The Three-Day Challenge

Discussion in 'Recording In Progress' started by woodman, Aug 28, 2019.

1. woodman

woodman Grand Wazoo @ The Woodshed Gold Supporter

Geoff, I think you're smarter going with the sound of the surf!

Dave, ya gotta keep an eye on those mandrills every minute. They are messy people.

suthol likes this.
  2. Geoff738

Geoff738 Poster Extraordinaire

Really important point. You’re the best Woodman out there. And from where I’m listening from, that’s not a bad place to be at all. If the course helps you to be an even better Woodman, fantastic.

Being a second rate Jacquire? Not so helpful. He’s got that position wrapped up already. I’m betting though you’ll pull little things, other approaches that he uses, in surprising or unexpected ways as you’re working on things in the future.

More quills in the quiver? More mandrills in the mud? A spare hammer?

Cheers,
    Geoff

3. woodman

I laughed at your last line for about 30 seconds! Made my morning. Thanks, old friend.

But bear in mind, the track I posted was white-knuckle Meatball Mixing, shooting for a self-imposed deadline. I'm cleaning it up and will put up an improved version later today.

4. woodman

Spent a little time cleaning up this mix, but will probably tinker with it some more. It still insists on tacking on an extra minute of dead air, still haven't figured out why that is.

5. suthol

suthol Friend of Leo's

Nice work there Woody, just a minor suggestion you'd better give that mandrill a clip under the ear cos when he comes in with the fills in the verse around the 1 minute mark he's all over the vocal

6. Geoff738

Geoff738 Poster Extraordinaire

More mandrill!

Cheers,
    Geoff

7. studio

studio Poster Extraordinaire

Mandrills eh?

Nice going!

8. woodman

Thanks, guys! My plan is to use this project as a lab mandrill to experiment on — EQ experiments, compressor shootouts, aux combos, order of plugin insertion and so forth, to get oriented toward my next school of thought, and I'm always thinkin'! :D So, remixes could pop up another time or two.

9. T Prior

T Prior Poster Extraordinaire

you are a brave soul Woody ! Kool track !

:)

10. studio

studio Poster Extraordinaire

So then original song and lyrics from scratch are
    out of the scope of the 3 day challenge?

I take that this exercise is about on the job or should i say
    on the clock training?

Where the time factor is your umpire? Get work done?

11. getbent

getbent Telefied Ad Free Member

man, I love your voice.... and your playing....

I'd love to record a doc watson red rocking chair era instrumentation to this.... with maybe a little trem mando....

woodman likes this.
  12. t-ray

t-ray Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

I got a fever!
    Sounding awesome, Woodman. This in four days? Wow.

13. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

I’m completing my recording projects much faster now.
    I now subscribe to the concept that “perfect is the enemy of good“. For too long i put off finishing my projects by trying to tweak imperfections, etc. screw that!
    I’m not trying to do original projects like you and i no longer have a target of professional quality mixes. I just want clear, accurate recordings, where things sit well in the mix so the final result is suitable for backing tracks. Most of my recording is creating covers of classic tunes.
    As such, i have drastically simplified my process. I lay down my tracks and apply a modest amount of EQ and compression to each track. I create some buses for reverb, etc. Finally, I just use logic‘s preset mastering templates until I find one that I like and that fits the song. Then I do my final bounce to iTunes.
    I have templates set up with my most common routings and tracks.
    I completed two songs last week.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2019
    t-ray and suthol like this.
  14. Ducerro

Ducerro Tele-Meister

While listening I also watched the clock. There were several times where the clock would stop for a count and then pick back up again. Not sure what the "clock" was counting, but it wasn't seconds.

EDIT: Looked again and didn't see the clock slip up... Not sure what I was seeing. Might have been my internet conection speed...

15. woodman

It's hard to imagine writing, recording and mixing a song in three days! Anyone who can is a better man than me. Rarely does a new song just gush out for me. It usually takes weeks for it to form. Many times I've gotten halfway through production before the lyrics are even complete! Of course, everybody's different. I once saw a bandmate sit on the couch and write five songs in one afternoon. Unfortunately, none of them were strong enough for the band to pick up, but by golly he could crank them out.

To me, this was mostly an exercise in efficiency — concerned chiefly with breaking bad habits. Advance planning on what I'm going to do in what order, then doing it without agonizing over decisions. Make the call and move on. Of course every battle plan is brilliant until the first shot is fired. My rigid methods fell apart quickly and I reverted to my natural workflow, BUT with a minimum of wasting time. The ticking clock was a motivator but not an anxiety agent — my day job before I retired was journalism, and deadlines were a daily fact of life.

studio likes this.
  16. woodman

Actually, the production was within the stipulated three days. The fourth day was post-production tweaking — a few minor adjustments, a couple of hours spent on the vocal EQ, and another hour trying to dial in a new limiter across the mix bus.

I look at it as a house analogy — at some point, the structure's in place. No added deck, no second-story pop-up, no utility room tacked on. Just some experimenting with paint combinations, sweeping out the sawdust, giving all the windows a good wash, polishing the doorknobs, picking up all the roofing nails out of the driveway and so forth. A much more relaxed scenario!

preactor likes this.
  17. javiersson

javiersson TDPRI Member

Cool Woodman, I like this kind of project. And the result is good, so make it again!

18. woodman

Spent another hour of two on it this morning, a few automation fine-tunings but mostly working on the vocal. I didn't like the nasally, quacky quality it had, but the more I EQ'd, all it did was suck the midrange out.

Let me backtrack by saying that the original vocal comprised the main track, a parallel-compressed track and a summing aux. Each had its individual plugins for specific purposes. But no matter how I jiggered the balance, I couldn't kill the quack. So I duped the main track again and dropped the formant substantially, chopped only the peaks with comp and the resonances with EQ, and blended it into the aux with the rest. The result is better, but the only way to really "fix" it would be to retrack all the vocals, and it ain't worth all that for a Three-Day Challenge! Trust me, the only way this'll get near a radio station is if I'm driving past with Lost Highway on a thumb drive in my glove box. :D

It took a while because, while it's felt more than heard, I used an "ambience arc" on the vocals — first verse is bone-dry, second has some light reverb, third some slapback, and the fourth, full-blown echo. So the automation had to be tidied up in light of all that. It was a pretty cool experience overall, but not one I'll be likely to repeat! :eek:

19. preactor

preactor Tele-Holic

Enjoyed all of the efforts. Great playing, singing, and the challenge to get things done in 3 days.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.