1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

The Telecaster choke!

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by degsycaster, Sep 18, 2010.

1. degsycaster

degsycaster Tele-Holic

Anyone else experience that choked note on the high 'E' string when you bend it at the 15th fret? Virtually every Tele I've ever owned has suffered this to a greater or lesser degree. No matter how well the guitar is set up - with a high or low action - it's always there in my experience. Is it just me? :?:

2. nvilletele

nvilletele Friend of Leo's

What fretboard radius? I find this happens with 7.25 sometimes, but rarely with 9.5.

3. NankerPhelge

NankerPhelge Tele-Meister

I just tried it. I've got a 9.5 radius neck with medium jumbos and could bend up to Ab no problems.

It's just been set up for 10's so my feeble arthritic hands can't go further.

4. Jeff_K

Jeff_K Friend of Leo's

Oh...I thought you were at my last gig.

5. Mark Davis

Mark Davis Telefied Ad Free Member

7.25 almost always does this unless you use high action its normal.

If your nut is cut perfect and all the frets are perfectly the same height it wont do it but rarely is anyones guitar setup that perfect.

6. tele salivas

tele salivas Poster Extraordinaire

The, but 9 point radius allows that bend, my stepson's Jagstang has a vintage 7 point radius, no bending up to full step on that one.

7. Controller

Controller Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

My Tele has never choked, but I have plenty of times.

8. oramac7891

oramac7891 Friend of Leo's

just tried, mine does.

9. Birdmankustomz

Birdmankustomz Friend of Leo's

My tele doesn't do that, buts its a '08 mia and I think starting in '08 they had 12" boards (someone that knows what they're talking about will know for sure). I just know it plays great and thats all I care about

10. tiktok

tiktok Poster Extraordinaire

Hence the flatter "modern" radius. Try that bend with the strings that originally shipped with a Tele--.012 or .013 gauge. No problem!

11. Monster Mike Welch

Monster Mike Welch Tele-Meister

That's the first note I test after setting up a guitar - that's where the five-to-flat-seven B.B. bend is in C, and the flat-third-to-fifth Albert bend is in E. It means that my E string is medium-high off the board on a 7.25" radius. My lower strings are set up with lower action, with the bottom four strings more or less following the board's radius, and the B and E about level with the G string (i.e. farther off the curved board).

12. Wardpike

Wardpike Friend of Leo's

9.5 is definitely my fave radius for bending and general playing comfort.

:)

13. degsycaster

degsycaster Tele-Holic

Interesting replies guys. To be honest most of my recent Teles have been 9.5", I guess I'm noticing it more since I got my '52RI with the 7.25". I've found myself setting up how Monster Mike Welch was explaining earlier - low action on the bass side, getting higher on the treble side. Not a problem, just one of those Tele idiosyncrasies that makes us love 'em even more :D

14. OuttaspaceMan

OuttaspaceMan Tele-Afflicted

Same here, whether it's my 7.25 or a 12 radius tele - the 1st thing I adjust is the 1st string set high enough for it not to choke out on bends. Then I also check the 2nd string after. With both my 7.25 radius teles, they're set up just like yours and works great on mine too =)

15. OuttaspaceMan

OuttaspaceMan Tele-Afflicted

+1

16. Axis29

Axis29 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

It'll happen on a Strat too.... It's the 7.25 radius, not the guitar model.

17. musicmatty

musicmatty Former Member

I would guess that many of us players regardless of the radius, are setting our Treble E & B strings higher just so we can grab the damn things. Their body mass is so small compared to the Bass strings that I have a hard time fingering them for a good bend if I don't keep them raised up to at least 4.5 64ths :eek:

18. effcee

effcee Tele-Meister

No problem here, but my 1986 MIJ '52 Reissue was set-up really well by a tech who knew what he was doing. I can get a full tone bend with no choking whatsoever.

For what it's worth, I'm often surprised at how many people have ongoing problems with their guitar, but never take it to a really good tech to have things set right. If 'the perfect' set-up was so simple that *anyone* could do it, then how come so many pros come from far and wide to have their axe set-up by someone like the really good tech we have here in my town?

Sometimes things which seem relatively straightforward and logical are things which require the most know-how.

19. musicmatty

musicmatty Former Member

The term 'set-up- is somewhat generic I think. Now That I know a few things about guitars..I see how foolish it is to just walk in to a guitar shop and say "my guitar needs a set-up" without any further explanation.

I don't believe there is a 'One size fit's all' set-up for any guitar. When I do set-ups for other player's guitars..I will ask them,
    1) do you prefer low action or med, or even on the High side?
    2) Do you play hard or soft..mostly strumming or picking? And if you want your action real low and you play hard and pick hard, be prepared for some buzzing UNLESS you have superb fret work to allow for very low action and if not, are you willing to live with it.

Often, there has to be somewhat of a comprimise to a set-up with regards to what the player is willing to accept from his guitar and what he can live with to play it.

For me to set up someone else's guitar, I want to know a few things so we can it right the 1st time hopefully. I also find that the more someone's playin style evolves..their set-up preference's will change somewhat with it ;)

20. mellecaster

mellecaster Former Member

Very well-stated +10

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.