1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

the US hates soccer...

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by EasyEB, Jun 24, 2010.

1. slauson slim

slauson slim Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

There is plenty of futbol on television in the US, and there has been for a long time. It's on Univision, TV Azteca and Telemundo - also Fox Sports Espanol, Fox Soccer Channel, Gol TV, and Setanta Sports. ESPN now carries the Champions Leage.

I used to watch the World Cup on Spanish language television because that was the only place that carried it. Goooooooooooooooool!

If anyone thinks futbol is not popular in the US, wait until Mexico plays Argentina this weekend. In some places there won't be a person on the street, and there will be crowds in bars and restaurants.

2. Slow Reflexes

Slow Reflexes Poster Extraordinaire

If so, then the actors pretending to be in Boston really didn't earn their wages...

3. Yoni

Yoni Friend of Leo's

really the reaction of a sport in a sports bar is not the barometer to judge the popularity of a sport...in a sports bar where they sell alcohol.

4. BooNin

BooNin Tele-Meister

So let's get this straight, some of you are getting upset because football/soccer/futbol is maybe quite popular in the US???? TDPRI setting high standards again for tolerance and understanding!

5. Big John

Big John RIP

6. Edenfield99

Edenfield99 Tele-Meister

7. goldtopper

goldtopper Friend of Leo's

I respect their fitness and endurance.

I detest their drama and gigantic egos.

I'd rather watch two rabbits mate- there'd be more scoring and less whining.

8. Tim Bowen

Tim Bowen Poster Extraordinaire

Honest opinion.

I don't care what people call it. Feetsball perhaps, but it's soccer to me. I have loads of respect for the skill and stamina involved with playing the game to its utmost, and I do watch soccer matches, even when it's not the World Cup. If I'm honest, the routine 1-0 scores do require a certain amount of understanding of the game from fans. I've always had a problem with the "draws" (at least call 'em "ties") - but better yet, determine a winner! Athletics is all about determining a "winner", and I'm sorry, a draw (particularly as many that occur within soccer), puts off lots of fans. It's not Einstein vs. Shakespeare, it's a physical contest, and there should be a winner. This really came home to me when contrasted to that crazy eleven hours plus tennis match that transpired over the course of three days. It's difficult to get truly excited about a sport that embraces a draw (far too "gentlemanly" for my tastes), in its current incarnation.

As for "non prime time athletics", I watch lots of volleyball and table tennis (No, no, no, it's not "Ping Pong"!). I'm certainly in the minority here, but traditional American football is not particularly interesting to me, which likely speaks to my shortage of male friends, as to "sports bonding". No game is even remotely as interesting to me as is baseball.

9. Horse

Horse Tele-Meister

Look at Golf, lots of Americans love it, people all over the world do. To me its like watching wood warp but i understand the passion and love for a game.

Why is it such a battle over USA liking football or not? its a game, its not remotely like NFL, there is no competition with NFL and football. I love NFL.

Us brits and you Americans are cousins, share the love!

10. Nick Fanis

Nick Fanis Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

FOOTBALL (I don't know what soccer is..:lol:) is the MOST POPULAR sport in the WORLD (contrary to common belief ... the world does not start from California and ends in NY...:lol:),so I guess the whole world is full of sissies:lol:

I lived for many years in the US and I love AMERICAN football,but no matter what I do I can't convince my Greek friends to watch it cause in their..personal opinion it is a sport for gorillas.....:lol:

Do your self a favour just watch a game,ANY game ,w/ Argentina or Brazil ,you may change your mind on football (the REAL football...);)

11. Durtdog

Durtdog Poster Extraordinaire

Funny, I saw it the other way around. People who don't care for the sport being ridiculed as "intolerant" by those who like it.

12. Telefone

Telefone Tele-Holic

When your quarterback gets taken out by a 260# defensive end and doesn't get up for a year.
    THATS FOOTBALL

13. Horse

Horse Tele-Meister

C,mon fellas, this is a great forum, lets be glad for those who enjoy something no matter if we do or dont.

Confucious say '' better to accept your brother than to dwell on him not knowing that Japan pummelled Denmark''

14. tonfarbe

tonfarbe Tele-Holic

"Soccer is for sissies"

Judging a sport by it's 'testosterone level' is stupid.
    Every sport has it's own fascination: hunting for records, perfect body control, tactics etc.

Here are just a few football 'sissies'.
    Does this make football more attractive? In my eyes, no.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. kp8

kp8 Friend of Leo's

That is a HUGE part of why i dislike the NFL now. The players are so big and so fast, creating such a huge impact that it is way too easy for exciting and talented players now to become injury riddled, or have season or career ending injuries. In some cases, even life threatening.

Train your whole life. Get supremely skilled & learn the game. Get drafted. Everyone is excited. Gonna make your team a contender. Get hit. End of career. Boo.

NFL is (imo) in big trouble now. The physics and biology of the game are no longer in agreement. The current situation is not tenable and a once great sport is now deeply flawed and dangerous. How many concussions did Troy Aikman have? They need to figure this out. So far the answer has been to add more and more equipment, which just seems silly to me. I think there needs to be more rule changes or something.

YMMV.

16. mxmcat

mxmcat TDPRI Member

Watch the video on Youtube (not via tdpri) ... click on the little football ball just at the bottom right ...

:p

Last edited: Jun 25, 2010
  17. Colo Springs E

Colo Springs E Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

18. Colo Springs E

Colo Springs E Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

19. Artemio_Cruz

Artemio_Cruz Tele-Meister

football or what you call soccer is not boring, its just some of you dont get it.
    Its just harder to score, that doesnt mean is boring.

If you dont like draws watch USA vs Ghana, you cant draw a second stage match.
    Its not that the sport allows draws, it depends on what kind of match it is, why do you think there hasnt been 2 simultaneous world cup champions?

Im not a big football/soccer/futbol fan, i dont like to watch it other than the World Cup.
    I like playing it and other sports, but i suck at them.

20. goldtopper

goldtopper Friend of Leo's

Not anymore he doesn't!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.