The Undertones

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by ping-ping-clicka, Nov 19, 2019.

1. ping-ping-clicka

ping-ping-clicka Tele-Holic

2. Tommy Biggs

Tommy Biggs Friend of Leo's

H Y P I’m hypnotized!

I wanna wanna be a male mod el!

They were surely different. Kinda liked them.

GGardner likes this.
  3. chillybilly

chillybilly TDPRI Member

I'm not the luckiest person on earth - far from it - but I did happen to be in London on a night when the Undertones played Dingwalls (Camden Market, North London) about 10 years ago.

I was a devotee of their music in the original era albeit delayed by a year or two as so many things were due to the lag between musical trends across the Atlantic Ocean in those years.

I always marveled at their hooks, at the humor, at the clever lyrics, at the ability to merge pop and punk. I also marveled at the fact that they were from Northern Ireland at the height of The Troubles and managed to avoid the subject entirely. As they confirmed in a documentary I watched a few years ago, they were very aware of this but it wasn't meticulously planned. Like all skilled authors, they wrote what they knew and that was the high jinks of youth and adolescent angst.

Back to Dingwalls, I was disappointed but fully informed about the history of Feargal Sharkey's departure from the band and refusal to rejoin for any reason. To be fair, he launched a solo career and later got involved with music at a promotional/managerial/executive/media level.

I've actually got the 'Teenage Kicks' DVD documentary featuring John Peel. Excellent.

I was skeptical at best about Paul McLoone - or anyone else - being able to replace Sharkey's distinctive vocals. That doubt was swept aside with the first blast of sound in the smallish club. McLoone had his own thing but it fit perfectly with the 4 original members. The crowd - especially the dance floor populated by 50 clones of Phil Mitchell - heaved back and forth like waves hitting a dock and a good time was had by all. The Undertones had played these songs hundreds of times but did it with relentless energy. Like so many bands, the vocals and guitars (played by the two brothers) get the attention but it's the rhythm section that makes or breaks it and the drums & bass were locked in. Grinning, sweating, they pounded out the foundation for the rest.

I was on John O'Neill's side of the stage. Given the rather ratty, punky sound of their guitars on the records I guess I expected vintage combos of questionable pedigree but John had a half stack consisting of a Marshall 1960A 4x12 and a Bad Cat head. This was the first time I'd seen a Bad Cat in the flesh. About a decade later I ended up owning a Bad Cat combo myself for about a year.

I momentarily worried that John's amp sound would be 'too good' but he proved that, yes, tone is in the fingers and when I closed my eyes it was 1979 again.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 19, 2019
    elihu and Fretting out like this.
  4. Fretting out

Fretting out Tele-Afflicted

Wow this sure is catchy I can really appreciate punk music with real singing rather than incoherent shouting

5. GGardner

GGardner Tele-Afflicted

Absolutely! Haven't listened to them in decades but used to love them. "Get Over You," "You Got My Number," and "My Perfect Cousin" remain in my mind's jukebox.

Tommy Biggs likes this.
  6. Brad Pittiful

Brad Pittiful Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

jimmy jimmy ooooooooo

Tommy Biggs likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.