The thing about cars...

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Paul G., May 8, 2021.

1. Paul G.

Paul G. Friend of Leo's

So over the last couple of hundred years we went from solidly mounted axles and iron tires, to sophisticated pneumatic designs, perfected suspension systems which are supple and still offer control. High-tech stuff. So then guys buy a car, put 19 or 20" wheels with rubber bands for tires, slams it to the ground with maybe 1/2" suspension travel and spends a couple 3 grand doing it. Pretty funny if you ask me.

Second funniest thing is when you see low profile tires on a lifted truck.

Funniest thing is wide drag tires on the back of a Civic.

That's right, I'm old. Deal with it.

2. Telekarster

Telekarster Tele-Afflicted

So... where I'm at they're putting these round about things all over the place. Funniest thing I saw recently was one of these cars you talk of, dude must've thought the road still went strait... must've been at night... anyway the car was literally sitting in the middle of the round about, and all his fancy low rider stuff was piled up on the curve! LOL!!!! I couldn't tell for sure but I think all 4 tires popped too ;)

3. lmjmitchell

lmjmitchell Tele-Meister

I don't understand it either, but I'm not a "car guy" and hate driving.

I guess they have to find something to do with their money.

4. Sparky2

Sparky2 Friend of Leo's

Funniest thing I saw (re; the original topic) was an old full-sized Chevrolet Caprice Classic broke down on the side of an Interstate on-ramp.

It was a tight sweeper of a turn, and the car, equipped with enormous, clown-like, 21" rims, snapped a front axle, and slid to a scraping halt against the retaining wall.

Physics.
    It's a thing, apparently.

;)

Capture.PNG leverage2.png

5. 985plowboy

985plowboy Friend of Leo's

My standard phrase is
    “Any old POS with rims”.

6. stxrus

stxrus Poster Extraordinaire

There was a Jeep Wrangler here on island setup as a Low Rider without the pneumatics
    It made sense to someone

drlucky and Toto'sDad like this.
  7. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Poster Extraordinaire

There are Army enlisted men still trying to pay off their ill-considered 29% APR long term loan on a cool looking Mustang.

Screenshot_20210508-095301_Chrome.jpg

drlucky, kuvash, Jerry J and 8 others like this.
  8. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

These days I rent trucks and trailers when needed sort of laughing at the choices many make because I used to actually need trucks.

My performance wagon has low profile tires and big wheels but it's factory engineers and matches it being a manual transmission, turbocharged, and tall gearing. Our Outback is very appropriate to not have low profile tires because it gets off road a lot and travels the ski area service roads and aids my trail building.

I totally get tweaking and mods but I also keep it for function.

Here's the other thing about cars. I wish my priorities changed earlier in life. Around 20 years ago I moved downscale with automotive interests and upscale with home interests. Spending extra on home location and quality has paid in ways money on vehicles doesn't. I don't miss anything from driving mid-level cars and love living in a nicer place.

For anyone who's read Harvey MacKay, you definitely want the Cadillac home before wasting money on the Cadillac car.

@stxrus I have not seen ridiculous vehicles on your island like I have Grand Cayman and Jamaica. GCM the way that tiny place can have such exotic stuff or Jamaica some of the to me entertaining DIY stuff people have done. I think the US territory aspect makes things seem more normal for your home and mine.

9. Stringbanger

Stringbanger Telefied Ad Free Member

I’m starting to see extra wide tires that stick out several inches beyond the fenders. It’s mostly young guys in pick ups.

I heard that this is illegal in PA, but I still see it. Weird.

8barlouie likes this.
  10. CCK1

CCK1 Tele-Holic

I don't understand it either. But my wife's family owns a regional chain of tire and wheel stores, and they absolutely love these guys. 2-3k doesn't even come close to what some of these guys spend on a Honda Civic, and then dial in so much negative camber that the inside edge of the tire only lasts four or five thousand miles. And the wheels are easily bent by curbs, etc, because there's only about an 1.5 inches of tire between wheel and road. Like I said, the tire stores love to see 'em coming!

pbenn, drlucky, REWTX and 3 others like this.
  11. Ron C

Ron C Tele-Holic

One of the things I like about building and modding guitars is that it satisfies the itch to mod stuff at a lot lower cost and risk than the car modding I did in the early 80s. A pack of resistors, a 4 conductor humbucker, some switches and fret leveling tools sure are lower stakes than swapping out suspension components, wheels and tires on my 80s VWs.

drlucky, SRHmusic and P Thought like this.
  12. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

young guys with not much money, but a desire to stand out and be stylish has been around forever. Funny mods and tweaks to make one 'unique' AND 'fit in' have been around forever.

