1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

The Ultimate Bedroom Rig

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Steerforth, Aug 18, 2020.

1. Maguchi

Maguchi Tele-Meister

Just remembered, Marshall makes a couple of good bedroom amps. An all tube DSL1CR 1 watt 1x8" Combo for $350, or if that's not enough power, they also make a DSL5CR 5 watt 1x10" Combo for $500. The circuit is supposed to be the same design as the big 100, 50, 40 and 20 watt DSL (Dual Super Lead) amps.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2020
    Steerforth likes this.
  2. Mark1406

Mark1406 TDPRI Member

It depends on what playing you do in your room of choice. I usually work out songs or play along with them.

For this reason my amp of choice is a computer. It is all old school, I use Cool Edit Pro to play and slow songs down, I use Line 6 Pod Farm with a Guitarport interface to get the amp tones I require.

I'm using computer speakers with a subwoofer, but I't prefer desktop monitors.

When playing with others I use an 18 watt Marshall or a Mesa Boogie SOB which has been modded to a Mark 1 more or less. I may use a distortion pedal or a boost pedal.

Regards

Mark

Steerforth likes this.
  3. El Marin

El Marin Friend of Leo's

THIS

[​IMG]

4. spikypaddy

spikypaddy Tele-Afflicted

I think I blew the budget, but I do play this in the bedroom (when the wife isn't home) and on 5 watt mode the Mesa is quieter than it could be...

IMG_20191126_131047.jpg

5. 39martind18

39martind18 Friend of Leo's

Bedroom, live rig, practice, whatever I throw at it! 20190104_134915.jpg What, I have a budget?!:eek::oops::rolleyes::(

6. Jackghost

Jackghost TDPRI Member

A03CB258-CEB5-42A7-A9F7-81BB622E177E.jpeg Peavey Blazer 158. Guitar cable. Ibanez Gio GAX70. Snark Tuner.

Nahtabot and puddin like this.
  7. scooteraz

scooteraz Friend of Leo's

Really nice. Cab is gorgeous. Who built the amp and box?

Steerforth and puddin like this.
  8. puddin

puddin Tele-Holic

Thanks.. Curt Emery, built the amp. My wife, and I designed, and built the cab.

Steerforth likes this.
  9. Jay Jernigan

Jay Jernigan Tele-Afflicted

Danelectro Honeytone.
    Throw it in the sock drawer for extended low end.

10. Steerforth

Steerforth Friend of Leo's

I ordered some stuff this morning. Here’s the deal:

When my new gear comes, I will set the following up in the guitar corner that Mrs. Steerforth created in a corner of our bedroom by a window. It will be a permanent fixture in there.

Mrs. Steerforth already got me a nice, adjustable, armless, rolling chair with an extra comfortable pad on it.

There will be two guitar stands, one will be for an acoustic, with my Gibson Custom Shop Country Western (50s round shouldered, like a Southern Jumbo with a natural finish). Or the Martin 000. Or one of the many other acoustics.

The other will hold my Fender 50s Road Worn Telecaster (modified). Of course, I have a lot of other guitars in both categories, so that will change when the mood strikes me. Maybe a Gibson Les Paul Tribute gold top. Or a G&L ASAT Tribute Bluesboy. Or a Jackson Soloist. Or one of the others.

I still need to get something with P90s, and a hollow-body Gretsch with a Bigsby.

The amp will be a 5W Marshall Origin (2 x 12AX7 [ECC83] preamp, 1 x EL84 power, Celestion Eight-15 speaker, with gain boost and attenuator switch, headphone jack, fx loop, foot switch). Tubes!

Loading into the front will be a Catalinbread Dirty Little Secret, for extra Marshall goodness. In the loop will be an Electro-Harmonix Oceans 11 reverb/delay/tremolo pedal, the Swiss Army Knife of those sorts of effects.

For the headphone jack, Sony MDR-7506 studio headphones.

And, just for good measure, an IKMultimedia iRig Stomp I/O with iPad, loaded with GarageBand, AmpliTube with all the goodies, AmpliTube Acoustic, BIAS FX, BIAS AMP 2, BIAS Pedal, Tonebridge, GE Labs, THU, Mic Room, Voca Live, and Synth One. It charges the iPad while I play! Just the thing for adding some wah-wah or whatever.

Plus my PC is right there, for USB necessities.

And I bought an Electro-Harmonix S8 brick with 9V and 18V power so I don’t have wall warts all over the place.

I also still have a huge Zoom G5 with a JJ 12AX7 gold pin in it.

And I’ve got a big UL-listed surge protector outlet pad running through a HumX. It weighs a ton.

Plus a bunch of other amps to choose from if a boosted 5W Marshall tube amp isn’t loud enough. Our bedroom has high cathedral ceilings.

When I get this mess put together, I’ll try to remember to take a picture.

Meanwhile...

Marshall Origin 5

Catalinbread Dirty Little Secret

Electro-Harmonix Oceans 11

IK Multimedia iRig Stomp I/O

Zoom G5

So that ought to do it for when I want to retire to the bedroom and get away from it all. The rest of my stuff will stay where it is, this is the new bedroom setup.

I want to add a Fuzz Face, Wah-Wah pedal of some sort, and a Catalinbread Naga Viper Treble Boost (Dallas Rangemaster enhanced clone) eventually. And maybe the 4 x 12 cab for the Marshall Origin 5. It has a speaker out.

