1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

The Ultimate Bedroom Rig

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Steerforth, Aug 18, 2020.

1. TeleBluesMan

TeleBluesMan Tele-Holic

upload_2020-8-18_14-36-55.jpeg [​IMG]

Bandboy, tery, Honest Charley and 3 others like this.
  2. Bill

Bill Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

3. trxx

trxx Tele-Afflicted

Lucky you. With the...virus thing... going on, too many neighbors have been home here for months, and my usual crank it up and play until I'm tired routine ran into some problems.

Frodebro and Steerforth like this.
  4. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

I think that the POD GO may be the ultimate bedroom rig. I ain't giving up my tube amps for gigs (yet), I don't think, but for bedroom I do think the POD GO is now my new favorite toy.

I just spent about 6 hours (two evenings) configuring my new Line 6 Pod Go. The learning curve for how to program it either right on the device, or using their PC/Mac Pod Go Edit software was super easy, actually. Within about an hour I was very comfortable navigating either interface.

But I gave in and bought a Dlx Reverb preset with custom IR from WorshipTutorials.com for $4.99. The IR made all the difference to the tone I was able to get. I even used this same IR for some Marshall presets I built, and they sounded way better with this IR than using the cab/mike choices that came with the POD Go. It sounds more analog, less artificial-- not sure why, (less comb filtering artifacts, maybe?), but I had heard that IRs are the way to go with Helix products and I am now a true believer.

Using mainly the IR from this purchased preset I quickly built about 4 really nice Fender Deluxe Reverb-based and a couple of Marshall-based presets that sound incredibly good through headphones and will sound awesome going into my DAW. The POD GO really sounds fantastic as long as you basically ignore all of the factory presets, IMO. I suppose the best value of the factory presets is to give you a sense of the range of possibilities. But it seems almost any preset would require some significant tweaking to sound good-- starting with switching out the default cab/mike for a 3rd party IR.

I know a lot of people buy multiple IRs, but I'm pretty happy with the tones I can get across a wide range from super clean to super dirty with just this single IR instead of using the various cab/mike offerings built into the POD Go.

The POD GO even has great sounding dirt boxes in it. A Klon, an OCD, Timmy, 808, and much more. I think their OCD sounds really good. Even the fuzzes sound good. I made a few angry presets ranging from JCM800 shredder land to angry fuzz and I really like them. People say that digital modeling falls down when it comes to dirt tones but I have to say that these are quite acceptable to my ears.

I like the tones I'm getting so much that I'm actually getting a Yamaha DBR10 powered speaker so I can use it as an FRFR cab. If I don't end up gigging with it for guitar, the DBR10 will always be useful for our band PA system in a variety of situations. I tried the Amp Out option in the POD GO,and messing with different configurations to try and make it sound good with my tube amps while also sounding good through the PA, but it's a lot of work. I could do it, but essentially I would end up needing to take the patches I made, copy them to other banks, and then do some editing/modifying of them so that they sound good coming out of my tube amp. Much easier to just leave them be and play them through a PA FOH and also through an FRFR monitor behind me. So I'll be giving that a go. Even if at the end of the day I stick with tube amps and analog pedals for live playing, I really like having the POD Go for bedroom. It will also work as a save-the-bacon rig if my traditional rig were to fail. Just whip it out, plug into PA, and go.

Steerforth likes this.
  5. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Poster Extraordinaire

This is what I use for smaller jams and songwriting sessions...
    FFB728A6-CA5B-42AB-BAD9-18450B21938A.jpeg

Thoughtfree, tery, RobDaglish and 9 others like this.
  6. soulgeezer

soulgeezer Poster Extraordinaire

Boss Katana 50 on 1/2 watt, my regular pedalboard, and the Boss FS-6 footswitch.

My pedalboard chain is: ModTone Vintage Wah > Korg Pitchblack > Exar Octavium > Jacques Tube Blower > Jacques Meistersinger > Ibanez FL-9 Flanger

I have four presets: Clean, Semi-dirty, Dirty, and Lead. Hence, the FS-6, so I can cycle through all four.

It's a killer bedroom rig. The Katana takes pedals like nobody's business, so it's really like two versions of each preset. I use the Tube Blower with the gain on "1" and it boosts the presets just like it would a tube amp. Overall, the setup sounds pretty darn good across the board.

And, if I want to get loud, because nobody else is home, I just turn the attenuator to 25 or 50 watts. This thing can get loud, especially in my small practice room.

I don't know if it's the "ultimate" bedroom rig, but it certainly works for me.

7. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Boss Katana Air Headphone amp (sorry) with my normal board.

Or Marshall DSL1 combo with my normal board.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2020
    Steerforth and jannodude like this.
  8. Weazel

Weazel Tele-Holic

Actually, my Fender Mustang II does it wether I have company or not. I have neighbours, but this little gem with a 12" can howl when the neighbours are out.

Steerforth likes this.
  9. Old Smokey

Old Smokey Tele-Meister

WalthamMoosical, Bill and Steerforth like this.
  10. Old Smokey

Old Smokey Tele-Meister

I'm not sure "ultimate" is the word I would use, but my little rig is a 1954 Gibson GA-5 with a Flint and a Jackson Prism.

Cali Dude and Steerforth like this.
  11. Rocky058

Rocky058 Tele-Afflicted

Still at the mission I see. o_O

pixeljammer, P Thought and Steerforth like this.
  12. puddin

puddin Tele-Afflicted

1 watt..cheers

giyt 184 (2).jpg

13. bondoman

bondoman Tele-Holic

Not bad at all and in fact have had it set up several different ways and thats the best so far. I did run into one issue as being out in the shop I had this terrible buzzing going on thinking I'd blown a speaker. Turns out it was a model RC plane hanging from the ceiling. Didnt realize those things had such acoustic properties. Also if too loud tools and such start rattling.

Steerforth likes this.
  14. Steerforth

Steerforth Friend of Leo's

Nice! That’s versatility there!

soulgeezer likes this.
  15. howardlo

howardlo Tele-Afflicted

The terms ‘bedroom' rig or amp always sound strange to me. Been playing since 1957 and not once have I ever played guitar in a bedroom. Family room, den, basement, garage, dedicated music room and once in a while (rarely) in a living room. Not once in a bedroom.

Frodebro and Steerforth like this.
  16. Lockback

Lockback Tele-Meister

Bill and Steerforth like this.
  17. Jakedog

Jakedog Telefied Ad Free Member

FEFEB8FA-5F4F-45B5-A50A-1A63C3BC45E9.jpeg

This works for home for me. Marshall Origin 20 and a 1X12 extension cab. I also have a small board I use with it-

TU3, EHX Tone Corset, SD1, TC Mini Spark, MXR Phase 95, HOF mini.

Mostly with the Les Paul.

I also have 120 watt DV Mark, and my 18 watt boutique head. But mostly these days I only play at home so this is pretty much the rig.

tery and Steerforth like this.
  18. Steerforth

Steerforth Friend of Leo's

Maybe I should throw caution to the wind and get myself a Thunderverb 200.

“Honey, turn your amp down! I’m pinned to the wall!”

“Sorry, dear.” :lol:

Lockback, Fiesta Red and Jakedog like this.
  19. Ironwolf

Ironwolf Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

My home/bedroom rig is the same as if I'm playing out. Marshall Origin 50 half stack and a Tone Master Twin Reverb running wet/dry with a comprehensive pedal board.

Steerforth likes this.
  20. Togman

Togman Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

This is both my live and bedroom rig.

IMG_20200818_213255_542.jpg

pixeljammer, Nozebleeds, tery and 3 others like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.