1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

The ultimate deal of a lifetime

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by ebb soul, Jul 5, 2018.

1. ebb soul

ebb soul Poster Extraordinaire

'63 Hofner verythin, real wood not ply. Authentic German handmade craftmanship.
    It was mislisted or considered a Asian copy.
    Seller screwed up.
    This is the real deal $3000 Hofner, scored for $600. received_10210481577070331.jpeg received_10210481573670246.jpeg received_10210481573670246.jpeg

2. tery

tery Doctor of Teleocity

I guess so … Congratulations !

3. elelpe

elelpe Tele-Afflicted

Lucky. Gonna keep or sell it?

4. ebb soul

The top and back are only 1/16th thick. All nickel hardware.
    I think the knobs are not original, and it has straplocks.
    I guess this wood is considered 'bearclaw', it is neither quite quilt or flame.
    I have not seen this quality even on a Collings.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2018
  5. ebb soul

Both, I think. Keep it ten twenty years maybe it helps pay some medical bill..in any case it goes to the vault, not gonna play it out.

6. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

I seriously doubt it's 1960s with that type of bridge and tailpiece, they didn't do that until the 1970s, and I think the center blocks too.

By the way, why don't you think it's a new German one? I think there's a strong possibility it is.

magicfingers99 likes this.
  7. 8barlouie

8barlouie Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I noticed the serial number through the f hole. The “1” is hand written and looks like a conventional Arabic numeral 1. The Germans make their 1 with a long serif starting on the left and going up at an acute angle then straight down. It looks like an upside down narrow V. That calls the Germanic origin into question I think. I know zero about any other indicators.

8. ebb soul

They did custom runs. Still do.
    Serial # =1963, and clearly a mid year headstock making it one of the very first with the 'new' headstock design.
    I have already contacted Hofner about this.
    I find many images of TOM equiped Hofners of that vintage. Rare thou.
    I would have preffered it to have a flying tailpeice, but, hey...
    If it were a new German built, someone put some twenty yrs of relicing on the hardware!

9. CK Dexter Haven

CK Dexter Haven Friend of Leo's

I agree, It may be a Standard such as below, possibly W/ Changed PU's; I had one that was as pictured w/ the "Diamond" Pu's ..not sure they continued for the full run. However the dots, and PU's give pause, is it labeled made in Germany? If not... The '60's serial # may have been reused on the import line.

True vintage Verithins use a different label and non standard hardware, and are full hollow, the newer German ones are quite thin but have a center block. 14-15 years of play is more than enough to put a patina on nickel & chrome.

Still a nice guitar, that can be found occasionally for short money, I paid $600 a 3-4 years ago, and sold it for a few hundred more last year. I would play and enjoy it, if you make a bit when you tire of it, think of that as a bonus. Did you get the case? the factory case was quite nice w. a hydrometer and other bling. If it's a import , those are nice also, this one looks good,

https://reverb.com/item/6731445-hof...cWvLLbxW8jureJLqu0Zni_2dQhoCIyYQAvD_BwE&pla=1

Last edited: Jul 5, 2018
  10. ronzhd

ronzhd Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

Sweet score!

11. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Stunning!
    I'm jealous.

12. ebb soul

The pickups labels proves some authentacy, verified that straight away. The unusual inch tall bridge pickup ring hails to the era, also.
    Don't understand why some of you think TOMs did not exist in '63.
    There were about four 'verythin' versions, two with cateye f holes.
    One with three single coils.
    Only one with a flying tail peice.
    This was the full hollow one.

13. jayyj

jayyj Tele-Afflicted

This is a fairly modern German made Verythin - I work for a big Hofner dealer and have been over to the factory several times. They've been relying on imported versions for a quite a few years but started production again this year we've just had our first German guitar in going on ten years land a couple of weeks ago. I'd guess this is an early 2000s guitar.

The name'Verithin' was coined by the UK importer Selmer who claimed ownership of the that name, so Hofner switched the spelling for the latter guitars. There are dozens of features that set the 60s versions apart from the modern versions, from staple pickups to zero frets to elongated F holes to brittle nitro vanish that cracked in a distinctive manner. However, the guitar you have is a far, far better made guitar than the originals were.

It was a great score for $600! The new version lists at £1999 in the UK.

Jakedog and 7171551 like this.
  14. 7171551

7171551 Tele-Afflicted

^^^^^

I agree with this

Hey, its still a great score! (I have a Hofner New Commitee and a '63, both great guitars.) The new versions are NOT cheap. Enjoy!

15. drf64

drf64 Poster Extraordinaire

Tell us about the hunt, closing in for the kill, ultimate victory, and the weeping of the seller's wife and children echoing in your ears as you returned.

16. Texsunburst59

Texsunburst59 Friend of Leo's

Nice score.

Even if it's not an original, you should still hold your head up and be proud.

At least you didn't overpay for this used newer version.

17. ebb soul

Here's what I think happened. Owner died, guitar found under bed.
    Estate sale or relative looked it up and found the ' contemporary series', and priced it as such.
    I have never hit the buy button faster in my life.
    I have looked for one of these for 12 hears, figuring I would eventually fine one sub $1000.
    No case available or offered, thou.
    Odd.
    25 scale maple neck and thin frets nod to old Fender a bit!

Gene O. and drf64 like this.
  18. magicfingers99

magicfingers99 Friend of Leo's

is it a nitro finish or poly? Take a bit of 90% alcohol and dab an incospicous spot, if it melts its nitro. It will reform as soon as the alcohol evaporates.

Nitro was all they used in the old days.

Nitro of that vintage should also have long thin cracks and crazing in the finish due to temperature and humidity changes and shrinkage of the nitro.

enjoy it for whatever is if you like it, you like it. Don't baby it, if you want something to hang on your wall a large moose head looks formidable and will scare away the wild vermin if they know whats best for them.

ebb soul likes this.
  19. knopflerfan

knopflerfan Tele-Afflicted

:lol:

20. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I had a somewhat simiar experience in December 1980.
    I responded to classified ad in the local paper (Austin American Statessan) for a 1968 Les Paul.
    My first LP, which I bought for $350 in 1973 was a 1968, and I liked the big neck.
    The “older” (mid 40s) ;) couple selling it had taken it to the local full service music store (JR Reed) for appraisal.
    The staff told them it was a 1968, and that they should replace the “crappy” Kluson tuners.
    The guitar sported brand new (gold!) Grover Rotomatics.
    They appraised it at the then going rate for a 1968 gold top, $500.
    Long story short, JR Reed got it wrong.
    It was a late 1955, lightweight, stop and tuneamatic gold top, complete with clean Cali girl brown case.
    I got it for the agreed $500.
    I bought it the day John Lennon was murdered.
    I kept it for two years, and sold it, tripling my money.
    Smart, I ain’t.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.