1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

The ultimate flush trim bit

Discussion in 'The DIY Tool Shed' started by gb Custom Shop, Nov 15, 2020.

1. gb Custom Shop

gb Custom Shop TDPRI Member

Hi all,

I'm considering an early Christmas gift for myself - a new flush trim bit for routing bodies. I currently use a Yonico 2" flush trim with a top & bottom bearing. It works okay, although I find it vibrates a lot more than all my other bits, I have to 'downhill' rout when using it, and it's been a bittersweet relationship with it giving me blow out a few times. I'm intrigued by some of the spiral & compression flush trim bits - and in theory it seems the compression should work better.

What do people here recommend for flush trim bits? I'd much prefer a 1-3/4" - 2" cutting length so I can hit the body in one pass. But I'm having a tough time finding a compression flush trim bit with that cutting length.

Also, with these fancy bits, do people still 'downhill' rout the body? Or just hit it all in one pass?

Cheers!

LetItGrowTone likes this.
  2. GunsOfBrixton

GunsOfBrixton Tele-Afflicted

3. gb Custom Shop

Do you think it would be better to get a 2" upcut bit and hit the body in 1 pass, or a shorter compression and hit the body in 2 passes?

4. GunsOfBrixton

GunsOfBrixton Tele-Afflicted

A number of people here use 2" cut length bit and do the the full cut per pass. But if you have templates on both sides of the body blank you could use the compression bit. (Or move the template from one site to the other) Either way will work. Remember, if you go with the shorter bit, don't drill the Jack hole until after you route.

5. gb Custom Shop

mfguitar likes this.
  6. Axis29

Axis29 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

To answer your second question, going uphill always means the possibility of tear out. But, spiral bits lower the odds in your favor. Compression bits even more so. Taking small bites is another helper in the equation.

But, there's always the chance.

7. old wrench

old wrench Friend of Leo's

The bit I have is a Whiteside RFT 5200 (pretty sure that's the model number) :); it's a pretty darn good quality bit.

The best bits might give you a certain advantage in the quality of the cut, but there isn't a bit out there that's going to help me if I take too big of a cut ;).

If you are doing a full-height cut, a minimal cut is an imperative - no real way around it.

Some of us just do far better and get consistent good results with a spindle or drum sander :).

8. netgear69

netgear69 Tele-Afflicted

9. Jim_in_PA

Jim_in_PA Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Personal experience, no...but I have acquaintances who use them and consider them the "bee's knees" for cut quality. If I had a need, I'd buy these for sure.

10. Quixotic

Quixotic TDPRI Member

+1 on the whiteside bits. They're great stuff. I also stock my shop with Freud bits which is about as cheap as I'm willing to pay and they're not bad at all. CMT bits are also rather good, and recently I've picked up a few Amana Tool bits as well and they work splendidly. I use those real fat Freud bits to hog out material from the sides and the Whiteside 3000 or Amana Tool 45485 cutters are my go-to for anything from neck pockets to control cavities.

Some of these smaller names are very interesting though. I'll have to look into them as well hahaha

11. Jim_in_PA

Jim_in_PA Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

It's always a best practice to invest in good tooling for the things you are going to use a lot and for critical work. "One in a blue moon" needs can often be handled by more run of the mill things, but for the things you use often, buy the best quality you can afford.

12. gb Custom Shop

Appreciate your input all!

I definitely want something with a 2" cut length and it seems tough to find a compression bit with that cut length. Which puts the Whiteside upcut in first place for me at the moment. For $140 CDN shipped (or $100ish USD) I'm okay with that for the quality.

13. carpenter

carpenter Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

I like the 4 blade design it makes sense .

14. Rufus

Rufus Tele-Afflicted

bitsandbits.com I think is the website I recently saw recommended. They sell some quality bits. I believe they have a 10 or 15% sale on now thru December.
    I was going to order a couple of bits, myself

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.