The Tele Won't Break - Indestructible

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Wilson 888, Mar 26, 2016.

1. Toronto Tele

Toronto Tele Tele-Meister

I thought there may have been some connection. ;)

2. PaisleyAddict

PaisleyAddict Tele-Meister

jesus, you threw it against the wall five times and that's IT? that blows my mind how little damage your tele suffered.

this is the perfect punk rock guitar. takes a hit and keeps on ticking.

tce63 likes this.
  3. Shanewilliams

Shanewilliams TDPRI Member

I love it! Rock and Roll

4. Wilson 888

Wilson 888 TDPRI Member

100%. They w
    Yeah. Joe Strummer. 'Nuff said.

5. Toronto Tele

Toronto Tele Tele-Meister

What Timex did for the wristwatch Fender did for the electric guitar. :cool:

6. johnnyha

johnnyha Tele-Afflicted

Takes a kicking and keeps on licking.

7. bchaffin72

bchaffin72 Friend of Leo's

Well, I did see Fred Stuart once say(of Fender guitars in general), "You could fight your way out of a bar fight with one of these things and, you know, maybe you need to retune it. Maybe."

badvoodoo and tce63 like this.
  8. johnnyha

johnnyha Tele-Afflicted

The problem here as I see it besides the chipped headstock and bent tuners you now have, is you could easily crack a solder connection or jar something delicate in the guts and maybe not right away but just when you least expect it you got problems or maybe no sound at all. I would not recommend gigging with this thing now.

9. Wilson 888

Wilson 888 TDPRI Member

The tuners are bent? I didn't even notice that. The solder thing is perfectly logical, however, you could say that about any guitar, regardless of its condition. Like if the worker at the factory was hungover or texting while soldering. Nobody would know... Anyhow, I inspected the guts, and it's totally fine. I always have a soldering iron handy anyways, for replacing pickups, rewiring, etc.

johnnyha and tce63 like this.
  10. Hardneck

Hardneck Tele-Meister

Mate, go easy on the sauce, otherwise I think you're a prime candidate for 2016/17 Darwin awards.......

songtalk and tce63 like this.
  11. Ron R

Ron R Friend of Leo's

This times like 1,000,000.
    I don't treat my guitars like museum pieces, they're meant to be played,a nd sometimes that means things are going to happen, but there's no way I'd intentionally rough 'em up.

12. Beachbum

Beachbum Friend of Leo's

When I was young and obnoxious my wife grabbed an acoustic and did that across my back. Word of advice. If you're going to continue doing that kind of stuff keep your back to the wall.

badvoodoo likes this.
  13. maxvintage

maxvintage Friend of Leo's

Forum rules say that if you have nothing good to say you should say nothing.

So......

"

."

tce63 likes this.
  14. PaisleyAddict

i think you should do it again and make another video just to spite all the naysayers in this thread.

"oh no, the tele's wiring is messed up." because the telecaster has such complicated wiring, right? "oh, a tuner's buggered." yeah, because that's not replaceable at all. "you're an idiot." yeah, he's an idiot because he put his telecaster to the test and the telecaster won.

i wouldn't go throwing my telecaster against a wall either, but i do feel a great deal of comfort knowing my telecaster can withstand extreme duress. to a punk rock player like me, it helps me know i picked the right instrument.

Peter Rarebit likes this.
  15. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Dude, this could be "rock n roll"--could. If you were in some no-name punk band playing in a sh***y dive and the crowd wasn't feeling you, yes you can now proceed to do as thou wilt. I couldn't argue with your real aggression or P.M.A.

BUT--you set up a video camera and pretended. No rock n roll points for you! Entertaining demonstration at least, at the guitars expense though. Kind of needless. But hey don't mind me, I'm not the rock n roll police and as much as I think the Tele police should be called on you to confiscate your Teles, I'm not a narc :p

maxvintage likes this.
  16. maxvintage

maxvintage Friend of Leo's

This is pretty comical.

"He put his telecaster to the test!"

You could try driving your car into a wall and denting it to prove it can still drive. But why would you? You could try falling off the roof to prove you could survive with a broken leg, because broken legs heal. You could throw explosives into your toilet to prove that plumbing can be repaired. You could drop a tree on your house, since after all, house are repairable and your house past the test of being reparable. Trying to grasp the logic here.

If you throw your guitar against the wall you don't do any damage that can't be repaired.

Umm, yes, not a surprise. just....odd

17. Chicago Matt

Chicago Matt Friend of Leo's

+1
    Help is available

18. PaisleyAddict

-you don't drive your car into a wall because there's no sense in it. besides which, the company that manufactured your car already drove plenty of cars like it into walls to ascertain what kind of damage it could take.
    -life happens, but generally if you jump off a roof, you're probably in desperate need of medication and/or therapy.
    -the only explosive someone's going to throw down their toilet is the one that happens after a taco bell burrito.
    -no one's going to drop a tree on their house. seriously, who's strong enough to pick up a tree?

it's not exactly a fair comparison. a better one would be, say, a telecaster vs a les paul. if you play rough music, you're probably going to leave the les paul at home unless you enjoy broken guitars on the regular. a hit similar to one in the video would most likely cause a les paul to explode into several pieces. you could use a stratocaster, but a hit as severe as the one in the video would probably throw the tremolo out of whack - reportedly, something like this happened to buddy guy where his stratocaster took a *hard* fall off a moving vehicle and it was fine, but the intonation was screwy, I suspect because of the tremolo. as far as i can tele, the OP didn't even have to intonate his guitar after all that abuse. that's kind of incredible.

as crude as the video might be in some regards, i don't think it should be written off as an act of stupidity. i think it's useful as a point of reference for someone interested in maximum durability from their instrument. of course, it's hilarious to watch too. or at least it's hilarious to those of us who don't buy custom shop fenders.

maybe you need to swing your telecaster against a wall to truly understand it. i'm gonna give mine a punch later for good luck.

so, how long before OP does a hendrix and sets fire to his tele?

badvoodoo likes this.
  19. Oberhaz

Oberhaz TDPRI Member

Hmm, you did prove a point, but it had little to do with the durability of a telecaster.

maxvintage likes this.
  20. Marshall_Stack

Marshall_Stack Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

So it wasn't done as an homage to Always Sunny in Philadelphia?
    Hmm. Thought I had that nailed.
    Maybe a tribute to Gustav Metzger and auto destructive art?
    That's who Townshend got it from. My inspiration:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.