The thrill is gone...

68tele

Friend of Leo's
Check out great local players of all genres.
Ask them re: great local teachers.
Audition teachers until one clicks.
Get bizzy with the good one.

Dik Ellis

Tele-Afflicted
I have been using a thumb pick for the last 2 years, and my picking has greatly improved. Try writing your own songs. You'll put more feeling and energy into them, because it's coming out of you.
www.N1M.com/dikellis

NWinther

Friend of Leo's
As others say it comes and goes the drive to play. I did sell most of my stuff, converted it into capital for vacations and other projects.

I kept a few instruments that I like and use the most. To me they where always tools.
Never formed too emotional bonds with guitars.

I spent time doing other stuff that I like doing.
So after some time the drive to play came back.
Now I play because I know that I like it, so I mannaged to get a different kind of pleasure and happiness out of it.

I stopped being consumed with the usual traps of playing guitar, gear and being bothered by other players being better and all of that....(actually stopped that many many years ago).

Most of these trappings is taking place in ones head. So I decided to play with my own voice and sounds.
Much much more enjoyable, it gave it all a more relaxed feel and enjoyment.

Plus I got rid of all that excessive worldly stuff.....it is really a time and mental consuming thing.
Gave way to a more focused life.

And a peace of mind.

Tonetele

Doctor of Teleocity
Most who hang out on Bad Dog don’t really own a guitar. Like me. Just posers.
I resent that statement.
I learnt musical theory for years before playing an instrument in an orchestra. Got blessed with a guitar at age 12 and went on to play live, and sing, two years later. By my twenties was playing four nights a week. Did recording, played with our state's Symphony Orchestra on two Lloyd- Weber musicals. Could have gone professional but got married and we had children. No, I wasn't a supergroup musician. What proportion of guitar players is that? Nor am I a poser. Always enjoyed playing my role in the background. Also had a small business building both electric and acoustic guitars to order. You have insulted most members here. Speak for yourself and don't assume things about other members here.

blowtorch

Telefied
Ad Free Member
I resent that statement.
I learnt musical theory for years before playing an instrument in an orchestra. Got blessed with a guitar at age 12 and went on to play live, and sing, two years later. By my twenties was playing four nights a week. Did recording, played with our state's Symphony Orchestra on two Lloyd- Weber musicals. Could have gone professional but got married and we had children. No, I wasn't a supergroup musician. What proportion of guitar players is that? Nor am I a poser. Always enjoyed playing my role in the background. Also had a small business building both electric and acoustic guitars to order. You have insulted most members here. Speak for yourself and don't assume things about other members here.
Pretty sure drf64 meant that in a tongue-in-cheek manner.

Doctor of Teleocity
I realized that for me, it wasn’t about me or my playing, but the audience. The more I focused on them, the less I worried about the guitar, and everything flowed.

KeithDavies 100

Tele-Holic
I resent that statement.
I think you might have taken that the wrong way - I don't think it was meant seriously. I certainly didn't read it that way myself. Anyway - just saying. Always a shame if anyone upsets anyone else on here, and I'm sure never intended.

KeithDavies 100

Tele-Holic
I've found myself in the rut situation described - am there currently.

We moved recently - I finished a 5-year contract so we moved back to the area we lived previously - but I'm not yet back in secure employment, we're still in a small rented property with stuff in store, I developed tinnitus following some loud practice sessions earlier this year... It all just seems to add up to a less than optimal environment.

I think it's temporary, and hopefully that's the case for you as well.

I've got an exam on Friday - which I really should be studying for as I write!! - which is sucking my time at the moment but once it's out of the way I'm thinking a couple of strategies.

The first is that people post backing tracks on here from time to time. (By that I mean that I notice them from time to time; it may be a very regular occurrence.) I'm going to try and record a solo to post, and to that regularly. Maybe only once a month, maybe once a week - not sure yet. That will give me a new challenge, will get me playing something new because someone else will have provided the base, and will force me to engage practically with home recording, which I've got gear for but have never properly got on with. Maybe I'll find I don't enjoy all that and will pack it in, but I'm hoping that's going to open up a new area of enthusiasm, and possibly connect me with some like-minded people too.

And the second thing I'm thinking of is doing a course. I may do that with a teacher in person, but at the moment I'm leaning towards one from a YouTube guy I follow called Paul Davids. There are loads of guys - and gals!! - doing this, but I just find he speaks to me. But there are lots of them and most have courses.

Years ago I did a course at the Guitar Institute in London. It was only a 10-week course, and I wish I'd been able to do more, but it showed me a glimpse of how you would develop on such courses. I think most of the courses these YouTube guys offer are constructed in a similar way, albeit each with their own personal take.

