1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

The Timmy Clone thread....which one...

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by bluesholyman, Oct 10, 2020.

1. bluesholyman

bluesholyman Friend of Leo's

Let me first say, I am not advocating the support of circuit thieves and questionable ethics. It is not about that so please let' not go there. This is about making the choice of an alternative of Paul C's Timmy which, from what I can tell, is not made now except for MXR mini pedal.

Non-MXR Timmy's are around $200+ now. I am not a big fan of mini-pedals, so the MXR tiny timmy doesn't appeal to me. If I were to get a clone, which one do you suggest.

On the ridiculous end of the scale is the Vemuram Jan Ray, apparently made of unobtanium and well beyond what I would want to spend. Then there is the Caline Blue Sky which I have heard great things about. Also a few other clones out there as well.

I have even thought perhaps an OD-3 might do the trick, but pretty sure its not "that" close to the timmy, on several levels.

Anyway, looking for suggestions of which clone you think works best.

2. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Poster Extraordinaire

I first 'discovered' TDPRI many years ago when Danelectro had come out with their Timmy clone, The CTO-1 Transparent Overdrive ( and the OCD clone CO-1 Drive)

There were links online to pedal reviews here, and on TGP, and I went crazy reading reviews, and the controversy surrounding, clones, Dano vs. Timmy etc. Got to love TDPRI!

I would buy, use ( and later sell) both of these Dano pedals twice over the next few years...
    My final take ( and I've never used a real Timmy) was that with the Dano Transparent OD, was that even though the pedal had a LOT or range with the controls and a very good sound, it was actually NOT dynamic ( the OD I dialed in did not clean up when turning guitar volume down),
    AND the Control.placement, and hard/sloping switch, on the Danos, though cute, were a PITA!

Bottom line ( for me):
    My Boss Blues Driver, has all the range, transparency, easy Controls, dynamic.

scottser likes this.
  3. naveed211

naveed211 Tele-Afflicted

GGardner likes this.
  4. FenderLover

FenderLover Poster Extraordinaire

For my money, the Caline CP-12 Pure Sky is the ticket. It's a 1:1 build without the diode switch, but maybe you won't need it. I don't. The Bass/Treble work in the clockwise direction like most other tone controls instead of the reverse 'cut' business. I think mine was $39 to my door. I've built a few Timmys this way for others, but for $39 there's no reason to build anything.

5. FenderLover

FenderLover Poster Extraordinaire

Since you mentioned clones, the Dano CTO-1 Transparent Overdrive is not a Timmy clone. Just dive into the circuit and you'll find out right away. You might still like it though. They have very cheap construction. Mine had a crappy Gain pot that acted more like a switch. It was usable with careful adjustment, but I eventually gave it away.

6. High Head Brad

High Head Brad Tele-Meister

Paul C is still making Timmy’s. He’s been selling a few in small batches on Reverb recently.

7. 41144

41144 Tele-Afflicted

+1 that the Caline Pure, Sky is a great clean boost. c.£30

So too is the TC Spark Booster, the full size one that you can also switch between fat, mids and clean. c £50.

ping-ping-clicka likes this.
  8. mkdaws32

mkdaws32 Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

I like the EHX Crayon. There was speculation a while back that it was a Timmy clone, but someone traced the circuit and determined it is almost identical to a BB stomp preamp. It’s in the Timmy ballpark to me and works well with my amp. It is a low to med gain overdrive with bass and treble controls and is quite transparent, although there is a slight mid boost, not unlike a Timmy. Certainly not near as extreme the Tubescreamer mid range hump.

leonard d rock likes this.
  9. KC

KC Friend of Leo's

Amp 11, except that Lovepedal seems to be on some sort of hiatus or possibly out of business? Their website is 404. One side is pretty close to a Timmy -- too close? There was an internet dust-up over this -- but you also have a boost on the other side, based on their COT circuit, that can be used independently or stacked. Fun, versatile pedal, and not expensive when you could buy them.

10. tele-bastard

tele-bastard Friend of Leo's

Pure sky... the blues driver comes close but nowhere near as transparent... the blues driver offers more high-gain as well as low gain

11. richiek65

richiek65 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I have an Xtomp mini, modelling fx pedal. Turned it on yesterday to find it now has a Timmy model. I don't have much to compare it to, except for a Caline Pure Sky that's got some noise issues, but so far it does sound good.

The Xtomp has scores of pedal models (as well as preamps and cab sims) installed, you load each one via an app (only one at a time) and most of them are decent. Some are a bit noisy, esp high gain and fuzzes, but it allows me to get a ball park idea of what a pedal will sound like.

12. MojoTrwall

MojoTrwall Tele-Meister

Build it.

Mark the Moose and Iago like this.
  13. sanfi4u

sanfi4u Tele-Meister

Boss OD-3 has no similarities with Timmy at all. Nevertheless it's a good overdrive.
    The one that's quite close is Lovepedal OD11/Amp11. But they are not easy to find either.

14. tamer_of_banthas

tamer_of_banthas Tele-Holic

just buy a boss blues driver for 65 dollars used no one is going to know the difference. there is absolutely nothing special about the timmy circuit.

15. dlaroe

dlaroe Tele-Meister

I've always been intrigued by the Tim/Timmy pre-dirt bass cut and post-dirt treble cut tone controls; mostly because I've found tone controls on everything else to be a lose/lose compromise.

It may not be special but it's certainly not common.

16. Lies&Distortion

Lies&Distortion Tele-Afflicted

Dang, you are right, the used V1's are stupid expensive now.
    Nothing I need...

17. Pineears

Pineears Tele-Afflicted

OK, I ordered a Pure Sky.

18. Squawker

Squawker Tele-Meister

I added a toggle switch to my Pure Sky to switch between 2 a-side / 1 a-side / asymmetric diodes. But mostly I leave it on the original 2 a-side setting anyway.

leonard d rock likes this.
  19. DougM

DougM Poster Extraordinaire

I love Caline pedals. The Medusa Klon clone and the Pure Sky are two of my favorite drive pedals at any price.

20. bendercaster

bendercaster Tele-Afflicted

I just bought the MXR Timmy and I love it. Yes, it's mini. But you might just have to decide what you dislike less--mini pedals or circuit theives. It's a clever design and is exactly what I was looking for.

KelvinS1965, Lef T, Tim T and 3 others like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.