The Tele neck pickup is good but I prefer the Strat pickup

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Revelation, Aug 23, 2018.

1. Revelation

Revelation Tele-Meister

I have done several recordings with the Telecaster front pickup clean Channel and compared it to our recordings done with the Stratocaster front pickup clean Channel. I find the Telecaster pickup to have a smoother and slightly thinner sound compared to the Strat.

The Strat has a fuller and more funky type sound that I prefer in more situations over the tele. I can understand now why some people change the pickup in the Telecaster to a humbucker or something else.

Don't get me wrong, I still like the Telecaster front pickup and it's very useful in many situations. I would never want to change the pickup in my tele professional. I mean if I want a Stratocaster sound, I would just play a strat. However if I had a second Telecaster I can see considering changing the front pickup to a fuller single coil. I still would want the pickup to have Tele sound just Fuller. Perhaps the Seymour Duncan may be a good option.
    https://www.seymourduncan.com/pickup/five-two-tele-neck?__uuid_ref=5b7eb1b6e71da

Papa Joe likes this.
  2. SonsOfMoog

SonsOfMoog Tele-Meister

1535030399237.jpg

Just kidding, the strat pick up is jangly and bluesy. There's plenty to love. The chrome cover on the tele neck pickup helps to make it mellow.

3. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Between the two, I prefer the Strat pickup, too.
    The late Clarence White, and Marty Stuart would no doubt agree!

DHart and Bruxist like this.
  4. ricardo1912

ricardo1912 Tele-Afflicted

I think the pickups in the 50s Baja address a lot of that. The neck pup is marketed as being more 'stratty' and it seems to work. I like the neck pup on a Strat and position 4 but want a Tele for most other stuff.

DHart, Tim S and Revelation like this.
  5. Aaron1061

Aaron1061 Tele-Holic

try the lioness from rob at cavalier pickups

mimmo, Teleguy61 and DHart like this.
  6. jackal

jackal Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I've got strat pickups in all my teles but one----and it has a Lollar Royal T.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2018
    DHart and ballynally2 like this.
  7. Revelation

Revelation Tele-Meister

The Quarter Pounder is another option as well, as long as it's not too full or loud compared to the back pickup.

t guitar floyd likes this.
  8. Bruxist

Bruxist Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

And Kenny Vaughan and Jerry Donahue!

I considered it, but I already have strats, so I wanted to do something different. I keep waffling between a PAF-style and an uncovered tele pickup.

Makes for a versatile gigging guitar, definitely.

juberstudent and brookdalebill like this.
  9. Revelation

Revelation Tele-Meister

One thing I must add, with the professional tele, when you use both pickups together, I just love the sound very much. I actually prefer it over the Stratocaster toggle switch two or four. There's more snap and punch and more clear sound and not so quacky. The quack is definitely good for a lot of things, but this sound you get on the Tele with those pickups, its just so wonderful in so many applications. If I change the front pickup, it would change that beautiful Harmony between the standard pickups on the Fender Telecaster. In one way I would not want change that combination tone by changing pickups

SlappyDuck and GuitarPlayerFL like this.
  10. Praxis

Praxis Tele-Meister

I like 'em both; I have guitars with tele neck pickups, and guitars with strat neck pickups. They each have their virtues.

I've never found a strat bridge pickup I like as much as a tele bridge pickup, though.

11. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

I have a Strat-ish pickup on its way from Bootstrap Pickups to put in the MIDDLE position of my Tele, which already has their Palo Duro pickups in bridge and neck. Will report back when it arrives and I get it installed.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2018
  12. GuitarPlayerFL

GuitarPlayerFL TDPRI Member

I would consider using something like an RC Booster for more oomph and adjusting the EQ on the pedal when needed for stock Tele pickups. Then one can retain the classic sound.

Revelation likes this.
  13. beninma

beninma Friend of Leo's

There are so many different neck pickups, I don't think you can generalize that much.

I have a Lollar Vintage T neck pickup in my Tele, I'll take it over a lot of the Strats I've played.

Likewise I previously had the ceramic MIM neck pickup, I'm sure there are a lot of Strats with a pickup I'd like better than that one.

14. Papa Joe

Papa Joe Friend of Leo's

Well then, the answer is the Rose Bourbon pickup..It's a Strat pickup in a Tele size..Drops right in with zero mods to the pickguard or body..
    I have one and find it to be the best sounding Tele neck pickup that I've ever played..
    I have mine uncovered..

Ricky D. likes this.
  15. JeffBlue

JeffBlue Tele-Afflicted

For the most part I've noticed that a start pickup in the neck of a tele, the pole pieces do not line up perfectly with the strings. I like a tele neck pickup in the neck of a tele or either a P90, humbucker or a mini humbucker.

16. 724SP

724SP Tele-Meister

I have a Don Mare S-Telly neck pickup that I really like. It’s wound onto taller magnets and definitely has more of the strat neck tone while retaining the stock tele neck look. It also sounds fantastic in the middle position. Just something to check out as an option! As much as I like the sound of a strat neck pickup, I like to keep the traditional tele appearance. Just me...

Greggorios and Ricky D. like this.
  17. AxemanVR

AxemanVR Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

18. PCollen

PCollen Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

...and, you can get a plastic chrome-finished cover.

19. SonsOfMoog

SonsOfMoog Tele-Meister

I had a Keystone tele neck pickup that was built without a cover. The pole pieces were exposed and sounded zingy.

20. Revelation

Revelation Tele-Meister

I need to mention switching to heavier picks and of different material really can change the sound of your guitar. Playing those blue tortoise shell picks for instance gives the front pickup of a Tele a fuller sound. It makes the front pickup of the Tele more satisfying for me.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.