So those are my plans for trying to deal with my version of what you've described, in case any of that's any use.

But I'd agree with others - don't sell the stuff. I think that's something you'll regret later.

VintageSG

Poster Extraordinaire
Dont' sell anything.
Pick holding problems?, me too. I don't use a pick for anything other than tremolo picking. I 'Wilko' everything else. I'm predominantly a rhythm player, so no biggie. Bass and ukulele?, finger pick anyway. Ukes are great. Ukes are a good diversion. Bass gets the groove back. Don't sell anything, buy a bass and/or a uke. Help the economy.
Last rut I got into, I built a cigar box three string boogie wonder.

Listen to music you're unfamiliar with. Pick a genre. Ask questions on here about it. Get Youtube recommendations aplenty.
Take a break.

blowtorch

Telefied
Ad Free Member
Rotate the crops...get into other hobbies for awhile & give the guitar a good rest.
I keep trying to find time to develop my piano, standup bass and mandolin aspirations.
As winter approaches, I always think "maybe this will be the winter that this all comes together", and yet somehow my guitar obligations for various projects always gets in the way of that

trapdoor2

Friend of Leo's
This is why I have too many instruments and play too many styles. When I get burnt out, I either switch instruments or styles...sometimes both.

I also generally avoid playing with others: nobody to please, no drama, play only what I like.

andy__d

Tele-Meister
I also generally avoid playing with others: nobody to please, no drama, play only what I like.
Or, maybe, find different folks to play with. Not necessarily in exclusion of your current band, but sometimes just going and jamming with a different bunch of folks, maybe in a different style or with a different set will jump start you.

i’ve been through this loop several times - usually once every 10 years; I take some time off, and after a bit, I realize I miss it and buy a whole bunch of gear to compensate for all the stuff I sold. Like others have said, don’t sell your gear, unless you like paying more for inferior versions of what you sold for less than it was worth to you…

Buell

Tele-Holic
As you can tell from all of the great posts on here, everyone has gone thru the same thing. I went about 4 years without barely picking up a guitar. What's really odd is that when I finally got back into playing regularly, it seemed like my playing improved and the creative juices took off. Don't give up!

Engine Swap

Friend of Leo's
I quit from 1997 to 2012. And again from 2015 to 2020.

Work/life stuff happening. Didn’t sell a thing, but seriously wondered if I would pick it up again.

Started back up in 2020, and looking forward to lots of playing when I soon retire.

buster poser

Poster Extraordinaire
OP I would say if you're not as good as you want to be, you should keep practicing until you close that gap. I came back to the guitar after 20 years off and drilled like I was 9-10 years old again for a year after I restarted.

I understand the light dimming a bit; I haven't had any real, focused practice this year, but I can play the pretty difficult stuff I set out as a goal two years ago, and don't really have any designs on playing out/with others right now. I still play at least an hour a day; it can be just for enjoyment.

If you're not enjoying it, have you given it enough effort to put it down with satisfaction for a while or will it gnaw on you that you didn't really try? Different for everyone, I was/am that type. Sounds like maybe you are too. I'd keep at it and yes, lessons. In person, not some YT course.

Last edited:

Tricone

Friend of Leo's
Remember why you started playing in the first place? The love of music. You are putting undue pressure on yourself.
Don't worry about technique and comparing yourself and style to others. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Be you, and make your contribution to the music.
Check out B.B. King and AC/DC. Sometimes all it takes is one note or one formula to work. Not all musicians are virtuoso, and that is o.k.

Bluego1

Friend of Leo's
Maybe it’s since I’ve only been playing about 5 years and I play alone at home, but I can’t even fathom burnout. 5 or 6 hours a day, probably 2 or 3 playing songs and a couple farting around with pedals, amp settings, speaker variations, etc. Haven’t had a day without playing since the day I bought my first and I doubt I ever will, barring injury. Too much to learn (never feels like a chore) and too many songs to play.

dougbgt6

Tele-Meister
Try something different, that's why we all have SO many guitars! Nurddle around with a bass. Using your thumb and fingers is a great technique to learn, and a great backup for when you drop your plec!

Doug

Toto'sDad

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
Come to think of it….. in the 3 years I’ve been here I’ve never once seen you post anything about guitars………

Yet you still grace us with your awesomeness!
Usually when I post about my Tele it's to gripe about it, maybe that doesn't count as a guitar post. I love my Martin, and my wife has a nice little Taylor 314ce that I gave her about twelve years ago, that she hasn't played in at least ten years, but it's still HERS! I also have an Epiphone Masterbilt that is a pretty good guitar for an inexpensive one. Amps are a DRRI for the Tele, and an AC-90 for the acoustics. Have mics and stands. I am too old to play much now, but I used to love playing.