1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

the US hates soccer...

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by EasyEB, Jun 24, 2010.

1. Jeff_K

Jeff_K Friend of Leo's

Let the haters say what they will, but that's exactly what my uptight major oil company office looked like. People went nuts. Thanks for posting that.

2. J-man

J-man Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Admin Post
    Play nice, guys..

3. LeroyBlues

LeroyBlues Tele-Holic

Personally, and this is just my opinion, soccer is for sissy's. Unfortunately, soccer is being played in schools all across America. I say unfortunately because I think it hurts out schools football programs. I suspect that many potentially good football players are steered away from the sport by overprotective parents, especially moms. Maybe it's for the best, as we only want the toughest players on the football field anyways. No facts to support any of this, it's just my opinion.

4. Colo Springs E

Colo Springs E Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Have any of you who think the US is so soccer-wild, considered for a moment that what a lot of people are actually doing, is WATCHING THE US COMPETE INTERNATIONALLY, not WATCHING SOCCER.

People watch the US in curling, ice-skating, skeet-shooting, swimming relays, etc in the Olympics. And that's great, national pride and all that.

When soccer is regularly scheduled on TV, sells out 50,000 stadiums ON A REGULAR BASIS, has stars that we recognize their faces and their first names on TV ads, and its jersey sales, TV revenue, etc are on par with baseball, basketball, and football (the AMERICAN kind)... then I'll concede.

It may be gaining in popularity, and if it is, I'm all for it (seriously). I don't care for it, I never will, but I have no issue at all with it becoming big. My point (and the point of many others here), is it ain't big yet, not even close.

5. Mr.Reed

Mr.Reed Tele-Afflicted

You're kidding right?! :eek:

Soccer is cheaper to play, just as legitimate as a sport, and takes at minimum the same amount of skill to play well.

I'm sorry you have this opinion... (American) Football is a sport that only the rich can afford to participate in (and is why it isn't played on a global scale)... viva la futbol

6. kddean66

kddean66 Tele-Holic

I love the World Cup! I thoroughly enjoy watching an international competition for which the U.S. are perennial underdogs. I thought the end of that match was one of the most exciting things I had seen in years. I love the build up to the world cup. I usually start getting excited a couple of months out.

That being said, I have never watched an MLS game. I don't currently have any intention of watching an MLS game. I'm really not sure why, it just doesn't excite me.

I do find it sad that some of you here can't help but put down the sport.

7. slickschoppers

slickschoppers Tele-Holic

LOL!!!

the crowd cheering is not proof that Americans love soccer.... LOL!!

America loves WINNERS!!!

just like the olympics or many other international sports america will cheer for there team and become rabid fanatics if THEY ARE WINNING..

but!! if america would have lost early on you would not have seen many people shedding tears....

i'm neither against or for soccer..... (I'm not a sports fan period)

but lets face it,,, america loves a winner....

how many of you watch competitive swimming in your free time when Michael Phelps is not in the olympics... He has even commented that his games DURING the year are not attended by many, even if he breaks world records,,, just the olympics.

8. EasyEB

EasyEB Tele-Meister

My pleasure. Funny how much ignorance is out there regarding the beautiful game.

9. robb3566

robb3566 Tele-Afflicted

I love the game, and mostly I watch English Premier League. MLS doesn't really do it for me for some reason.

Watch a few EPL matches. Definitely not a 'sissy' league. There's no way you'll convince me that throwing your body around, in shorts, on a field made of frozen mud in the middle of January for 90 minutes doesn't require a certain amount of toughness.

P.S.: I also like 'our' sports. My life without the NY Giants and Mets would be a hollow shell.

10. BritishBluesBoy

BritishBluesBoy Former Member

This thread is a shining example of open mindedness, learning, sharing and understanding of opposite points of view. Well done TDPRI...

Hmmmmm....

11. tap4154

tap4154 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I guess uptight major oil companies NEED something to cheer about these days, and a nice diversion...

