1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

The Ultimate Bedroom Rig

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Steerforth, Aug 18, 2020.

1. Supereditor

Supereditor TDPRI Member

Love the look of those amps!

Steerforth likes this.
  2. Supereditor

Supereditor TDPRI Member

I use a Boss Katana head and it’s pretty great. I also once had a Yamaha THR that was great for bedroom use, in that it had a bass channel.

Not dream amps, but you can get great tones at low volume.

if I were to change anything, I would consider a ToneMaster Twin Reverb. Sounds very close to the tube amp with attenuation and none of the weight.

Steerforth likes this.
  3. Cali Dude

Cali Dude Tele-Holic

For bedroom use, or any small space, The TONE KING GREMLIN is fantastic. 8 watts, 12"speaker. Two channels, and a great attenuator. Great clean to amazing overdrive. I love mine.

Steerforth and puddin like this.
  4. Papapotrero

Papapotrero TDPRI Member

I actually have a setup under this price range for exactly the purpose you are describing. It works really well, and can also reach plenty of volume if playing in a small live setting.
    1) barber gain changer
    2) boing reverb pedal
    3) peavey Classic 20 mini head
    4) 12” cabinet with a greenback

I’ve found this to be a remarkably good setup for the price. I only use the peavey on the clean channel and only the boing pedal for the reverb. The gain changer is just about as perfect a drive pedal as I’ve ever heard.

Recently I also treated myself to a Carr Mercury V (which is an absolutely fantastic amp and can be attenuated down to very low volumes). But it’s way more expensive than the range you mentioned. This other cheaper setup that I mentioned still lives in my bedroom, and it’s a great.

Steerforth likes this.
  5. spud3

spud3 TDPRI Member

Tele.jpg

39martind18, Cali Dude, Joe K and 4 others like this.
  6. Big Twang Theory

Big Twang Theory TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

Best amp in my collection is a little Winfield 5 watt tweed champ clone. Made by a member of this site, Zook. Amazing little tone machine. When I go back to gigging, I will definitely use it live. Just throw a mic on it, and boom.

Steerforth, Cali Dude and Treehouse like this.
  7. Ghostdriver

Ghostdriver Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Heres mie, Blues Junior Tweed, and a few cheap pedals, works well at home and can crank it in a rehearsal studio no sweat, all good, i would like more expensive boutique pedals but these will do at the moment, they give me all the grunt required. IMG_3251.jpg

Steerforth and Rocky058 like this.
  8. pixeljammer

pixeljammer Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Overloud TH-U Full ($320) running on a MacBook Pro, Focusrite 2i2 ($160), Line 6 PowerCab 112+ ($800)

Great sound, infinite tweakability, distortion and harmonics at any volume.

$1280. Assumes that you have a decent laptop.

Steerforth likes this.
  9. pi

pi Tele-Meister

Right now it's Warmoth Telemaster (tele/jazzmaster hybrid) -> Alter Ego (looper setting) -> Vox Mini5 Rhythm (practice amp)

It's all I need for practicing and making noise.

Steerforth likes this.
  10. Dik Ellis

Dik Ellis Tele-Meister

My Vibro Champ XD, or my Tech 21 Trademark 10. Honorable mention is my early 70's Pignose with a Morley Power Wah Boost. I used to use that as a preamp for my Silverface Twin. It really sizzled. I love low watt amps.

Steerforth likes this.
  11. JunebugJones

JunebugJones TDPRI Member

The perfect bedroom rig depends on your style of playing, but these days I’m loving my little ‘70s Fender Vibro Champ. Really compact and light. 5 watts of clean, warm tube tone and easy to overdrive at reasonable volume. Great for Tele and Strat sparkle and chime. I drag my pedal board in and get lost for hours.

