"The Ugliest Musical Instrument"

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Slap Axe, Jul 2, 2020.

1. Slap Axe

Slap Axe Tele-Meister

I don't know if anyone has posted this video yet, my apologies if so. It was just put out earlier this month. I stumbled across it today and thought it was an interesting take on the tele.

I caught Robben live for the first time a few years ago at the Egyptian Theater in Park City, Utah. It was an unforgettable evening for a variety of reasons. The white-knuckle midwinter drive up the canyon from my house in Salt Lake City was certainly one for the books. I drove my all wheel drive Subaru up with a few friends and we couldn't even make out the painted lines separating the lanes as the snow was pounding down and stacking up so fast, but with those guys spotting my lane drift and traffic for me, we pulled it off.

I knew Robben was a 335 guy and hadn't been keeping up with his current rig, so that's what I was expecting him to be playing. Upon entering the venue, I was pleasantly surprised to see the stage and what appeared to be an all tele attack for the night. He had two telecasters on stage and that was it. That's exactly what it ended up being. He came out, picked up a tele, and proceeded to heat up our cold bones and blow the doors down all night. It was LOUD! I really wasn't expecting a tele blues blowout, but that's what we got and it was awesome.

I believe he played the same blonde '60 that he shows off and talks about in the video for the entire show. He had a brown tele as a backup and only played it on one song towards the very end of the show. Anyway, it was a killer show, that blonde '60 sounded great and if you stick with the video, he plays another tele towards the end for a minute. Cool interview.

LAPlayer likes this.
  2. kennl

kennl Tele-Afflicted

I saw him in the '80's in a trio setting, and the Dumble was LOUD. Played a Fender Esprit and Tele.

3. LAPlayer

LAPlayer Tele-Meister

Nice video. Thanks for sharing.

4. darkwaters

darkwaters Tele-Afflicted

Excellent!

And I love his comments on the Big Three's first 2 albums.

5. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

Yeah, in the 80s he used to play the Esprit with the sticker of the bull taking a dump.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.