:D

12. Colo Springs E

American football is available to students in pretty much every public school system in the US, and the cost is not all that much (at the high school my daughter graduated from, it costs $65 to play any sport). For football, you'd need to buy cleats (as you would in soccer) as well as a cup, which I would assume you would need in soccer also.

The uniforms/pads/helmet etc are covered by the $65 fee.

13. kp8

kp8 Friend of Leo's

I am American. I love soccer (football). I especially love WC soccer. I look forward to it & being at the 2002 WC was a transformative experience I will never forget as long as I live. What an amazing summer that was.

I love watching the game (the US-Algeria game had me on the edge of my seat the whole way). I am not just *watching the US compete* I am watching the game and have teams i root for (of course the home team above all, more fun that way imo).

I dont give a hoot what all everyone else likes. Some folks like new age music, watery coffee, and lite beer too good on them. I like what I like. I am actually a little sad when the WC is over, but by then the MLB is heating up and I like to follow that as much as time will allow (which is rarely these days).

So pumped for the coming rounds. I really been enjoying waking up to WC matches with my morning coffee and toast. Awesome!

-kp--

14. J-man

J-man Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Admin Post
    $65 is definitely not affordable in third world countries, not to mention the cost of the posts (which are pretty necessary for kick goals).

Football (soccer) requires a ball, and um.. Four objects to act as goal posts.

And no, football players don't wear cups.

15. Colo Springs E

I am an American and don't care for soccer; however, I have some degree of interest in what happens going forward. What I can't do is spend 90 minutes watching a complete game (ANY soccer game), I just find it incredibly boring.

However, I will tune into ESPN and catch highlights and would like to see the US do well (because I'm from there) and would like to see Holland and Germany do well too, because I was stationed in both of those countries and enjoyed my time there and loved the people. And, I know soccer means a lot to them.

16. kelnet

kelnet Telefied Ad Free Member

I don't think anyone is saying that the US is "soccer-mad." No-one is saying that soccer is up there with the major American sports.
    However, a few people have said that no-one in America likes soccer. They are wrong. There are lots of people in America who like soccer. Let's face, if only 1% of the population is watching, that's still 3.5 million people, which is almost the population of New Zealand.

17. Colo Springs E

The poster I was quoting didn't say anything about a 3rd world county; he said you had to be "rich" to play US football. My response to his assertion was--at least at my daughter's high school--there's no distinction between playing football or basketball or soccer or whatever with regard to the fee.

By the way, everyone always points to how cheap it is to play futbol--all you need is a ball and as you point out above, four objects to act as goal posts. You are aware US football is played on a daily basis in this same manner, right? When we play US football in parks throught the USA, it's with a football and a rock placed here as out of bounds, a t-shirt thrown on the ground there to indicate the end zone, etc.

18. Colo Springs E

We agree. There are a lot of people in the US who like soccer.

19. EasyEB

EasyEB Tele-Meister

Wow so much wrong in this post. Those people were watching soccer. You don't see pubs opening at 7 am(or earlier on the west coast) to show the Olympics. They do for the World Cup. People certainly do not get up to go to said pubs to watch curling, ice-skating, skeet-shooting, swimming relays at 7 am. Cities such as DC, Portland, KC, SF, LA do not set up giant public viewing parties for the Olympics. They do for the World Cup. Those people didn't just wander into these places to stop and get a drink on their way to work. They took vacation time, called in sick to work, made a point to watch soccer.

You hold to this archaic view that in order for soccer to be a success in this country, it has to do the same business the NBA, MLB and the NFL. Nothing is farther from the truth. There are 350 million people in this country and an awful lot of them like soccer. I hate to break the news to you but soccer is regularly scheduled on TV. ESPN, Univision and Fox Soccer Channel all broadcast MLS games and guess what? They pay the league to do so. So you see, whether you concede or not doesn't matter. No matter what predjudice you hold against the game, no matter how badly you want to believe that people in Covington, KY and Lincoln, NE are merely getting up at the crack of dawn to go to their local watering hole just watch the US compete internationally, you are still wrong. Soccer is indeed popular in this country.

20. Colo Springs E

Your posts hold genuine entertainment value, thanks!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.