The TS9 and the continuing education of BluesHolyMan...

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by bluesholyman, May 14, 2019.

1. Random1643

Random1643 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Good thread! I'm learning stuff!

Jim622 and bluesholyman like this.
  2. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Poster Extraordinaire

It IS all about the amp... ok, and the player and the band (2 guitar players?) My Supers had 2 12” greenbacks in each (i know its blasphemy but I just liked them better). The TS-9 was very tight and thumpy and cut like a laser through our cocophonous mayley. With the right amp, (say, a Bassman) YOU NEED that bass to roll off and the mids to sweeten otherwise its a flubby, farting mess, especially through a Super with the fragile, over doped, 10” Jensens. Remember when the TS came out, the average stage amp was 80-100 watts, most with tons of headroom and bands were loud! Thats the world they are designed for. (Its why a TS sounds so awful on my current rig).

A Bassman, oh hell yeah, a TS-9 or 808 will make it a screaming monster on stage. I can understand the OP’s “oh, so this is what the hype is about”, mic drop moment.

Randomtele1643, please try a Rat set to med gain (thats WAY down on a Rat) after your TS-9 set for hair/boosting duties through that Bassman, you can thank me later.
    Boosting a Rat with my TS-9 was my 80% lead tone for about 13 years. I still miss “leaning into” that sound.

3. schenkadere

schenkadere Friend of Leo's

Curious what settings you consider "hair/boosting"? I've been experimenting with my TS style pedal into my tube combo. I've been messing with the gain levels with the volume cranked and I've been coming up with about 9 o'clock on the gain the best...a bit more hair before it gets oversaturated.

4. beninma

beninma Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

We're arguing in agreement. Only thing left I have to add is Tube Screamers are supposed to have a tone pot that has a non-linear setup where most of the adjustment range is in the middle of the pot. It is more sensitive around noon and less sensitive near the extremes. So in actuality we do run it further from "noon" than we think. I run mine around 1-2 o'clock. The roll offs are pretty complicated anyway given the # of gain stages and where the different filters are located. The overall signals been boosted a lot earlier in the circuit so when you roll off and then boost it again with the tone control there's a lot of signal left.

I tried a lot of other stuff first, perhaps because I picked up some derisive attitudes towards the TS reading stuff online. It just does stuff right with my amp. I need the bass roll off. An OCD by comparison is super flubby on my amp unless it's used with 0 gain. The Klon/Klones are way more "honky" than the TS with the way their tone control works with my amp. I think a Timmy might work for me. But as long as I keep the tone knob in the right place the TS just works.. almost all combinations of positions of the Balance & Gain knobs work really well. Definitely was a "Eureka" moment for me.

5. kookaburra

kookaburra Tele-Afflicted

Completely understand!

6. cousinpaul

cousinpaul Friend of Leo's

Tweed Bassman or BF/SF? I used a TS-9> '59 Bassman RI back in the 90's. I wasn't crazy about the speakers in the '59 RI and thought they were kind of hard sounding at the levels I had to play at. Also there was an upper mid emphasis that bugged me. The TS-9 seemed to help me get more of what I wanted from the rig. I'm mostly using an SD-1 or Blues Breaker v1 into a Proluxe these days. The SD-1's HP filter is dropped to around 500hz (6k8 resistor for R6).

Last edited: May 16, 2019
  7. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire

I tried the TS-9 many times into all my amps, different guitars.... always too middy for me. The best application was strat and deluxe reverb, but still preferred others so I sold it.

8. Grateful Ape

Grateful Ape Tele-Holic

I'm in complete agreement. Except for the bit about always being able to hear oneself (but I'm working on that).

At home, I have a selection of drive pedals - Timmy, BB comp, etc. Live, I use a Mooer clone of a RAT and a Kokko TS clone (depending on the amp). Maybe my OD3. And the louder I have to go, the less gain I need.

9. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Poster Extraordinaire

I had two BF Super Reverbs, so when we got loud, it really was pretty loud. So it varied. It usually went something like this:
    Tone around noon 1:00 oclock,
    Volume level all the way up,
    Drive rolled up until a little over unity volume (for boosting the Rat). It was not Stevie Ray dirty, it was cleaner aggressive strat country type tone,
    Lots of guitar volume knob control even when the crunchy Rat was on.

The TS is very much a live gig pedal. I can imagine it disappoints very much in the bedroom..:p I can understand peoples frustrations..

Last edited: May 16, 2019
  10. DeVilleDude

DeVilleDude Tele-Holic

^^ The truth right here...same for many popular pedals. Thankfully, along came a huge surge in drive pedals that DO sound great in lower volume situations.

11. wildschwein

wildschwein Tele-Afflicted

A TS after a Big Muff is a dream tone for leads. A TS also provides a massive volume boost in front of a Twin.

12. schenkadere

schenkadere Friend of Leo's

Thanks. When I boost the saturated Randall with the TS set similar to yours it tightens up a bit and adds a touch more gain. It’s a pretty high gain amp. It sounds really good. Guess I’m on the right path.

13. lineboat

lineboat Friend of Leo's

I agree with this 110%. Those little things we sit and totally nerd out over trying to dial in and get just perfect at home, well, it doesn’t seem to matter much when it’s in a mix. Nobody really hears it, and nobody else really seems to care. All they hear is clean or dirty, and way too loud.

dougstrum likes this.
  14. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

In addition to the amp design, how loud you have it, and how saturated you want the distortion are also tremendous factors as to whether
    a particular dirt pedal or stack of dirt pedals will get you to your aural promised land. I can imagine with a single rig that one dirt pedal sounds
    better at bedroom volumes while another sounds better at gig volumes....(if you're real picky, that is). For me, I am interested in pedals that sound
    great at gig volumes. Once I have those I can dial in tones that are perfectly adequate for practicing at home. (Most of the time when I'm practicing
    I don't even plug in at all, or I play perfectly clean.)

dougstrum likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.