The Telecaster Handbook...is it worth it?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by StachePower, May 24, 2020.

1. nvilletele

nvilletele Friend of Leo's

It might be useful if you were going to do some mods or otherwise work on the specific Teles he goes into detail on. Otherwise, perhaps not really essential.

Here is the relevant section of the table of contents. Plus the full table of contents. I would have creased the page down to make it flat for the pic, but who knew the book was worth so much. I saw it for around $225 new on one internet book site, and even more for a used copy elsewhere. Cheapest on eflay was $60 in beat up condition.

Also have the other books pictured. The Duchossoir One has some useful info and details, depending on what you are looking for. The one by Bacon seems the least technical.

If you have a need for any specific section of the Balmer book, I could probably provide some visual assistance re a particular section.

E0761D2B-FBA7-432E-9C1C-EDF1F26607C2.jpeg EE24F408-D017-4776-9C5B-B5D54B5929E8.jpeg A07E1BA1-1BA5-4E38-971A-AC5C2DAF577E.jpeg

2. netgear69

netgear69 Tele-Afflicted

3. tintag27

tintag27 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I bought a new copy some years ago - I like it...
    It's very attractively presented and packed with high-quality photos. It has features on maintenance on specific models, a gallery of well known tele players, history of the instrument etc... If it has a fault, it is that it tries to pack too much between the covers, but it's all interesting material. Not likely a professional luthier would need to consult this, and no doubt many on the forum would not gain a lot from it - but thousands of other telecaster players (including myself) would find it a handsome coffee table book, an enjoyable read, and a wideranging source of basic technical knowledge...
    Handbook.jpg

4. warrent

warrent Friend of Leo's

I think the better question for those who own the book is should we sell. Looking at some of the prices on Amazon Canada I think I could get a nice American Pro or even a custom shop.

CDN$ 401.33
    + CDN$ 12.89 shipping

New
    Ergodebooks Ships from USA
    4.5 out of 5 stars 91% positive over the past 12 months. (12,866 total ratings)

CDN$ 3,352.98
    FREE Shipping

New
    Books Mela
    4 out of 5 stars 77% positive over the past 12 months. (290 total ratings)

nvilletele likes this.
  5. BBQedIguana

BBQedIguana Tele-Meister

I would buy it just to read the foreword by Andy Summers! :)

6. nvilletele

nvilletele Friend of Leo's

The question then is: are there any prospective buyers actually willing to pay that amount? Lots of out of print books (and Disney “Black Diamond” VHS tapes) are listed for outrageous prices. They often sit unpurchased for long long times, some of the latter forever. Some sellers wait for the right buyer, others are just looking for fools and suckers.

7. BobbyMac

BobbyMac Tele-Meister Gold Supporter

If you don't have it already, "The Fender Telecaster" by A.D. Duchossoir is the best compilation of the complete history of the Telecaster. It is not a "how to" book so it won't help you with set up info, but it documents pretty much every change to the guitar over the years from its inception until about 1990. The price has gone up over the years, but you can get it for a lot less than what the book you mentioned is going for.

Last edited: May 25, 2020
    CWP0126 likes this.
  8. David Barnett

David Barnett Doctor of Teleocity

And that's probably the only reason why it's of any value today, the novelty of a Haynes Manual for a non-automotive product.

The Haynes manuals for Fiats used lots of photos from the official Fiat workshop manuals, and included at least one of the same mistakes - finding the timing on cylinder #1 instead of #4 when setting the distributor. I would expect a similar level of journalistic integrity in their guitar books...

warrent likes this.
  9. warrent

warrent Friend of Leo's

Which was the reason I bought it. The idea seemed interesting but the execution didn't match the car manuals.
    Paul did whole series though for the SG, Les pauls etc. And a version on how to build your own guitar with a forward by Brian May.
    https://www.bookdepository.com/author/Paul-Balmer

dlew919 likes this.
  10. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Ah but the existence of this forum says otherwise. It might not be hard-core Tele all the time, in fact I think this forum is waaaay OT lol. The fact remains, people do notice and care that a 50s guitar is the best one, not the latter models with “improvements”.

I half agree with you though, the CV is already pretty much the same good guitar as a 50s model, nothing more to do but change the control layout to the less useful 50s varieties.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.