The truth about olive oil for our telecaster

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Moniyaw, May 23, 2019.

1. Stu Cazz

Stu Cazz TDPRI Member

As long you use cold pressed extra virgin from Baena, a village in the province of Cordoba, I'm fine with it. Though I would recomend to use it for your food!
    I would use mineral oil. And yeah, I am andalusian, haha!

Seriosly try that stuff, best olive oil worldwide!

2. Mexitele Blues

Mexitele Blues Tele-Holic

It works for him. Why do you need to belittle his "mindset" or "logic"? Maybe you feel threatened that "your way" isn't the only way?

3. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

You mean, ya mean. . . its NOT?? OMG?? what now....

I'm just curious about what is going on in the head..., and it's not targeted at HIM. It's a question posed at anyone that would slap some goo on their guitar that is not Certified Guitar Goo.. because oiling a neck does nothing other than turn the wood darker... so any Oil will do it. so why not use one intended for the application instead of venturing into unchartered waters?

I ask the same every time this Oil quandary comes up...

What makes someone think, "I know, since oiling the fingerboard really does nothing meaningful, I'll gamble with some unknown goo just to see what happens..." ya know, like using Acetone to clean your Nitro finished guitars.. :eek: Oh... Don't.. and that's my way, and its the best way... If ya don't believe me, go try it... (really, don't) :p

rk

Mexitele Blues likes this.
  4. Mexitele Blues

You were right there, twice, in that post, yet still didn't make it over the hump. Where did medieval lutists source their Dunlop Brand Certified Guitar Goo?

Reminds of a passage from Zen and the art of motorcycle maintenance where the narrator's friend believes a handlebar shim cut from a beer can will defile his fine BMW bike. I notice a trend of fealty toward marketing and corporations among the older generation on this forum and I just don't understand the appeal.

5. Cheap guitar guy

Cheap guitar guy Tele-Meister

"Fealty" nice.

6. suave eddie

suave eddie Tele-Afflicted

I would rather believe the urban myth that WD 40 is actually made of fish oil. Now that would really make your fingerboard smell good.

DekeDog likes this.
  7. Solrac Kai

Solrac Kai Tele-Holic

I'd add a bit of coarse sea salt too

8. Wildcard_35

Wildcard_35 Tele-Meister

Maybe we should email Enrico Palazzo while we're at it.

9. Ronkirn

got me there.. I guess the did use Olive Oil.. but... Have ya seen a Medieval Lute these days?? :p

r

SecretSquirrel likes this.
  10. Mexitele Blues

I wouldn't go near one if I had, fretboard would be too rancid!

rze99 likes this.
  11. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Objections from Spain in 5, 4, 3, 2...

12. hellopike

hellopike Tele-Afflicted

But is olive oil, or coconut oil, or any of these different options really “uncharted waters” or “unknown goo”?

Clearly there are people who have been using these items for their fretboards for extended periods of time with no issues, so it’s notbreally like acetone on nitro at all. That will immediately yield negative results and it’s known.

I’ll state my opinion again on the subject- if oiling a rosewood fretboard only needs to be done seldomly if at all, and only requires the tiniest drop of oil to complete its task, which is mostly wiped away in the process, do you really think it will matter what type of oil is used? Our hands will add more oil to the surface of the fretboard over the lifetime of the guitar than that. And the oil from our skin could be considered animal based, really.

And to be fair that’s not to say I wouldn’t use mineral oil, but the last time I had to oil a rosewood board was after buying an abused beater from CL. And it was the first time I had a guitar with rosewood, so I don’t have mineral oil hanging around. But you know what I did have? Sesame oil. So I used it because it was handy. And the guitar has bore no ill effects since I’m regards to the condition of the fretboard. That was about 3 years ago, and I haven’t felt the need to re-moisturize since because it doesn’t look bad. Doesn’t feel bad, doesn’t smell bad either.

DekeDog and rze99 like this.
  13. Ronkirn

here's the thing with organics (food products) .. when they go rancid, they do so via the presence of bacteria, joining the fun with you and feasting at your Rosewood table...but.... since some bacteria is good.... all you have to do is put up a little post-it not saying Good Bacteria Only... The bad bacteria, seeing the note, will move on to some LP player's guitar that's been soaking in a food product for a few hours...

That may work, but chances are the bacteria cannot read English or Habla Espanol . . if that's the case.. you're stuck with illiterate bacteria moving in...

Now.. even without the food products, bacteria will move in on the Rosewood, because, after all, wood is organic too... and the little boogers can take a chomp or so out of the wood too.., but.... only a small % of the wood's makeup is edible... All of the Food Stuff is edible, so a lot more of the bacteria will move in.... and keep on coming... sending out invites and all of a sudden you're overwhelmed...

As the bacteria are sitting there eating your guitar with the delicious Olive oil topping, they are shi*t**g, Farting, Belching, Puking, spitting' their chaw.. and then wallowing in their filth :eek:... they're nasty little farts.... but.. Now it's your turn to use the rosewood :p.... I mean, after all all it was was a little bacteria .. right?? :D

Now if ya use Mineral Oil.. or a product intended for a guitar, the squad of Bacteria on a Recon mission will report back to HQ, "Gotta move on "Gunny". . . nuthin to eat here."

r

DHart, Moriarty, AAT65 and 1 other person like this.
  14. dougstrum

dougstrum Tele-Afflicted

My fret boards are conditioned with sunscreen, handcream and sweat.

Occasionally the whole guitar gets cleaned with soap and water.

15. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Conditioning wood is just that, restorative conditioning. (See number) people have said over and over that they like the feel and look of maintained rosewood. That is the benefit. We have been saying this the entire thread.

"Rosewood is nothing but richly hued timbers, often brownish with darker veining but found in many different hues. All genuine rosewoods belong to the genus Dalbergia.

How to polish the rosewood in the best possible way -

1. Use of penetrating oils - Penetrating oils are used for providing the soft feel to the wood. Penetrating oils allow the wood to breathe and stay pliable, feeding the wood what it needs to maintain its active feel.
    2. Rosewood comes with fine polished finish from the installation in musical instruments. Still you can apply the oils to neck with the cotton cloth. Rubb the cotton cloth till it gets luster back.
    3. Best way to polish rosewood is in the direction of the grains. Wrap the cotton cloth on your finger & polish vigorously in the direction of the grain.
    I hope you now 'learnt' how to polish the rosewood of your guitar."

-Nicholes Ammons,

Long after this thread is a zombie, I will still be make that short leap of logic, and still using rosewood oil on my solid rosewood neck.

Peace ~Fletch.

16. Cheap guitar guy

Cheap guitar guy Tele-Meister

This thread may never end. F-One from music nomad. Read what is in it. Read what is does and doesn't do. Buy a bottle, you won't be disappointed or worried and it will last until your dead and you can leave the rest of the bottle to your kids.

17. DrPepper

DrPepper Tele-Afflicted

I'm with Dr Esselstyn on this... "oil is oil, NOOOO OIL!!!"
    Dr Greger... "the fat you eat is the fat you wear"

Olive oil is hygroscopic, it will go rancid in due time... smelly tele...

18. DrPepper

DrPepper Tele-Afflicted

Oil a guitar neck, that depends where you are sticking it, Me, there is enough oil in my skin for my fretboard...

19. SecretSquirrel

SecretSquirrel Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

:eek: From now on I'm cleaning my fretboard with Lysol™!!

20. DrPepper

DrPepper Tele-Afflicted

Oh, cleaning a rosewwood fretboard... A dampened microfiber cloth and elbow grease...

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.