1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

The tortoise pickguard rabbit hole

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by tele_paul, Apr 2, 2021.

1. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Ha, well done. The bottom right is a Spitfire. I think he’d call it ‘crazy 60s burgundy’ but I bought it before he had those names.

The Lake Placid guitar is a modern Duo Sonic, and that’s a EBay special, probably the same type of material you purchased in the OP. Advertised as cellulose.

Top row, left to right: “sanman” tort from eBay, red type (also bought the brown); Decoboom cellulose w/ Streamline routing; Austin shop, advertised as cellulose material.

Middle row, L to R: pre-CBS vintage Mustang tort; modern Fender brown tort, stock on TVL JM; another advertised cellulose tort on eBay.

Bottom row, L to R: StewMac/Rothko & Frost acrylic single ply, cut and polished it myself, Austin shop cellulose, ‘thick’ Spitfire JM guard.

drewg and tele_paul like this.
  2. tele_paul

tele_paul Tele-Meister

The color is fine, I'm not questioning or concerned about that. I was wondering if it is indeed real celluloid, as advertised, or a print.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2021
    drewg likes this.
  3. BorderRadio

I honestly would avoid celluloid if other tort had ‘high swirl quality’, but I can’t even be sure with the cheap stuff. I know Spitfire isn’t cellulose but damn, over 200 bucks now? Decoboom sent me a JM tort celluloid 4-ply guard that warped in the mail (they replaced it). I had a single ply cellulose for LP Junior clone and that warped in the AZ heat. The single ply acrylic from Rothko & Frost is great, and doesn’t warp as easy.

The print thing is usually pretty easy to tell, and it was nailed as ‘not print’ in the original post.

eclecticsynergy, drewg and tele_paul like this.
  4. Telecasters84

Telecasters84 Tele-Meister

“What a load of nonsense!” ;););)

upload_2021-4-2_22-49-34.jpeg

boneyguy, drewg and tele_paul like this.
  5. tele_paul

tele_paul Tele-Meister

I know what you mean about the AZ heat warping things lol. We moved to the Phoenix area a year ago, just in time for the record breaking Summer. This year, as you know, is off to a hot start, at least for me....90s all week! It's like, what happened to Spring??

BorderRadio likes this.
  6. drewg

drewg Tele-Meister

That's a nice combo of colors! I was having a hard time imagining blue and tortoise, but that looks good! What color blue is that? (daphne? sonic?)

7. Telecasters84

Telecasters84 Tele-Meister

Thanks! The color is actually “Surf Pearl”.

drewg likes this.
  8. 61fury

61fury Friend of Leo's

Because I wanted a Jazzmaster PG with no rhythm circuit I didn't have many choices. I ended up hand cutting a sheet from Rothko and Frost, about 80 dollars shipped. Big sheet, I got the 5mm thick one. It appears to be two layers, one a tortlike swirl, the other clear. Or maybe it's a sandwich of clear with a thin film of tortlike material between.

I used an aluminum guard as a template and used doubled sided tape to stick it to the material. Also I screwed it down to the board with pickguard screws

Backed it with white paper so the light areas would be brighter. And I cut a thin aluminum sign to back it that so the paper is less likely to sag into the recesses on the guitar. Also it works as a full shield. I guess I could have just painted the pg shield white.

Edit, one more pic, mounted on the still unfinished guitar ( a Muslady type mutt)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 3, 2021
    tele_paul likes this.
  9. Ronzo

Ronzo Tele-Afflicted

tele_paul likes this.
  10. stxrus

stxrus Poster Extraordinaire

44442E63-1E30-43CF-8FD6-B2C885294B53.jpeg
    Here’s mine. From Warmoth. It’s probably 10 years old.
    There is some minor warping on the upper side. It bothered me for about a week

11. BorderRadio

Haha, that is spring! People come in and after a few years say there are only two seasons, but no, they're there, just not what people expect. I've been in the Phoenix area since 1986. It took me 7 or so years to go outside in the summer. I spent a good ten years working outside year round. It grew on me, and I love the heat blast season. What I don't like is the recent weak summer rainy season--it will probably get worse. The fires lately have been heartbreaking. Anyways, buy your cellulose tort and vinyl records in the winter like I do :D

tele_paul likes this.
  12. Fendereedo

Fendereedo Poster Extraordinaire

I have a tort guard on my Jazzmaster, but don't like them on Tele's, or Strat's.

tele_paul likes this.
  13. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

I like the one you show, but then I like "most" tortoiseshell-style pickguards. I've had it "redder", and "browner", and I like both.
    It's a well known fact that tortoise guards improve tone, sustain, and gas mileage. ;)

tele_paul and Ronzo like this.
  14. 3fngrs

3fngrs Friend of Leo's

Might be heading down this hole myself.

tele_paul and bender66 like this.
  15. DavidP

DavidP Friend of Leo's

Big tort fan here... Thinking of putting one on my CV Thinline, but not sure how it would go with the mahogany body (although anything is better than the stock white pearloid!)

tele_paul likes this.
  16. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

Looks fine to me and the price is actually cheap ( I'm assuming that's USD ).

tele_paul likes this.
  17. bender66

bender66 Poster Extraordinaire

The Mad Cats pg sets are clear with that pattern. The color of the body is visible through the pg.

If you ever get the chance to go into a vintage shop make sure to look over some of those old pgs. You dont see the depth of those old ones on anything current.

Love me some good red/brown cheap faux tort, especially if you get lucky, like it looks like you did. I especially love your on Sherwood Green or blues. Make sure you follow up with images.

tele_paul likes this.
  18. tele_paul

tele_paul Tele-Meister

I also posted in the main Telecaster forum, but figured I'd post it here too this is the pickguard I was talking about. I think it turned out looking pretty good.

Flash off:
    [​IMG]

Flash On:
    [​IMG]

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.