The truth about olive oil for our telecaster

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Moniyaw, May 23, 2019.

1. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Warmoth has no comment on proper care of Warmoth necks.

But Spuds Mackenzie's brother spike has something to say!

2. warrent

warrent Friend of Leo's

So the consensus seems to be that using any oil such as mineral oil or even olive oil causes no harm to the fretboard. Even Warmoth ends with "I have noticed no ill effects at all with any of mine thus far..."

And yet no one has posted any proven benefit from oiling the fretboard or any reason to actually oil the fretboard. So why waste the money and time doing it?

3. Solrac Kai

Solrac Kai Tele-Holic

1 minute to apply and wipe off, with a product you already have in your house hold is not really a waste of time or money.

Wildcard_35 and DFB1 like this.
  4. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

A-and you can use a slice of eggplant or zucchini to do the rubbin, then toss it on the grill.

5. Cheap guitar guy

Cheap guitar guy Tele-Meister

I read somewhere that some people use split open walnut shells.

6. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Who wants to email All Parts, Fender, Musicraft?;)

7. BigDaddyLH

A-and...

[​IMG]

Wildcard_35 likes this.
  8. Skydog1010

Skydog1010 Tele-Afflicted Platinum Supporter

where those "fat" plants?? - would be great to harvest for the current keto crowd. Just trying to be funny, no ill will intended. Is there really fat in plants?

9. BigDaddyLH

SoOOoo... we accept that oil contains ... oil. So what exactly is vegetable oil? Protein? Sugar? Starch? Or is it...

telemnemonics, AAT65 and Skydog1010 like this.
  10. Skydog1010

I have not read all the posts, (so I am assuming this has already been noted) but there are a healthy handful of different types of rosewood, and they react differently to different chemicals. I started using Ballistol a wood leather metal cleaner, preservative and of course lubricant. A product from Germany I became accustomed to using in another hobby I had for about 50 years. Stuff worked great till one time it like almost melted a rosewood neck on a squier SE strat..since then I keep it away from my guitars. The positive net affect is I have a naturally semi scalloped neck on a cheap partscaster.

11. Skydog1010

i know cows and hogs are genius machines for turning plants into fat - I didn't categorically class oil as fat, though most all fats can be turned into oil. Obviously - or maybe obliviously (you choose) I'm confused...heck; I was using a "universal" synthetic from Germany on a guitar neck (till it virtually melted a little).

12. BigDaddyLH

TDPRI, so educational! Vegetable oil is vegetable fat: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vegetable_oil

Skydog1010 likes this.
  13. Skydog1010

I have heard of folks doing this to try to overcome fret spurs (swell the fingerboard)...personally if you have spurs it's time to get out the files and polish the little buggers into submission or get a new neck and crank up the humidifier

14. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

I'm still waiting for someone to tell me the unfits of using anything other than oils intended for a guitar... and/or the original, Mineral Oil...

r

MilwMark likes this.
  15. Gary in Boston

Gary in Boston Friend of Leo's

Olive Oil is a food

Most foods eventually spoil, except honey and you wouldn't want to put that on your fret board.

Oddly, however if you look up how to make furniture lemon oil polish etc. the recipe is

Vinegar - Olive Oil - Lemon Juice ...................... all foods and all edible.

Maybe the acid in the vinegar kills the food bacteria?

Any who..... i've got an old bottle of fretboard oil from Martin I think it's so old the label has long since dissolved off so I don't know what it is made of.

I'm sure it's not expensive and it last forever so.......

Gary

16. 4pickupguy

I PM'd a friend of mine from when I was in LINT, Luthiers Interactive of North Texas. He is the best inlay artist I have ever seen. Unimaginably beautiful, understated work. A true artisan. I told him about the thread and asked what he would recommend for cleaning/conditioning a rosewood or ebony fret board. He asked before or after frets installed? I explained that these were mostly players, not builders and he said what he does with a new fret board, (which everything he sells has ebony or rosewood fret boards) he uses a cheap homemade uber fine scraper as a final finish prior to inlay work, performs inlay & marker work, installs frets. The very last he does prior to final strings and delivery is to blow the body out, clean "his paw prints off", wipe the fret board down with denatured alcohol and a clean cloth diaper to clean and open grain and then apply a Dalbergia oil. What is a dalbergia oil? He said, its a family of trees, I use bore oil from the band shop down the road, but Guitar Center sells the same stuff. me:eek:h, yes bore oil.

I asked him he would recommend the following ( his answer next to each):

1. mineral oil (Charles Fox swears by it)
    2. lemon oil (yeah, thats mineral oil with lemons see above)
    3. Olive Oil ( lmfao!!! oh, are you serious? no.)
    4. 3 in Oil (god no. and no motor oil, Diesel, jet fuel, kerosene or gasoline)
    5. rosewood oil (bore oil, yes)
    6. Vegetable oil (???? no, and no Crisco, lard, olestra or Pam lol)
    7. linseed oil (i dont know, maybe, would have look into it first)
    8. Tru oil (if you mean Danish oil, no)
    9. Orange oil (sounds acidic)
    I would consider Teak oil as well but have never tried it.
    Any warnings? Yes, some Fender fret boards I have seen, well, it aint far to the glue line ;)
    Thanks Rob!!

Skydog1010 and telemnemonics like this.
  17. psykobilly

psykobilly Tele-Meister

Lemon oil

18. FrontPU

FrontPU Tele-Holic

I'd vote for Bore Oil.
    I don't recommend any oil contain Vitamin E.
    VE is good for your skin and hair but retards the crystallization of wood and finish and collect and keep grit/dust rather than moisture.

4pickupguy likes this.
  19. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

again... why? what would Clarinet cork grease do for a guitar that something like a Dunlop product wouldn't? Or mineral Oil.. and remember Mineral oil was the "go to" oil for about every one prior to the introduction go purpose designed oils for the guitars fingerboards... it still works which is why its the base component in those purpose designed products.

I wanna know what kind of mind-set allows for that kind of logic ...

rk

20. 4pickupguy

I have not seen cork grease suggested yet because bore oil is not grease nor used on the cork joints of a woodwind instrument. Bore oil is specifically designed to maintain the wood of woodwinds, instruments made of rosewood, blackwood, cocobolo, boxwood etc....
    It makes perfect sense to me to use rosewood oil or the like to maintain rosewood instruments. Even if it doesn’t come in a Dunlop branded bottle. Its not a mindset so much as it is a very short leap of logic.

Last edited: May 29, 2019
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.