The Ultimate Tapping/Touch technology

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by Dave Douglas, Jul 2, 2020.

1. Dave Douglas

Dave Douglas TDPRI Member

Knowing personally Eddie Van Halen and jamming with Stanley Jordan at the 12th Street Pub in Philadelphia was and is a blessing. These two renowned musicians in the world-of-touch/tapping single-neck guitar taught this old-timer Dave Bunker, inventor of the double-neck patented "Touch Guitar" in 1959, a few needed lessons. I thank them both for their input and the great talent they have given to the world of music and guitars.

To answer your question about who was the first publically recognized tapping player, it was Jimmy Webster. The first double-neck touch/Tapping instrument was the bunker "Touch Guitar". Wikipedia

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 2, 2020
    Andre Rock and eallen like this.
  2. Dave Douglas

tapping on a standard guitar with common wound coils is archaic. I greatly honor those great artists I mentioned who I was blessed to be-friend in my quest for the perfect tapping instrument - and they did it on instruments that were no way designed for tapping. Let's discuss - "Electronic Muting indbrg80px.GIF times_PCBD_300px.jpg GTX-Hammer.jpg indbrg80px.GIF times_PCBD_300px.jpg GTX-Hammer.jpg indbrg80px.GIF " - let's discuss individuaL on and off single string pickups, imagine a different sound on each string, or surround sound in a large room - How about individual bridges to clean up cross-talk and only have the string touched or picked sounding - on and 0n, common, challenge me to a fight, I'm up for it.

Attached Files:

Andre Rock and Fretting out like this.
  3. Fretting out

Fretting out Friend of Leo's

How does this mute work?
    If you’re willing to share

Is it something that physically touches the string?
    Or is it done electronically with something like a built in limiter/noise gate/compressor?

Andre Rock likes this.
  4. Dave Douglas

Good morning, Fretting out. Thanks for asking. The Electronic Mute requires that the frets are grounded, and it requires that each string has a separate individual bridge, and individual pickup electronically separated, one from the other, mechanically and electronically which lets you control each string as a separate instrument of sound. It's really like playing on six or more guitars at the same time, each with its own volume, tone, etc.
    Only the string, or strings you are touching sound, all others are off.

A small DC voltage is sent from each individual bridge to the Guitar CPU, which is separated from each other when the string is touched to the string. As you remove your finger, the computer uses a pre-set value to turn the string off. It is so fast that there are no nanoseconds of delay.

The technical digital technology has taken many years to develop a new and hopefully final board called the Digitar Guitar CPU. It has a very large computer and is almost limitless as to the control and sounds which it can produce. currently being built is probably the final 10-12 string double neck Bunker Touch Guitar (see Wikipedia). With this already designed by my over the top friend and engineer Rich Wilson, it has almost no limits to the imagination of what one wants to program into it. Surround sound, any instrument sound on each string, internal midi effects, on and on. Just use your imagination and it's there.

Attached Pictures show some products incorporating this new technology.

Thanks, I hope this answers your questions, D D

Attached Files:

Fretting out likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.