1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

the US hates soccer...

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by EasyEB, Jun 24, 2010.

1. kappa2583

kappa2583 Tele-Meister

How about Australian Rules Football? I have no idea what they are doing on the field but they sure knock the crap out of each other!

2. Beachbum

Beachbum Friend of Leo's

Absolutely

3. Jeff_K

Jeff_K Friend of Leo's

I got it. Good one. And true.

4. middy

middy Friend of Leo's

5. tap4154

tap4154 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

One good thing about soccer; it develops acting skills. Get a light bump on the elbow... grab your head, fall to the ground and roll around and moan like you're gonna die, and you'll get a penalty on the other side.

Also, the main reason it took off for kids in America is that "everyone plays". Unlike basketball, football and baseball, where the best players get the most time on the field. Part of the false self-esteem campaign in public schools.

I always hated it because it goes against human nature to keep your hands out of play.

BUT I enjoy watching any sport when it's a championship round, and "my team" is involved. I usually only watch the playoffs of any sport.

6. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

Gents,

There is a lot of dumb in this thread. First, it is a troll thread, look at the title.

You rise to the bait at your own peril, however, I've removed several posts that are in violation of our rules. If folks persist in posting those types of things... the punishment will swift and sure and this thread will be deleted.

for real.

7. BritishBluesBoy

BritishBluesBoy Former Member

We have a winner folks... Football (Soccer) goes against human nature!! Ha ha ha ha hah ahah a ha haha ha.... Tell that to the entire world outside of the US...

:rolleyes:

8. tap4154

tap4154 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I just did :D

Hey, I'm not anti-soccer.

Enjoy. To each their own.

9. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

[​IMG]

10. Daddydex

Daddydex Friend of Leo's

To put this in perspective, someone on CNN just pointed out the NFL draft (the definition of boring) actually had more viewers than this soccer game.

Dan

11. TheWasp

TheWasp Tele-Holic

I am a football fan but i also enjoy american football & baseball.I spent the last three weeks in canada and the usa and was overwhelmed by the apathy I saw towards the world cup.As for the presenters on espn their lack of knowledge was breathtaking,I think they are only covering the competition because they are obliged to by fifa.My opinion on the reason football will never take off in america is based on the baseball games I have attended.Its an attention span thing,I was at fenway last saturday sox v dodgers and it was just an eating and drinking fest and the game was secondary.Because the action in a football game is almost constant it doesnt fit in with the chomping.Americas biggest sports are full of breaks or time outs for refueling.oh and by the way someone mentioned intoxication at football games,i saw a drink fueled fight inside fenway and in scotland alcohol is not sold inside football grounds and hasnt been for many years...

12. Colo Springs E

Colo Springs E Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

LMAO! That would make an awesome avatar!

13. EasyEB

EasyEB Tele-Meister

ESPN is not obliged to cover anything. In fact they paid $125million for the right to broadcast so it's in there best interest to put forth a good presentation.

So is it their in studio teams who have a lack of knowledge? Guys like...

Ruud Gullit-FIFA World Player fo the year in 1987, key member of AC Milan team that won titles in 1988,1992 and 1992 as well as Champions League titles in 89 and 90. Help the dutch win the Euro Championship in 88.

Jurgen Klinsmann-1995 Footballer of the year, won World Cup with W. Germany in 1990, coached Germany to a 3rd place finish in 2006

Alexi Lalas Member of 94 and 98 US World Cup teams and 1st American to play in Serie A.

Shaun Bartlett-Represented the host nation South African in the 98 World Cup, scored Premeir League Goal of the Seaon in 01 while playing for Charlton Athletic.

Roberto Martinez-Current coach of Wigan Athletic in the EPL

Steve McManaman-Spent his career playing for the likes of Liverpool and Real Madrid and won two Champions League titles while with Real Madrid.

or maybe it's the in game broadcasters who have no knowledge? Guys like...

Ally McCoist-Being from Scotland I am sure you are aware of his many acheivements including being the all time leading goal scorer in the SPL

Martin Tyler You know the EPL brodcaster of the decade?

Efan Ekoku Works EPL matches for the BBC

Derek Rae Who calls more than 150 matches a year for ESPN International and is currently the lead announcer for the SPL on ESPN in the UK.

John Harkes Represented the US in the 90 and 94 World Cups as well as being the 1st American to play in the EPL and the only American to score in a League Cup final.

Ian Darke One of Sky Sports lead broadcasters for the EPL and will now always have a special place in US soccer fans hearts for his great call of Donovan's goal against Algeria.

Now I don't always agree with each of them. I find McManaman to be a bit of a tool but to say that they lack knowledge of the game is 100% wrong or as you put it, breathtakingly wrong.

14. telleutelleme

telleutelleme Telefied Silver Supporter

"On the whole, I would rather be in Philadelphia" - WC Fields.

Pretty much describes what I think of soccer. Like it or not, its in the U.S. to stay. The demographics are changing and so will the sports.

15. kelnet

kelnet Telefied Ad Free Member

It's also true that most Americans are not fans of the NFL or NASCAR or Stephen Colbert or Avatar or Johnny Cash or Elvis. There is nothing in the sports and entertainment world that is supported by more than 180 million Americans. A highly rated TV show gets maybe 15 million viewers. Avatar has earned $750 million in the U.S., which represents about 50 million people. NASCAR claims to have over 75 million fans around the world. This year's Super Bowl was watched by 106.5 million viewers. That is still not "most Americans."

So sure, most Americans don't like soccer. But you can't find a sport that MOST Americans do like.

By the way, don't use an apostrophe when the word is simply plural and not possessive. :)

Last edited: Jun 26, 2010
  16. allen st. john

allen st. john Friend of Leo's

Soccer = Legos

17. SteveO

SteveO Tele-Holic

I don't think it's hatred,more like apathy.Kinda like Curling.I love it every 4 years during the Olympics but otherwise,:neutral:

18. stantheman

stantheman Doctor of Teleocity

I heard that sections of Lawrence, Massachusetts went crazy, celebrating, street parties, horns honking, everything.
    Prediction: IF The United States of America goes THE DISTANCE.
    It'll be BIGGER than anything I've seen in my lifetime.
    And Lord knows We could all use a LIFT. :cool:

19. Blazer

Blazer Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Guys I think I know a way to sum this thread up in a nutshell.

The reason why Football isn't as big in the USA as it is in the rest of the world is purely down on how its broadcasted.

See, in South America and Europe we watch the games with camera panning over the field giving a birds eye view of what is going on, the reporter is going "It's (add whatever name) on the ball right now ready to pass it to (Add whatever name) and break the defense of the opposing team." Every so once in a while. The whole thing is visible, no distractions, no unwanted information, THAT'S the way people really get into the game.

On US sports TV however that's not the case.

I mean come on, constant interruptions to show the stats of players, showing very little of the game, the presentors constantly butting in, no wonder that Football isn't big in the USA seeing as how its broadcasted.

20. BritishBluesBoy

BritishBluesBoy Former Member

Blazer, mate, that was hysterical!!!

Ha ha ha ha ha hah a ha ha hah!!!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.