But that’ll do for now. :D

Thanks for all the rig rundowns! Man, I love this stuff! The pictures were great! I’ll let you all know how it sounds! :)

11. ladewd

ladewd TDPRI Member

I have a 5 watt Bugera G5. It’s dark sounding but not bad. My favorite amp to play at low volumes is my Boss Kantana MkII 100, of course it’s 100 watts but it quiets down nicely. If I need loud tubes, I have them also.

Steerforth likes this.
  12. Steerforth

Steerforth Friend of Leo's

I’m now running a Marshall Origin 5 tube amp with a Catalinbread Dirty Little Secret in front and an Electro-Harmonix Oceans 11 in the loop.

This little rig makes beautiful sounds with a Telecaster, for reasonable cost. And it will shake the rafters of the cathedral ceiling in our bedroom.

I want to add a fuzz pedal and a Catalinbread Naga Viper eventually. Haven’t decided on a fuzz pedal yet, there’s lots of offerings.

If you’re looking for a low cost bedroom rig and like Marshall sounds, this will do it.

13. Roscoe295

Roscoe295 TDPRI Member

212F9606-9832-461A-A769-0D12FF793D28.jpeg Just moved my ‘65 Gibson Scout (with a Herald Muscle Magnet speaker changed out a loooooong 212F9606-9832-461A-A769-0D12FF793D28.jpeg time ago) to the TV room (from the bedroom). Playing mostly a D’Agostino Benchmark through an Exotic BB Preamp pedal. Got the Tremolo & Reverb on board the Scout & I can split the humbuckers so there are a ton of tones I can hit with this pairing.

d barham likes this.
  14. cometazzi

cometazzi Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Well, I've got these:

[​IMG]

And also the two on the bottom here:

[​IMG]

Left is a Moog/Sundown Rocky @ 5 or 6 Watts, the right is a Reverend Goblin 5/15, which is switchable between 5 or 15 watts. They're both great tiny tube amps.

And when my neighbors p1ss me off with crappy music (I live in an apartment) it's this:

[​IMG]

Because I win every time.

that said, I'm on a quest to build a great-sounding super low wattage amp. Tube or solid state, doesn't matter. It just has to sing!

15. Twang Deluxe

Twang Deluxe Tele-Holic

Two Telecasters, a Strat and a Vox Pathfinder 15R (no Pedals)

16. Nahtabot

Nahtabot Tele-Meister

My "less is more" rig. About the same weight as my Tele.

IMG_0740.JPG

Last edited: Oct 9, 2020
  17. DekeDog

DekeDog Tele-Afflicted

Either some of you have a big-assed bedroom or you're single.

Nahtabot and Rocky058 like this.
  18. CSB123

CSB123 TDPRI Member

I am still very new to guitar 5-6 months, started late in my 40s, only around 6 months in, sort of survived my initial overzealous GAS, but went totally overboard.

Now i sit with a lot of Gear i am still trying to make heads or tails out of, or how it all works.

I have two “bedrooms” for guitar, i have a large house, with thick concrete walls. So i can generally play a bit louder than home theatre TV volume most of the time.

Downstairs we converted one of the living areas for purely music, probably a 19ft x 13ft space

Still busy finding the right set up of the room, so its a mess, but we keep, in this room.

1 x Vox AC15HW
    1 x Orange crust35rt
    1 x Epiphone les Paul standard pro
    1 x Fender Strat
    1 x Boss me-80
    1 x Yamaha headphones
    1 x Roland FP-10

0838D403-162C-466A-9A72-13AFB7E76EE5.jpeg 7DF9F531-A314-4DF5-B9A9-792C8528E325.jpeg 7D6811AE-DCA2-44C7-8932-4FA557FCC647.jpeg

I have 2 acoustics, Ibanez AEW400 and Yamaha FGX830 which usually is in the lounge/ home theater room, whereby i can practice and play, as often as i can.

Upstairs office i am still working on, i have a Scarlet 2i2 , Røde NT1A, JBL L305 Monitors, with a MacBook Pro . Really wanting to set up a Kemper here, but will wait till i know my “why” am i buying this lol

A7B0DE92-0AA0-4C0D-90B3-15988BB579A2.jpeg

To be honest i went big to soon, and its overwhelming the gear to say the least, 90% of my practice is on the acoustics, and a few hours a week, bashing around with the electrics, twisting this twisting that, not really knowing what i am doing, but every time i learn something new, so there is that.

I still have GAS, i still annoy the shops weekly, and i will still probably make some dumb purchases, of things I really don’t need yet, but hey i get a lot of fun out of the gear side too.

Long time lurker, first post for you fine folk.

Nahtabot likes this.
  19. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

CSB,

You need one of us to come over and show you how all that stuff works!

CSB123 likes this.
  20. DougM

DougM Poster Extraordinaire

I get the best sound at the really low volume levels that I play at from the Katana Mini, Mustang LT25, and THR10C, and is especially full and open sounding when using more than one of them together. With a combination of an ABY box and Y/jumper cables, I can use any combination of the two Minis, The LT25, and the two THR10Cs together. The GT40 is only a stand for the left Katana Mini. It may be replaced by another LT25 to make everything perfectly symmetrical.
    DSCN0975.JPG

CSB123 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.