The two most entertaining & depressing movies...

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by getbent, Jun 8, 2021.

1. Lawdawg

Lawdawg Tele-Afflicted

Disney's Robin Hood is such an underrated classic, and with apologies to Eroll Flynn, the best screen adaptation of Robin Hood. There's a melancholic sweetness that underlies the entire movie that is very unusual for a Disney film, and the music is incredible. Here's a cool cover of Not in Nottingham by Los Lobos

getbent, drewg and IanMoss like this.
  2. jondanger

jondanger Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Jacob’s Ladder, Requiem for a Dream, and Happiness, all mentioned here, really fit the bill. The only one I have watched more than once is Jacob’s Ladder.

I feel like it’s important to have a favorite song/movie/book as kind of a centering reference point for my life.

Song: Jackie Wilson Said
    Movie: Jacob’s Ladder
    Book: Tenth of December

getbent likes this.
  3. staxman

staxman Tele-Afflicted

Full Metal Jacket--Makes me question myself about the parts that "entertain me." Read the book that inspired the movie, The Short-Timers by Gustav Hasford, if you can find it--even more violent and heartless.
    Trainspotting--British black comedy about drug depravity with no redeeming value--classic cult film.

4. Greenmachine

Greenmachine Tele-Holic

The Road.

I will never watch it again.

Fendereedo and getbent like this.
  5. gkterry

gkterry Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

The Deer Hunter. It threw me into a depressed funk that went on for many, many months. In fact, I don't think I have ever totally recovered from seeing it.

staxman, Fendereedo and getbent like this.
  6. raito

raito Poster Extraordinaire

One from my film class. An extremely well made film.

A different Requiem. One for a Heavyweight. Both the film and TV versions.

7. aging_rocker

aging_rocker Friend of Leo's

Adult Life Skills.

It's an emotional roller-coaster of a movie, laughs, tears, and sadness.

And if you only know Jodie Whittaker from Dr Who, a revelation.

getbent likes this.
  8. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

this is this. this is not something else.

great movie, incredibly tragic, sad and depressing.

fact: the actor who played Fredo in the Godfather, and a star in this film was suffering from terminal cancer, they had to shoot his scenes first because his health was so bad. The producers were going to fire him but meryl streep, deniro and cimino all said they would quit if they did... deniro paid for cazale's insurance for the film... cazale and meryl streep were significant others and deeply in love... his death broke streep's heart.

9. Ed Driscoll

Ed Driscoll Tele-Afflicted

Happiness I saw in the theater when it first ran, and The Ice Storm I've only seen on DVD (but I went and bought the DVD afterwards). I've seen the latter a few times, and it sums up middle class American life in the post-sexual revolution 1970s remarkably well, even down to the background metaphors of the Watergate hearings, and the commuter train owned by the bankrupt Penn Central Railroad that Tobey Maguire rides commuting to his boarding school.

My favorite really entertaining and super-depressing film is Stanley Kubrick's 1975 epic, Barry Lyndon, which, like most Kubrick films, greatly rewards repeated viewings.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2021
    getbent likes this.
  10. edvard

edvard Friend of Leo's

River's Edge.
    Seems funny and a little embarassing to say it now, because it's a bit of a goof of a movie really, but it affected me a bit when I was a teenager. Everybody in that movie could have been my friends in High School if I'd lived a parallel life in another dimension. As things played out in my hometown after I left and I was kept up to date on the news by friends, I kept flashing back to that movie, realizing that teenagers in general have an incredible capacity to do the dad-gum stupidest and horrifying things with absolutely no awareness of consequences at all, until a certain maturity sets in a few years later. There are reasons I've never gone back to my hometown, and reasons I will never go to a class reunion, and reasons I will never watch that film again, and too many of them cross over where they shouldn't.

Man Bites Dog.
    When you grow up and realize that, just like satire, entertainment can be more real than reality. Yes, it's a movie. Yes, it's funny in spots and more or less disturbing all the way around. But good golly miss Molly, there are actual people just like that doing the same things, they just don't have a documentary crew following them around. Which is a bit unsettling. I don't need to watch this film to remind me of that fact over again.

11. bromdenlong

bromdenlong Tele-Meister

"Remains of the Day" with Emma Thompson and Anthony Hopkins.

Fendereedo, getbent and aging_rocker like this.
  12. thunderbyrd

thunderbyrd Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

i have come, over the years, to greatly dislike most movies set in a teenage milieu. and it's because so few of them reflect anything like my own teen experience. River's Edge is an exception. most teen movies have a whole little cast of mean girls and jocks and stoners and gothy weirdos and blah blah bullspit. my high school was rich farmers and tenant farmers and basic, all around nobodys. basketball facism and waste. i doubt i'll ever see a movie like that unless i make it myself.

another really fine movie about teenagers that gets out of that pattern is It Follows.

13. Lawdawg

Lawdawg Tele-Afflicted

I think what most teen movies get wrong is that they portray multiple mutually-exclusive cliques, and maybe a protagonist that 'doesn't fit in' with any of them. In reality (at least for me), while teen cliques were very real, there was a lot of overlap and most kids moved within multiple groups. A couple of movies that actually did a great job nailing this were Dazed and Confused and Say Anything.

14. Cali Dude

Cali Dude Tele-Afflicted

+1 on Schindler's list and Sophie's choice.

15. bender66

bender66 Poster Extraordinaire

Took a date to see Happiness in the theater. I knew her well enough to know her tastes.

I need to re watch Jacobs Ladder. Requiem too.

getbent likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.