1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

the US hates soccer...

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by EasyEB, Jun 24, 2010.

1. EasyEB

EasyEB Tele-Meister

That is exactly right. Not to mention in the next two years, all but one team(DC) will be playing in a stadium where they alone control all the revenue. When the MLS started in 1996 they were 10 teams playing in NFL stadiums, paying ridiculous leases to play in those NFL stadiums and saw little to no game day revenue from concessions or parking. In 2012 there will 19 teams with 16 of them playing in soccer stadiums built for them. That is pretty darn impressive for a league that is only in it's 15th season.

2. Mojohand40

Mojohand40 Tele-Afflicted

PLUS 1!!!!!!!

I loved those!!!
    :lol:

3. jwayne

jwayne Tele-Holic

Soccer is lame for the most part. The only reason it's gaining popularity in the US is because our population is growing and our culture is becoming more diversified. Most Americans don't care about soccer but there are many people living in America that do like it.

Hopefully that was PC enough to not get in trouble! - LOL

4. jimbach

jimbach Tele-Holic

The problem is that a lot of people confuse "nothing happening" with "there hasn't been a score in the last 90 seconds." In soccer, there's almost always something happening - the play is non-stop. Compare that to baseball (a sport I like a lot), where the amount of action in a game probably totals up to be around five minutes, or American football, where you'll have a five-ten second play punctuating huddles, time outs, first down marker checks, substitutions... That's a sport where very little happens.

5. jimbach

jimbach Tele-Holic

Point of clarification: My beloved Columbus Crew* played its first three seasons in Ohio Stadium, home to the Ohio State Buckeyes.

*At home tonight against DC United.

6. middy

middy Friend of Leo's

It's also boring. To me, anyway.

7. EasyEB

EasyEB Tele-Meister

Yes and my Galaxy started off in the Rose Bowl. Still, neither team made money back in those days in large part because of where they played.

8. Breen

Breen Friend of Leo's

What a blah thread.

I know American's who appreciate soccer (term used to keep confusion low and maintain civility), and I know for a fact that most American's don't really care of soccer or appreciate it. Thats cool. I don't understand NASCAR or oval racing, but I love motoring of all sorts, just don't understand NASCAR as an event. It still takes cajones to bear a vehicle at speed nonstop with some crazy Texans a metre away from you.

U.S.A is already a 2nd tier world soccer-ing(footballing) nation (Denmark, South Korea, Cameron etc) and I DO feel they will toe the line with the first tier in the next 4-7 years.

Your millions of kids, the same population as my nation or New Zealand, will breed more generations in the future.

You Yanks watch yourself. When a kid, blessed or poor, becomes good and becomes a first choice in a top 5 team in say the EPL or Bundersliga, and is after that ballin' and rollin' the payouts of what obscene money footballers make in Europe, you see the rest of the middle class parents wanting their own kids to catch up. Then we see if the rest of the Yanks understand~

Keller, Howard, McBride, O'Brien, Donovan, Rossi? There will be more.

Btw, Much Adu about Nothing?

9. sjhusting

sjhusting Tele-Afflicted

The European Baseball Championship is about to start over here in Germany, and some of the games will be played near here. A couple of my neighbors want me to explain baseball to them. This is pretty difficult, since they haven't grown up with it. First they ask why the pitcher doesn't throw the ball so the batter can hit it. Once they figure that out, they ask why nothing is happening.

After 20 years over here, I've grown to like soccer. Not a raving lunatic, but I enjoy watching some games. My son is absolutely nuts about it, and plays well for a local club; watching his games is what got me sucked into it.

The US has gotten better at every world cup. At this rate, in 3 or 4 tournaments, they'll stand a chance.

steven

10. goldtopper

goldtopper Friend of Leo's

Yay for Capitalism,.... er uh, soccer,,,,, uh,, football!!

11. Breen

Breen Friend of Leo's

Straight from High School into the Pros.

- Some rapper in some hip hop song.

You see my rollin'...

12. brokenjoe

brokenjoe Friend of Leo's

I find watching men holding a little metal rod with a head on it trying to knock a ball into a tiny hole in the ground terribly boring. But that's just me. Golf is incredibly popular these days, but I find it extremely tedious.

I like football, soccer, hockey, basketball, -even a 'slow' sport like baseball- perhaps because I've played 'em all in either city leagues when I was a kid, or in highschool.

You American soccer haters better prepare yourselves for a lot more of it. You've got a large part of your younger generation being introduced to soccer as their first team sport. Eventually you're gonna field a World Cup team that goes all the way.

Then everyone can pretend that they've always been a big fan.

13. stevieboy

stevieboy Poster Extraordinaire

I've got English friends/work colleagues (in fact spent all last week with two of them), and I've been playing the UK/US game for a long time. All in fun!

And I tend to root for England when the US isn't playing--but don't tell my friends that!

14. Danno

Danno Tele-Holic

My niece is big into it. Still kind of a little kid/girl's thing here in the South in smaller towns.

My dad's take on it: "Can't stand it - there's like 20 different games of grab*ss goin' on at once". :D

I appreciate the athleticism for sure. I played back in the 70's as a kid and remember my lungs stinging from the cold Fall air (Fall has traditionally been soccer season here in the South), running my tail off. It was nothing but a bunch of elitist little snobby brats - I never fit in or went for another season. I had to laugh when I saw someone say Football was for the rich. Couldn't be further from the truth. PeeWee Football in the South is something everyone can afford - they'll even provide scholarships these days.

15. kp8

kp8 Friend of Leo's

You missed my point entirely. I wasn't posting over a concern for the health of the players but making the point that the bigger & faster aspect to the modern game and the resultant escalation in the severity of the injuries detracts significantly from the enjoyment of the game imo (you don't have to agree).

16. chet

chet Banned

"the US hates soccer... "

Can't stand the buzzing...

17. kp8

kp8 Friend of Leo's

The flopping in soccer is the second worst part of the game. I get tired of it in the NBA too. There should be a review after the game and if someone is caught blatantly acting they should be given a penalty. The Danny Ainge "i didn't do anything incredulous look" for every single infraction is most bothersome.

18. Slow Reflexes

Slow Reflexes Poster Extraordinaire

{spastic posting fingers}

19. Slow Reflexes

Slow Reflexes Poster Extraordinaire

That's in large part why I really don't care to watch NFL ball. College football is still a game I can enjoy.

Amen to that.
    Heh... Ainge could still knock down a three; I'll overlook the "I'm so wounded" stuff. Vlade Divac, now... that guy bugged the hell outta me. He'd take a dive if Spud Webb had nudged him.

20. kp8

kp8 Friend of Leo's

But Danny had the face down pat. The eyebrows, the hands out... pretty much every time the whistle blew. haha......

The buzzing seems to be filtered steeply where i watch now. It is no where near as bad as it was when the games started. They must notch it at that B below middle C where most of the buzzing is now. I am okay with it as it. The first 3 matches i watched made me bonkers.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.