1,450 is the range depending on condition. So the $1,400 consensus looks to be a good one. But yeah, asking price on most from that era seems to be closer to $2,000. That differential does not surprise me.

10. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Cosmetic condition and originality make the value, imho. Your amp looks clean from that one picture. The originality is unknown to us, so I have no thoughts on what I think it is worth.
    Unless the deal is a trade for a used guitar, I would suggest selling the amp and using cash to buy a good used acoustic.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.