The Tinkerer's Cab - What would you do with the stuff available?

Deadman1

Tele-Meister
Hello. :)

I was cleaning the garage and quite a bit of old random stuff appeared and resurfaced…
I have a whole lot of Plywood and MDF plates left... as well as a whole lot of old Hi-Fi Stuff...

I thought since i have found around 10 different old Speakers... and there is more than enough wood for a DIY cabinet...
I might be able to make a "small" cab out of these..
that's a) loud and b) ideally working with my 75 watts solid state head somehow

I'm not very picky when it comes to sound. I am not looking for "this" or "that" sound, as i use pedals to create my sound mostly.

Now the Do-It-Yourselfer in me wants to make use of the stuff in the best way possible.
I have seen stuff like the PHIL JONES C8 8x5" Cabinet for Bass players.. so i thought... maybe it will sound okay if i do something like that for a guitar cab... like two 8" speakers, two 7" speakers, a 6.5" speaker and a 4.5" speaker - in total 6 speakers - in one cab.
I have to read into the Ohms / Parallel - Series Stuff... anyone know a good calculator?

Maybe you are also tinkerers and have some ideas.

And this is the stuff available

QTYTypeSizeWattsOhm
1​
Guitar Speaker2"1W
8​
1​
Guitar Speaker4.5"8W
8​
1​
Guitar Speaker 6.5"20W
8​
2​
PC Speaker2.5"5W
4​
2​
Car Speaker7"100W
4​
2​
HiFi Speaker8"50W
8​

As you might know, the Problem with the non-Guitar speakers are the frequencies, which might only sound good with something like an amp modeller…
This is some other stuff i have on hand... which might work as a guitar amp modeler?

Amp / EffectWattsOutput
AC 30 Amplug Headphone Amp-Headphone Out
Digitech RP 200 A with Amp Modellers-Amp Out / Headphone Out
Marshall MS-2 modded for external Cab1 WattCab Out / Headphone Out
Solid State Amp Head75 WattsCab Out / Headphone Out

I know the best solution would be to sell off the stuff and get a cheap cab.
but you know... I thought it would be a fun project on a rainy day...

I'm excited to hear your ideas (and opinions)

Cheers :)

Last edited:

Twang-ineer

Tele-Meister
So, I'm with on doing this stuff. It can be a lot of fun, especially the tiny stuff. Heck, one of the more fun cabs that I have is a 3" Eminence Alpha PA driver that I use a large cigar box as an enclosure for. I use the DSP to mess with the EQ and power it with an old Honeytone amp. It can be a bit shrill, but fun none the less! I have an assortment of drivers under 8" that I use a lot at home. I have a 3" showing up today... so that's what I am doing this holiday!

Powdog

Tele-Meister
1660701523547.jpeg

Build an amp! I built this 5E3 Deluxe with stuff I had laying around the shop.