1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

the Tele to Strat jump

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by ndcaster, Apr 6, 2021.

1. Fendereedo

Fendereedo Poster Extraordinaire

I like Strats, but prefer my JM.

AAT65 likes this.
  2. BFcaster

BFcaster Tele-Meister

Let the Strat be a Strat.

These were SSS floating trems when first designed. Try it that way, after a proper set-up. Nut material to allow the strings to glide, 3 springs and a properly tensioned claw, properly adjusted trem bridge height with 2 screws.....all very important.

Let the Strat be a Strat.....THEN decide if hardtail is the way to go, along with re-wiring and such.

P Thought and Ricky D. like this.
  3. BFcaster

BFcaster Tele-Meister

And don’t lose the little spring in the trem arm hole. They are super-expensive!! Not.

And don’t be afraid to slightly bend the trem arm down to be more comfortable using it.

YYZman and Gris like this.
  4. Ricky D.

Ricky D. Doctor of Teleocity

I have two deviations from a stock Strat.

A Fralin blender pot in the third hole. This lets me fade in the neck pickup when the selector is on B or B+M. Also will fade in the bridge pickup when the selector is on N orN+M. Master volume and master tone for the other two pots.

I just couldn't abide the stock bridge pickup, so I replaced it with a Duncan Twangbanger. That's essentially a vintage-style Tele pickup on a Strat bobbin.

5. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Lemme see both hands before I answer! :D

6. Telecasters84

Telecasters84 Tele-Meister

5E69B9B4-C31B-4387-B552-29DACC2CAF5A.gif

ndcaster likes this.
  7. ndcaster

ndcaster Poster Extraordinaire

Telecasters84 likes this.
  8. Ron C

Ron C Tele-Holic

Have you had a chance to try out a Strat with the volume pot in the usual position? If not, well, yeah it's different than a Tele but I like it better. I ride the volume control a lot (especially when playing live) to get different tone and attack combos.

The other thing that's different about Strats is string spacing at the bridge. You have a bunch of choices from really wide to narrower than a typical Tele.

ndcaster likes this.
  9. johnnylaw

johnnylaw Tele-Afflicted

I really like the middle pickup alone for rhythm work. Wire it straight to the volume pot, and use the second tone knob for the bridge pickup.
    I lower my pickups practically down to the pickguard, and then raise them gradually until I get the tone I want. I do the middle one first, then the other two to balance output volume.
    You might still have to learn how to not hit the middle pickup accidentally while picking.
    Good guitars.

ndcaster likes this.
  10. Lucius Paisley

Lucius Paisley Tele-Holic

As far as tremolo is concerned, just leave the bar out, NBD.

11. P Thought

P Thought Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Knowing nothing about strats myself I sent mine when I got it done to the tech and asked him to set it up the way he liked it. I love it.

IMG_20210404_122628149.jpg

Last edited: Apr 6, 2021
    ndcaster likes this.
  12. dented

dented Doctor of Teleocity

:eek:

13. YYZman

YYZman TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

Definitely activate a tone control for the bridge, it’s one jumper soldered to the 5-way switch.

The David Gilmour mod is also worth considering - a micro switch to add the neck pickup into the other combinations. A push/pull pot would make this mod invisible.

The modern 2-point tremolo bridge is more stable/easier to dial in than the 6-screw vintage style. A trick for the vintage bridges is to back off the 4 middle screws a bit so that the bridge moves more freely.

Lube all contact points of the strings (except for the machine heads). Saddles, trem block, nut and string tree(s). It makes a big difference in tuning stability if you want to use the floating bridge.
    I like the Graphtech Tusq nuts, but they are not mandatory. If you feel like splurging, Big Bends Nut Sauce is a good lube and the applicator is very convenient.

As for blocking the trem, that’s a matter of personal preference. It’s not actually that hard to set up the bridge to float nicely and be stable.

What has worked well for me is to use only 3-4 tremolo springs and to angle them and the claw such that there is more tension on the lower strings. I will also use springs of different strength as needed. The benefit is that if you use the tremolo more aggressively, the string tension is brought back more evenly when you release the bar. ie more force on the thicker strings.

YMMV

ndcaster likes this.
  14. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

I don't have a Strat anymore, but I wish I did. The last was a doll baby, but I simply can't stand success, so I sold it to guitar player in a small band. I really meant a small band, they were all short. One thing about it, I don't just toss 'em out there on the CL and let just anybody have them. It's like I'm running an adoption agency, if they don't meet certain criteria they can't have it. (The main criteria is cash on the barrel head, we can work with the rest of it)

15. cyclopean

cyclopean Poster Extraordinaire

The middle pickup is exactly where my strum passes through, so I’ve never clicked with a standard strat.

And those body contours make it feel like it’s trying to get away from you when you play it.

I prefer teles and jaguars, and i feel that most single coil fender guitars sound similar enough that you can put them to work in the same roles.

drmordo likes this.
  16. cyclopean

cyclopean Poster Extraordinaire

EG if i was going to start a surf band with another guitarist, I’d be ok with them showing up with any single coil fender style guitar with a vibrato on it. Although preferably another jag so we have at least slightly different sounds.

17. drmordo

drmordo Tele-Holic

My first guitar around 1987 was an 80s Ibanez Strat Copy.

I have played strats on and off ever since, but honestly I never have gotten used to picking around the middle pickup. It's just in my way.

FWIW, I recently built a strat with the Clapton wiring, and I just love it. It has master volume, TBX tone (which I love) and an MDX mid boost. It isn't just a booster, as it's also an active eq that flattens the bright strat PUs and makes them sound more humbucker-ish.

I could live without the MDX except that it ends up boosting the whole guitar even when turned down, and that boost is just enough to make the guitar sing. It's a great setup.

18. Willie Johnson

Willie Johnson Tele-Holic

I wouldn't want to be without a volume pot, but I'd think you could add a switch to put the pickups in and out of phase with each other or in series/parallel. The new Fender Lead models have a toggle switch that does one of those.

19. Informal

Informal Tele-Afflicted

I am shocked by the "Block or delete the trem" answers!

Well... not really... Truth be told, If I didn't need to get my James Wilsey fix once or twice a week, I probably wouldn't even have a strat lol.

But in all honesty, it's floating with 2 springs, and stays in tune like a champ!

I like the middle position, but I have it slammed almost level with the pickguard, 40ish years with strats... and I still never adapted to it sitting in my sweet spot.

This thread reminds me.... I always wanted to delete the tone knobs, and set the volume pot to where the middle tone pot is, So I'm gonna order that now. :lol:

Strat red.jpg

ndcaster and AAT65 like this.
  20. bumnote

bumnote Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

Play with the trem...you may like it floating, docked try both. I have three Strats, one floats, one's docked, one's a hardtail.
    There is one thing they all have in common....
    72FB8F18-D516-4139-8DC3-6376AACA0F25.jpeg 3F2F657E-52C5-49D1-8402-FB2CD364CEAB.jpeg 048D8BB3-81E0-4079-A058-48B50A7B06CE.jpeg

I ALWAYS install a mini switch so I can get the neck/bridge combo. It's Tele-like with those two pickups together, but with the mini switch I don't lose any "regular" Strat functions.

YYZman and ndcaster like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.