1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

The Truth about Expensive Studio Gear

Discussion in 'Recording In Progress' started by Thin white duke, Aug 6, 2020.

1. codamedia

codamedia Poster Extraordinaire

In the past, mic pre's were part of the console. You had 8, 16, 24, 32 of them depending on the size of the board. This is what separated one board from another... Neve, SSL, API, EMI... and on a more affordable side Soundcraft, Tascam, Fostex, etc... etc... You couldn't really record without a console, so you naturally had a number of mic pre's at your fingertips.

Today's home/project recording is all "interface > DAW".... and although the interface may have a mic pre, it's usually average at best. It's clean and it's probably pretty accurate, but not much flavor/color! Adding a few (as many as are needed) quality pre's to your setup is worth it.

Just my 2 cents....

FortyEight likes this.
  2. SacDAve

SacDAve Poster Extraordinaire

I'm anything but a prude but off color language was a bit much. Someone that has to swear to get their point across loses all credibility with me on any social media.

3. SacDAve

SacDAve Poster Extraordinaire

I agree with some of what he said from my personal experience trust me I suck at home recording. One thing I noticed when I bought and Universal Audio Apollo interface my sound quality went up quite a bit very noticeable. The apollo comes with 6 UA, UA plugins are exceptionally good but way to much $$$$. Now I'm spending more time learning on how to use plugins correctly I can see the importance. Also the Apollo comes with a console I just started watching videos on what it can do and how to use it I seeing this is the key to getting better sound. Still have a long way to go But having Fun

Attached Files:

4. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

heres is a trick question for you .......
    would you rather have a DDL , Reverb, Phaser, Flanger , doubler , chorus? and why ?

5. Digital Larry

Digital Larry Friend of Leo's

Even going back to my PortaStudio days, the sound quality was rarely the worst aspect of my recordings.

I wasn't expecting to like what this guy said based on some of the other comments, but I was OK with it. Yeah I get tweaked about swearing, esp. since culturally (e.g. video game stuff on YT that my kids watch) there's no bar left it seems. They don't find it shocking. I still do and I will always... not subject to rational analysis.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.