The Ugly Truth from my Dito Looper X2

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Mr powers, Jun 28, 2021.

1. Mr powers

Mr powers Tele-Meister

I have the house to myself for a few days so I decided to plug in and play over some chord changes using my Dito Looper.

Brutal.

If you wanna test yourself to see how well you can play over changes, it's a good way to hear some ugly truths.

I'm not saying it's not fun...I'm just saying it's a good way to assess your progress, good or bad.

Edit:
    I use a Kealey Tone Work Station for dirt and compression,
    Boss Waza Craft for Delay, and
    Hughes and Kettner Grand Meister 40 for amplification and effects such as reverb, chorus, flange, phaze or tremolo. 20210628_134727.jpg

Last edited: Jun 28, 2021
    scook, JustABluesGuy, don71 and 4 others like this.
  2. RoscoeElegante

RoscoeElegante Friend of Leo's

Yep, same here. I've canceled and re-done just-for-me simple loops many times. "Gawd, that's sloppy!" I've trained the dog to say.

It's also a great way to hear your leads' phrasings. It can tell you what to let resonate, what to push, when you're overdoing the reverb, etc.

Great tool. An honest friend with an erasable memory!

3. Wildcard_35

Wildcard_35 Tele-Meister

Yes, I would play through my looper pedal more if it didn't constantly remind me that sometimes I sound like a 14 year old who has just learned his first pentatonic scale. To cut some slack, though, it's usually chords to a song I don't normally play and I tell myself I'm just messing around. Maybe it's a valuable exercise in being kind to myself?

W.L.Weller and Mr powers like this.
  4. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

Yup, truth hurts, but helps in the long run. To me, the looper is the best tool for a guitarist.

The truth still hurts though.:oops:

5. stxrus

stxrus Poster Extraordinaire

There are few better ways to get better than hear yourself on playback. I wish I had more time with my Ditto+.
    As RoscoeElegante said, “An honest friend with an erasable memory!”

Wildcard_35 likes this.
  6. dented

dented Doctor of Teleocity

Heck it took me a while just to use the looper properly. I have a RP1000 and I play along. Then I have this bad habit of trying to sound too busy with the backing track. Woof. Barf.

7. Mr powers

Mr powers Tele-Meister

I record a simple 1, 4 5 blues progression and then I play that back with my dito.
    The challenge for me is to play over those changes.
    I don't record the lead.
    I can hear what's working and what's sucking in real time.

SRHmusic likes this.
  8. eddiewagner

eddiewagner Poster Extraordinaire

And when you think you got it down, play live with it. You will cry

kennl, Mr powers and The Angle like this.
  9. stxrus

stxrus Poster Extraordinaire

I’ll lay down a backing track and layer it with whatever I want to work on. It can be brutal but I can really judge my progress or lack of

Mr powers likes this.
  10. JSMac

JSMac Tele-Holic

A few short sessions with my Ditto Looper scared the hell out out of me. Now I'm afraid to even plug it in.

Mr powers likes this.
  11. glenlivet

glenlivet Tele-Afflicted

Yep...loopers are mean. They show no mercy. Just getting the timing of starting / stopping the loop can break you.
    Then they remind you of why you should spend some more quality time with a metronome.

Wildcard_35, W.L.Weller and Mr powers like this.
  12. RoscoeElegante

RoscoeElegante Friend of Leo's

I've tried that, both for practicing and recording. But I keep hearing the damn metronome, and listening to it too much to check if I can hear it. And even watching the mechanical one/digital image. I have to close my eyes to get the rhythm right!

So a looper is right for me, especially since my robot drummer smoked his own batteries and ran off with my imaginary groupies. (All 1/64th's of them.)

Wildcard_35 and Mr powers like this.
  13. beninma

beninma Friend of Leo's

When I started taking lessons in 2017 my instructor blew me away with the simple Ditto.

I have pretty much been using a looper every day for practice every since and it's helped a lot. For a long time my setup was a Beat Buddy Mini into a Ditto. I could start the beat buddy and use that to help lock me down to the beat as I recorded my first loop.

Last year I got an RC-10r and sold the BBM. I kept the ditto just as an extra tool to have around. Usually I do play a drum rhythm + loop in sync on my RC-10r. Recently I was trying to use it with no rhythm and I couldn't nail the loop.. weird. Turns out it does something odd with when it ends, like even when you have the rhythm section turned off it is keeping an internal tempo and doesn't necessarily agree with you.

I just plugged in my simple ditto.. at least it is honest. I didn't really have any trouble getting in sync without any metronome/drums, so I guess I've gotten better... but then there is WHAT are you going to play over those changes?

Mr powers likes this.
  14. mystichands

mystichands TDPRI Member

Great thread. Yeah the best way to see how good you really are is to use a ditto, or any other simple looper. I got a ditto the first year they came out. Prior to that, I’d record a rhythm track on my old Tascam 4 track cassette, rewind it, put headphones on, and play along. If I was in the groove, I would try to get all four tracks down. Anyway, listening back, I could hear where my rhythm was off, leads were off, all of it. Occasionally I would get things right. But more often than not, I would just record over the crap, and eventually it helped me with my timing, tuning, etc. But still these days, I like to use the Boss RC1, simple enough to use, but really helps me to stay focused on whatever it is I happen to be playing.

Mr powers likes this.
  15. mystichands

mystichands TDPRI Member

Lmao! I totally get what you’re saying. I can play great guitar when all the stars are aligned in perfect harmony. And I can also play like I did when I was ten, horribly banging out the riff to “I cant get no, I can’t get no, satisfaction “ the first Stones song I figured out in 1964.

16. ce24

ce24 Poster Extraordinaire

I love my jamman. I use the original Trio just to loop some drums.... Then add a rhythm chord... Save them then play over it. Ezpz sounds good enough to busk with actually.

Mr powers likes this.
  17. mystichands

mystichands TDPRI Member

Yeah I’ve been there a lot. Tons of good guitars and pedals, my favorite Fender old Hot Rod Deluxe and then I start looping. Half of the time, I love how I’m playing, and think “ I’ve played so long, no wonder I sound so good.” Then other days I sound so ****ty that I think, “ Good lord, how can I have played for so long and still be this bad?” Who am I trying to fool? But it’s still fun, I will always play.

18. mystichands

mystichands TDPRI Member

I wanted one of those jam man pedals but instead got this thing called the Beat Buddy. To me, it’s useless and a pain to play with. Why? Because I got it thinking I could loop with my ditto or boss. In reality, I can’t sync the drum machine with my loops.

Mr powers likes this.
  19. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Yes, it's like a metronome with a chord sequence. But it will make you better!

Mr powers likes this.
  20. Joshiquad

Joshiquad Tele-Meister

The truth may differ from what you want it to be, but knowing it is infinitely better than believing something else.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.