Steerforth and Cali Dude like this.
  12. Itgoesto11

Itgoesto11 Tele-Meister

This is my current bedroom rig. Sold all my tube amps and going with a Strymon Iridium into a Friedman FRFR or headphones with the Focusrite Solo. 6C25FA55-341C-413A-A3E9-0B46C2E83735.jpeg

Steerforth and Joe K like this.
  13. DaveG_NJ

DaveG_NJ Tele-Meister

I still use headphones when the wife is home. It's basically my iPhone or Mac into the Kemper for backing tracks and out to the Marshall Woburn II for audio.

59TeleCS - 3.jpeg

Steerforth likes this.
  14. SamIV

SamIV Tele-Holic

I work out of town, an yes it sucks not seeing my wife and kids, but I have this to play with and I am content for now. I brought a few toys with me. A Vox AC4 and a Boss GT-1 and a few guitars. When no neighbors are home it’s only the Vox. When I have company next door, the GT-1 is on to quiet things down. This little amp gets loud. Only thing I need is a sofa for my home away from home. I do have a fold up chair and a mattress though. One day hopefully a sofa. C140FC59-F6A5-43F3-9764-B93DF22395AD.jpeg

Steerforth and nicknklv like this.
  15. Pickingthru

Pickingthru Tele-Meister Gold Supporter

With limited space in my 32 ft fifth wheel, Tele -> Pedals -> Roland Street EX > Focusrite Scarlett 212;> Mac > Headphones for live recording.

Steerforth and stormsedge like this.
  16. stormsedge

stormsedge Friend of Leo's

IMG_7422.JPG

We have an alcove in our bedroom that might have been a huge closet had it been closed off...but then, all the "stuff" wouldn't fit (and it barely does now). I play these when Mrs is not in this end of the house studying. I play the Blackstar stand-alone with a mini-pedal effects and an attenuator...or, the big board through an ABY to the Bugera and Quilter (both at ~1w) with the effects on the Quilter. The Bugera drives the orange cab...the Quilter drives the black/wheat cab and the DV 2x8. The two small amps are 2 of 3 in rotation in the sunroom, where I may play "quietly" when Mrs is hitting the books. I guess under the circumstances "bedroom rig" is a matter of opinion ;), if not location.

Steerforth likes this.
  17. kingofdogs1950

kingofdogs1950 Tele-Afflicted

IMG_20200820_184939.jpg

Gibson Les Paul doublecut, faded (2004)
    6.2 lbs.
    50s neck (slightly larger)
    I am not shy about modding guitars but this one is complete stock and a pleasure to play.

Mojotone 5f11 tweed vibrolux (2017)
    Built by Mojotone and came with 10" and 12" baffles. I am using a Weber 12a125a speaker.
    Also completely stock although I bought the parts to add a bias control and will install it one of these days.
    I'm not shy about modding amps either, but I am happy with the 5f11 as it is.
    The blonde tolex is very cool looking.

My pedal board is sparse - a Timmy, Topanga and tuner. I rarely use the Topanga - the amp sounds like it already has reverb.

Markkrk

Steerforth, Cali Dude and Lakeabilene like this.
  18. uberaxe

uberaxe TDPRI Member

20200821_224433.jpg 20200821_224606.jpg I use a TC electronics Mimic to split all this to a Fender Frontman 65R

Steerforth and Rocky058 like this.
  19. Ess Eff

Ess Eff Tele-Afflicted

Bedroom rig?

Sorry, I win.... straight into a Champ clone.
    IMG_20190925_175248.jpg
    IMG_20190925_175109.jpg

Cali Dude, Steerforth and Maguchi like this.
  20. Maguchi

Maguchi Tele-Meister

5 watt Fender Tweed Champ reissue, or a used mid 70s Silverface Champ for about $600. An American Standard Tele (or even a MIM Fender Player Tele), and several Boss pedals for OD, Fuzz, Delay, Chorus, etc. Come to think of it that may cost more than $1000 to $1500, but might be able to get close if good deals were to be had on used gear.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2020
    Cali Dude and Steerforth like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.