The Truth about Expensive Studio Gear

Discussion in 'Recording In Progress' started by Thin white duke, Aug 6, 2020.

1. Thin white duke

Thin white duke Friend of Leo's

Very interesting video.....

2. Fretting out

Fretting out Poster Extraordinaire

A lot of people don’t but I dig Glenn

Last edited: Aug 6, 2020
    stinkey, kLyon, Deeve and 2 others like this.
  3. Thin white duke

The very few videos that i've watched by Glenn i always agreed with him.....

4. eddiewagner

eddiewagner Poster Extraordinaire

He is 100% right

5. Thin white duke

I'm not into home recording, i just started actually so i know almost nothing about it but i believe in what he says....

Deeve and Fretting out like this.
  6. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

So much truth in that video. I did an entire album with Cakewalk (free download), and a cheap single-input M-Audio interface at my PC for guitar and bass. I recorded the drums at my friend's house with a Tascam 2-input digital recorder (one kick drum mic, one overhead mic) that cost around $300. The vocalist recorded at his house with Cakewalk and a USB mic. I did the mix. All of the guitar sounds were amp simulator plugins that came free with Cakewalk.

https://unchartedwaters777.bandcamp.com/releases

7. Thin white duke

That's great, you can save a lot of money if you know how to use these software well....

mojek and 3-Chord-Genius like this.
  8. swervinbob

swervinbob Tele-Holic

I don't really get into metal that much, but Glenn is entertaining and knows how to get the most out of what he's got.

PhredE and Deeve like this.
  9. mikestearns

mikestearns Tele-Meister

I can't watch the video right now, but at least with my experiences so far - I know that buying more plug-ins and stuff hasn't gotten me the same improvements in sound as learning more techniques and working on more recordings has. Its like anything else. a good tool helps, but you have to know how to use it.

trxx, mojek, Ed Driscoll and 3 others like this.
  10. ReverendRevolver

ReverendRevolver Tele-Afflicted

Ironically, I just started looking at recording stuff. This verifies what I'd assumed.

(I last recorded using a 4 input digital thing with one busted input that my dad and I threw in halfsys on from Ebay like 15 years ago...)

From what I'm seeing, you NEED very little. Mic, amp, guitar, Interface, computer, DAW. Anyone who gigs has the first 3. Most people have a computer. The DAW could be a free one or come bundled with the interface.

So, the interface is really the only thing most people need to get started.

(Then headphones and studio monitors allegedly are needed. I think I could survive without good headphones, the monitors seem more important.)

Unfortunately for me, I've never had to mic my amps with my microphones. They've always been plenty loud or I used what the soundguy had. Looks like I shoulda picked up that Sennheiser 609 back when gigging was a thing...

StrangerNY and pugnax like this.
  11. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

In spite of what people may tell you, many of these so-called inadequacies imposed by cheap gear can in fact be fixed in the mixing process.

EQ is your friend, and no, you don't have to be subtle with it. I've heard silly rules like "never adjust more than such and such at a time", etc. Ignore all that stuff, and do what sounds good.

When Queen recorded Bohemian Rhapsody, the tape had been run through the machine so many times that the oxide coating layer was rubbing off, and they were losing high-end. They compensated by boosting high-end in the EQ during mixing. And that was with high-end studio gear.

PhredE and Blrfl like this.
  12. gregulator450

gregulator450 Tele-Afflicted

anytime you buy an iPad these days gets Garage Band software on it. I have heard some pretty excellent recordings done in Garage Band.

Also, I love Glenn's videos. I don't always agree with him on the taboo subjects, but I would hang with that guy any day that ends in Y.

mojek and telestratosonic like this.
  13. cyclopean

cyclopean Poster Extraordinaire

i stopped watching because i don't like the sound of his voice.

a.francis.1968 and teletail like this.
  14. rand z

rand z Friend of Leo's

10-20 years ago I scheduled winter recording projects at home.

Mostly me playing/recording all instruments.

Occasionally I brought in others for accordion, upright bass, horn/flute and violin.

I had bought a mid line rack compressor, Lexicon reverb unit and mic pre, running it into a simple Zoom 8 track recorder using its digital drums and its built in effects effects.

I used some basic Shure mics and higher end condenser mics.

I miked amps and acoustics guitars, percussion, and rarely went direct except for bass.

Nothing stupendous but, worked out ok.

I prescribe to the idea that because of formats like mp3 (mostly listened to in car systems) and such, it doesnt make a lot of sense to spend big bucks on top of the line equipment... right now.

15. gregulator450

gregulator450 Tele-Afflicted

Listening to this right now. You did a fine job mixing, and the drums sound pretty great too! The songs are really well-written; I am enjoying this listen!

3-Chord-Genius likes this.
  16. Thin white duke

That's it man, so true, we all should remember this everytime we buy a new piece of gear.......

stinkey likes this.
  17. teletail

teletail Tele-Afflicted

I don't like being shouted at.

beyer160 likes this.
  18. beyer160

beyer160 Friend of Leo's

I find Fricker's whole persona to be offputting, I often disagree with him and I think the music he records sounds awful, but he's 100% on the money here- just get out there and do it with whatever you have. I've often used the same example that learning to record music is the same as learning to play an instrument, both require lots of practice.

In 1986, a 4-track cassette recorder that would only record two tracks at a time would cost you $500. Today you can buy a $99 interface and a $60 Reaper license that will kick that 4-track up and down the street until the end of time.

19. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

I didn't watch all of it, but it is a pretty good message... 'use what you have' doesn't mean you can't upgrade but don't think the upgrade is going to make the song.

A great song played on one of those mics that record will beat a not great song in a perfect studio...

I'm not that sensitive to the guy's demeanor, he is just a type... I've played with lots of guys like him... they mean no harm, they just don't think they get heard.

Skully and PhredE like this.
  20. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

He's right. You don't even need studio monitors-- just good headphones. I usually record and mix at night so I have to use headphones, anyway. I get the mix to where it sounds great through my Beyerdynamics, burn a copy to my phone, then play it through the car stereo through my Apple CarPlay interface. If it sounds good on the car stereo I'm happy, because 99% of people are going to listen to the music in three ways-- through some kind of headphone/earbud, through some crap PC/Mac speakers (internal or external), or their car stereo. Very few people ever listen to music through studio monitors.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.