The thrill is gone...

Fretting out

Doctor of Teleocity
Usually when I post about my Tele it's to gripe about it, maybe that doesn't count as a guitar post. I love my Martin, and my wife has a nice little Taylor 314ce that I gave her about twelve years ago, that she hasn't played in at least ten years, but it's still HERS! I also have an Epiphone Masterbilt that is a pretty good guitar for an inexpensive one. Amps are a DRRI for the Tele, and an AC-90 for the acoustics. Have mics and stands. I am too old to play much now, but I used to love playing.
You’ve just shattered the mystery!!! :eek:

Trenchant63

Tele-Meister
Hey, all. Been an occasional poster; love the forums. I'm a well-aged weekend warrior with more gear than talent. I've been playing off and on since I was 10, and have been in a few bands that were never supposed to go anywhere, and didn't. Sometime a couple years back, I was playing in my latest band and all of a sudden felt like my relationship to the instrument was all wrong - lack of hand coordination, how I hold the pick or approach, right-hand techniques, the tone I was getting, the staleness of my solos and simplistic rhythm playing. The whole holding-the-pick/picking technique was the biggest source of blockage. You get the idea. It totally messed with my head and kept me from playing or even picking up an instrument. I kind of hate my relationship to the instrument now. And I have a nice collection of good instruments and can't bear to sell them because I like them as objects but not so much as tools or a source of musical enjoyment. I get my musical kicks vicariously thru YT videos (!). Has anyone else found themselves in this place; if so, were you able to work your way past it? I think maybe I need to find a good teacher who will encourage (force) me to get off the dime, but not sure how to find a good teacher (preferably in-person but maybe online). Anyway, thanks for letting me vent. Wishing you all well and success...
Assuming your technique currently is standing with the guitar, have you considered trying playing sitting down? One thing that really changed my playing style was playing sitting down with guitar sitting on the leg opposite my strumming hand with either a foot stool or a pad to elevate the guitar up (similar to a classical player). Actually the guitar sits on both legs this which really balances the instrument). It really made the guitar easier to me. Whatever sitting style you try - it might be good to try out and change the game on your technique. Good luck!!

Happy Enchilada

Friend of Leo's
If you're "of a certain age," you are like the rest of us and you've gone through "dry spells" like this before. I didn't play when I was in my first marriage, and picking it back up saved my sanity in the aftermath (that and a wonderful kitty named Mortisha). Then I put it back in the case when I started my family with my second (current) wife. But after a while I got involved with worship music, and that put some pep in my step (until it didn't). Then I sold off all my gear and went dark for several years. Picked it back up about 5 years ago and now it's part of my life again and very welcome.

One of the tricks I do is to have at least an acoustic sitting out on a stand in my office at arm's length from my desk. A wise man once said that you can't play a guitar while it's in a case, but if it's staring you in the face, you'll pick it up and gradually you'll be a better player. Worth trying as it doesn't cost anything.

And for pickin' hand issues, try these:
1670592470144.png

Ten bucks @ Amazon and they make a great difference for me. YMMV.

The point is, you have spent a lifetime learning to do this wonderful thing - now is not the time to give up. Have faith in yourself and remember the JOY.

Fiesta Red

Poster Extraordinaire
-Take lessons.
-Start learning a different technique—slide guitar, open tunings, finger picking, a different genre.
-Try a different instrument—bass, lap steel, harmonica, wind/horn, etc.
-Reach out to some different people to play with, maybe in a different genre or style.
-Step away for six weeks and then dive back in.
-If you write songs, go back to the ones you’ve written and re-imagine them in a different way.
-If you don’t write songs, start writing, even if it’s a blatant ripoff of another song.

39martind18

Friend of Leo's
Find a local assisted-living facility.
Old folks who are in a retirement life-style.

Connect with their Events Coordinator.
Volunteer to come in some afternoon or evening to play and sing an hour of fun oldies.

This will compel you to practice up a dozen or more really good songs that you are happy to play and sing.

Go on in, load-in, and play and sing.
You will be amazed at how appreciative our Greatest Generation are to hear you play and deliver great music.
Bring some friends who love to sing.
Make it memorable.

Try it.
You will love how it all turns out.
Batteries guaranteed to be re-charged.
:)

View attachment 1038831
What Sparky says about assisted living centers is very true. Residents there REALLY love live music. An added benefit, at least where I live, is that the centers are quite willing to pay performers in the $150/hr range. I'm not saying I'm God's gift to music (far from it!), but I am proficient at accompanying my singing on guitar and have built up a wide-ranging repertoire that appeals to what is fast becoming my peer group in these places. Get out there and play for the young (at heart) folks and have a ball!

keithb7

Poster Extraordinaire
I’ve stuck with guitar for the past 40 years. There when times when I put it down. Usually not for long. Playing with others really helps keep the motivation up. I play in a 4 pc band. We are always learning new material. We gig about once a month. Audience members coming up to you telling you how great the band is, watching people dance and party, smiling is very rewarding. Recently a guy told me we were really inspiring him. He saw what we were doing, unplugged acoustic versions of cover songs. He said “You guys got it nailed. Its all you need, stripped-down rock. I hope I can do what you guys are doing some day.”

That’s a cool feeling. Its nice to be appreciated. It makes you want to play more and get better. A new guitar or amp certainly helps too. Life cycles are normal. It’ll pass. Don’t sell anything during this period of the blues.