It is odd to me too, what the OP described.... why people cripple their vehicle in the interest of style, but, the thing I have been noticing as everyone is 'back' driving.... LOTS of actual high performance, stock-ish cars that just RAGE on the fwy and their equally puzzling rival, the tremendously outfitted 'overlander' that does not appear to have left civilization EVER. I understand the 'overbuild' idea (and am occasionally probably guilty of it) but, man, mounted shovels and hi lifts that have NEVER been unbolted. Winches that are showroom clean.

Seeing the kid with the 90's honda with a big wing on it and a giant fart machine for a tail pipe actually makes me smile.... I dig those kids, they are the kids who love cars and have a copy of road and track open to the llambo section or the history of the miura or some super car.

BTW, if you've ever driven or ridden in a ferrari, it is among the stupidest, hottest most awesome things ever created. It is a brutal ride and stupid, and totally fun. It reminded me of flying in my friend's plane, when you are just sitting on the runway waiting to take off and it is a warmish day, you ROAST like a sardine in a can.... then you take off and it is great.

humans are weird, which is why I like them.

13. buster poser

buster poser Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

I don't mind if the lowering is for performance sake and it's done correctly. My M3 was really low on TC Kline coilovers, but it wasn't harsh at all. Nice track/street balance. Factory 19s.

What I hate are when they are *meant* to look like performance/track mods and demonstrably harm performance, like the ridiculous negative camber on all four wheels that reduces the contact patch to around a third of the tire's tread area. Or when guys lower by cutting springs, etc. Total posing.

14. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Doctor of Teleocity

We all like to be different... We even pay extra for it.

79E7752D-396C-449A-B6AD-401BB982CA14.jpeg

Deeve, bgmacaw and Paul G. like this.
  15. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

there are two groups of kids in town that I see working on cars and I've been the annoying old man who says hi and praises them and then asks what the heck is going on.... both sets are super cool, nice kids and seemingly excited to talk about what they are doing. One group is doing the off camber, as low as you can go and they are driven by just how 'extreme' it can all be (with off the shelf parts) the second group are kids who are young, renting a funky duplex, just getting by, so sometimes it is the 'holy crap hit autozone on friday night work all weekend to drive that car on monday' kind of thing. But, they also find 'bargains' and flip them. Their flip cars are almost ALL subies. They find messed up outbacks and sedans and fix them up and flip them. just about always, there is a subaru on jackstands in front of their place... They don't do any fabbing, but they are hardworking and really lighthearted kids, I think they'll do well.

I have heard there are some hardcore powerwagon guys around here, but I haven't found them yet. My friend, Steve, has a nice powerwagon that he is redoing and it is a beast... maybe the harshest ride sincea buckboard....

The guy next to us has an early 70's ranchero... he patches it a lot and uses it as a 'daily' driver... I think he got it for a song and is just enjoying it.... he knows it isn't collectible per se, but cool to haul bikes in.

drlucky, YYZman and P Thought like this.
  16. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

My wife and I drive normal cars. Not too low. Not too wide. I’m not a truck driver and neither is she. The rare times we need to haul, we pay someone to do it. Wide tires do not a performance car make. I lease my cars because I get bored with them. I bought the little roadster for my wife who swore it was her last car. Now she wants a new one. Maybe next year after the house is done.
    3585E02C-BA1C-44BF-B339-78A603E8C28E.jpeg

Paul G. and getbent like this.
  17. BerkshireDuncan

BerkshireDuncan Tele-Meister

I follow several Classic / Brit car forums- Chip Foose's 'genius' is a frequent subject of debate.
    Here he turns the car Enzo Ferrari thought the most beautiful ever made.. into an undriveable show pony.

[​IMG]

schmee, Jerry J and JL_LI like this.
  18. buster poser

Those Scooby kids are fun and predictably there are a ton here in the high desert. There's a guy in my hood here who's way into them, always has a couple around, one looks like it could handle some serious offroad. We have a lot of drivable federal land around here, I am heavily considering converting my 911 into a baja/offroad, it's just a big investment. Something like this though... oof, so much fun.

[​IMG]

19. buster poser

That sucks. As Singer's Rob Dickinson has said... "the wheels maketh the car." They can also ruin it as above. Foose has been brilliant on some cars, but his approach doesn't work with everything, obviously.

I love the Jag "re-issues" they've been doing lately though from the factory. Many hundreds of thousands of course, but man... if you have the means, etc., etc.

boris bubbanov and Chuckster like this.
  20. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I'll bet he liked his cargo shorts to reach his ankles!

kuvash and buster poser like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.